Tour de France 2023 build up

Comments

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,808
    Ha was coming here to post exactly that.

The phrase "Pound Shop jersey" springs to mind but equally apt would be "imagine if Lidl designed a jersey"
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,785

The Lidl-Trek kit is really minging.

Trek, ineos, Bahrain , arkea from varying angles can all look the same . Vexes me

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited June 2023

I like it. The sponsors are very visible and draw the eye. The arms are distinctive so easy to spot. The back is even easier to spot. It accomplishes the key jobs. This isn't designed to impress your Tinder date.
    And the apparently they have ruined national champs jerseys which is a bonus.

It's very Lidl. No frills functionality. Bosh!

Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    It's Trek trying to save on frames that really needs sorting out....

• RichN95.
    And shame on Denmark for ruining this jersey. Just because he won a race in Denmark against the weakest field he'll race all year, it doesn't mean you can impose yourself.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,500
    All you want is easy recognition from the head on and the heli shot.
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

I like it. The sponsors are very visible and draw the eye. The arms are distinctive so easy to spot. The back is even easier to spot. It accomplishes the key jobs. This isn't designed to impress your Tinder date.
    And the apparently they have ruined national champs jerseys which is a bonus.

It's very Lidl. No frills functionality. Bosh!

At least it looks different to ineos Bahrain and arkea now
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

And shame on Denmark for ruining this jersey. Just because he won a race in Denmark against the weakest field he'll race all year, it doesn't mean you can impose yourself.

. It's like adding advertising to jesus on a cross .

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,713
    It just looks like they designed it and then realised they needed the sponsor's logo on it.

Why are there multiple shades of blue, none of which match the sponsor's logo shade of blue? Except on the arm, where it overlaps with another different blue.

The back isn't quite so bad, and the USA national champs kit is nicely garish, but the Denmark and Luxembourg ones are not good.
  • takethehighroad
    Posted on PTP (to explain why I haven't picked a S1 pick yet) but this is one of the most open 1st stages that I can remember

2011 on the Cote De Cadoudal springs to mind but Gilbert was in 2011 form, so maybe the same finish in 2008 was more open

The steep climb followed by a descent and then a section of flat opens it up to so many pretenders

The puncheurs will punch and the grippy sprinters (Matthews, maybe Philipsen) will try and hang in and get their teams to chase on the flat back to Bilbao

Then throw in the chance of Pogification, and the fact that if he goes the rest of the GC guys will have to try and go with him
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 824
    Looks like Lidl have staged a coup in Denmark and redesigned the flag in haste.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • mididoctors

Posted on PTP (to explain why I haven't picked a S1 pick yet) but this is one of the most open 1st stages that I can remember

2011 on the Cote De Cadoudal springs to mind but Gilbert was in 2011 form, so maybe the same finish in 2008 was more open

The steep climb followed by a descent and then a section of flat opens it up to so many pretenders

The puncheurs will punch and the grippy sprinters (Matthews, maybe Philipsen) will try and hang in and get their teams to chase on the flat back to Bilbao

Then throw in the chance of Pogification, and the fact that if he goes the rest of the GC guys will have to try and go with him

I went pog because in all the scenarios he is still likely to be at the sharp end
  • mididoctors
    Interesting format .... Optimistic on timing accuracy?
  • kingstongraham

Interesting format .... Optimistic on timing accuracy?
    First time is earliest time on the estimated schedule for the sprint/summit. I like the general vibe of it though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,103

It just looks like they designed it and then realised they needed the sponsor's logo on it.

Why are there multiple shades of blue, none of which match the sponsor's logo shade of blue? Except on the arm, where it overlaps with another different blue.

The back isn't quite so bad, and the USA national champs kit is nicely garish, but the Denmark and Luxembourg ones are not good.

Yeah, I don't understand why they don't have the top in the blue from the Lidl logo then just have the yellow circle on that without the border. The Trek logo looks even more out of place. It feels like someone was sent to the local bike shop for a batch of jerseys in roughly the sponsors colours and to then go to the local hen do t-shirt printing place to get some logos stuck on. They've probably got their names printed on the back with France '23 underneath.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Even by the standards of team presentations this is terrible. Even Mark Cavendish's look of confused suspicion at being lauded by a giant cartoon toddler can't rescue this

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,567
    Yuk. Mark Cavendish in an Astana Jersey.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,440

If Matthews wins, I think the whole peloton will be shocked.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,168

Even by the standards of team presentations this is terrible. Even Mark Cavendish's look of confused suspicion at being lauded by a giant cartoon toddler can't rescue this

In 2023 it's pretty shocking, and to be blunt, amateur. The world's supposed biggest sporting event.......Get people in who know what they're doing, not these clowns.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,021
    gsk82 said:

Yuk. Mark Cavendish in an Astana Jersey.

I think that’s preferable to being forced to retire before your time?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,500
    andyrac said:

In 2023 it's pretty shocking, and to be blunt, amateur. The world's supposed biggest sporting event.......Get people in who know what they're doing, not these clowns.
    Not a dig at you, but I do wonder because brits have such high quality international level entertainment, music, sports (football, tennis etc), that they sometimes don't realise how much more budget and amateur stuff is on the continent.

Maybe it's because when it's not english speaking they don't need to compete with the highly (overly) polished American stuff, I don't know.

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,090
    Christian Prudhomme, patron of the Tour de France, has said he's concerned about the affect the current riots will have on the race. 28,000 members of the security services are used during the race. He says he's in constant touch with the interior ministry to discuss the evolution of the situation. In theory security will be reinforced this year in France after a number of incidents on the road side.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mididoctors
    davidof said:

Christian Prudhomme, patron of the Tour de France, has said he's concerned about the affect the current riots will have on the race. 28,000 members of the security services are used during the race. He says he's in constant touch with the interior ministry to discuss the evolution of the situation. In theory security will be reinforced this year in France after a number of incidents on the road side.

Think they will be burnt out by early next week

• kingstongraham
    It's the Tour tomorrow! I'm so excited.
  • RichN95.
    I like to put bookie's odds on these threads for later reference

(Paddy Power)
    11/10 Vingegaard
    5/4 Pogacar
    12/1 Hindley
    25/1 Skjelmose, Mas
    30/1 O'Connor
    33/1 Gaudu
    40/1 Yates x2, Carapaz
    45/1 Pidcock
    60.1 Bernal

I'm not sure I can remember a less open Tour.

My prediction - one of the top two won't make it to the first rest day
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    Who will be the Zubeldia this year?

I've heard a lot it will be Torstein Træen
  • RichN95.
    jimmyjams said:

Who will be the Zubeldia this year?

I've heard a lot it will be Torstein Træen

Dani Martinez or Emmanuel Buchamann
  • takethehighroad
    Can Enric Mas count as a Zubeldia when we know that they're his tactics?

Lutsenko is in the same category