Tour de France 2023 build up

Comments

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,808
    Maybe riders could volunteer themselves for the White Jersey, in the knowledge that they won't be eligible for the Yellow?

This would open it to younger riders and the bottom half of the top 10 and may make it a better competition than it has been recently, when it's been a side show to the Yellow
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,525

Maybe riders could volunteer themselves for the White Jersey, in the knowledge that they won't be eligible for the Yellow?

This would open it to younger riders and the bottom half of the top 10 and may make it a better competition than it has been recently, when it's been a side show to the Yellow

That would make it even worse.
    I think it's fine as it is tbh, I don't see the problem. It's not incredibly exciting at the moment, but that's a bit of a fluke. I'm pretty sure it becomes more valuable as soon as Pogacar is too old
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,500
    edited June 2023

Is pog going to be ready ?

He's riding out of the saddle and without his wrist support. Here's hoping.
    With this break the challenge isn’t so much being out of the saddle - it’s being able to sit on the bike for a long time, especially being able to take the bumps in the road repeatedly.

At least that was my experience.

Potholes can really f@cking hurt in the recovery.

(Lord knows there are enough of them)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

Is pog going to be ready ?

He's riding out of the saddle and without his wrist support. Here's hoping.
    With this break the challenge isn’t so much being out of the saddle - it’s being able to sit on the bike for a long time, especially being able to take the bumps in the road repeatedly.

At least that was my experience.

Potholes can really f@cking hurt in the recovery.

(Lord knows there are enough of them)
    As I understand it, he's been in the altitude training facility up Pico Veleta. The road past the barrier is pretty bumpy so he's had plenty of opportunity to test it out.
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 513
    Maybe the white jersey could be awarded to the top "rookie", i.e. a rider in their first Grand Tour. It's certainly lost its value in recent years with Bernal's win as well as Pogacar's, it remains to be seen if this is a blip or a sign of a more lasting change.

It is strange given that the average age of the riders has been increasing in recent years. I guess this is due to improvements in training, but it also seems to coincide with the crackdown on doping.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,713
    This is the profile of the circuit Slovenia national road champs - should find out from 8 times around this on Sunday if he's in any pain.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,363
    Sam Bennett not selected by Bora
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Maybe the white jersey could be awarded to the top "rookie", i.e. a rider in their first Grand Tour. It's certainly lost its value in recent years with Bernal's win as well as Pogacar's, it remains to be seen if this is a blip or a sign of a more lasting change.

It is strange given that the average age of the riders has been increasing in recent years. I guess this is due to improvements in training, but it also seems to coincide with the crackdown on doping.

Its value is pretty much the same as it has always been, like when Fignon, Ullrich and Schleck won it while winning yellow
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    edited June 2023

Sam Bennett not selected by Bora

If true then he won’t be a happy boy unless he’s just got injured or Ill.

Yup, Bora tweeted the lineup barring a climber - no Sam.
  • kingstongraham
    HERE WE GO. Let's get the band back together (sort of).

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,363

HERE WE GO. Let's get the band back together (sort of).

Bet he's glad he no longer looks like Prince Harry! :D
  • kingstongraham
    Someone needs to tell them how to guide him into a sprint. Either that or he needs to quickly move to Ineos and have Thomas in the team as leadout.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,862
    Looking more like Mark Lamarr from back in the day.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • takethehighroad
    I'm confused now though. I read his insta post as he was back riding. But this seems like he's just an extra DS?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,185
    Ah c'mon, Mark R is now 40. Time ticks on by.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    I hope Cavendish takes a stage early on and gets a lap of honour round France

Though the Disney ending is the win coming in Paris
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    I probably should have wrote Netflix ending
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,500

I hope Cavendish takes a stage early on and gets a lap of honour round France

Though the Disney ending is the win coming in Paris

Stage 3 is the first one, which I think works in his favour; he seems to do better deeper into GTs nowadays.

Other sprint stages are:
    Stage 4
    Stage 7
    stage 11
    stage 19
    stage 21

• takethehighroad
    Froome not dropping at the first railway bridge every day is what I think you mean
  • kingstongraham
    He always got the team kit on the coverage every day.
  • kingstongraham

It was problems with the bike that did for him apparently, and he's looking forward to riding the TdF 2024.

Is it right he's got two years left on his contract?
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,380
    He's out of contract at the end of the year according to Pro Cycling Stats
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 397
    Jayco and Wanty announce their teams

Would love to see Girmay get a stage or two.
  • kingstongraham
    I like the look of that Intermarche team. Is Teunissen there to help Girmay or to sprint for himself?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Girmay - Mads P - Van Aert - Van Der Poel
    all on for those slightly lumpier than your standard boulevard sprint finales, this should be good!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,694
    edited June 2023

10 years uninterrupted service for the Australian team and all Simon Yates is worth is Chris Harper.
    All in for stage wins from Dylan Groenewegen is the polar opposite approach to GroupamaFDJ and Gaudu.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,440

10 years uninterrupted service for the Australian team and all Simon Yates is worth is Chris Harper.
    All in for stage wins from Dylan Groenewegen is the polar opposite approach to GroupamaFDJ and Gaudu.

Groenewegen has won five Tour stages in his career, Simon Yates has won two.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,694
    andyp said:

Groenewegen has won five Tour stages in his career, Simon Yates has won two.
    If it’s purely a numbers game, Michael Matthews has won four.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.