Tour de France 2023 build up

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,440
    RichN95. said:

phreak said:

andyp said:

Are we really comparing Evenepoel to Gilberto Simoni? He's already got a more impressive palmares and is just 23, and lost a significant part of his nascent career to a major injury.

Obviously not in terms of his overall palmares, but my point was that Simoni always looked the dogs nuts in the Giro and then stank the place out in the Tour. Zulle, Rominger, Jalabert et al have all done well in the Giro/Vuelta but fallen well short in the Tour. People are saying that Remco is already in the same group as Pog and JV, I'm just saying that he has a lot to prove before being spoken of in that bracket imo.

Talking of Rominger, it's remarkable how closely his and Roglic's palmares currently match up.

3 Vuelta wins each
    1 Giro win each
    Best at Tour: 2nd
    Tour stages 3 each
    Big one week races - 9 wins each
    Giro stages 5 v 4
    Vuelta stages 13 v 10
    Monuments 2 v 1

(Rominger's numbers first)

Of course Roglic still has plenty left in him
    Both didn't start winning consistently at the highest level until they were 29/30 either.

I wonder if Roglic fancies a go at the hour record, he's got as much track pedigree as Rominger...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,785
    Tony could sport the cap .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,454
    RichN95. said:

phreak said:

andyp said:

Are we really comparing Evenepoel to Gilberto Simoni? He's already got a more impressive palmares and is just 23, and lost a significant part of his nascent career to a major injury.

Obviously not in terms of his overall palmares, but my point was that Simoni always looked the dogs nuts in the Giro and then stank the place out in the Tour. Zulle, Rominger, Jalabert et al have all done well in the Giro/Vuelta but fallen well short in the Tour. People are saying that Remco is already in the same group as Pog and JV, I'm just saying that he has a lot to prove before being spoken of in that bracket imo.

Talking of Rominger, it's remarkable how closely his and Roglic's palmares currently match up.

3 Vuelta wins each
    1 Giro win each
    Best at Tour: 2nd
    Tour stages 3 each
    Big one week races - 9 wins each
    Giro stages 5 v 4
    Vuelta stages 13 v 10
    Monuments 2 v 1

(Rominger's numbers first)

Of course Roglic still has plenty left in him
    Rominger also broked the world hour record. Not sure if that is counted in his palmares.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    It's a shame how things have panned out for Bernal.

I'd have put him in the top tier
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,924

It's a shame how things have panned out for Bernal.

Everyone would have, pre-crash. There’s a lesson for all looking at a long career in there.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559

True.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

Rominger seemed to wear one as a normal person might, whereas Indurain went full luft.
  • mididoctors
    phreak said:

Rominger seemed to wear one as a normal person might, whereas Indurain went full luft.

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,500
    Wasn’t luft all about demonstrating you had great hair?

• andyp

Which was a problem for Rominger.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,500
    andyp said:

Which was a problem for Rominger.
    Exactly
  • It's a shame how things have panned out for Bernal.

Personally I could only see him being a rung below Pog/Jonas - couldn't see him finding enough in the mountains to overcome the deficits he'd see in the TTs
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

I think that was the original thing, but it became the defacto style. I mean Marco didn't have much to shout about follicly

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,713
    FDJ not taking Demare.

Maybe they see something in Gaudu that isn't obvious to anyone who watches cycling. Or just enjoy not being involved in loads of stages.
  • pblakeney

FDJ not taking Demare.

Maybe they see something in Gaudu that isn't obvious to anyone who watches cycling. Or just enjoy not being involved in loads of stages.

IIRC from my PTP picks Demare was often involved but rarely won.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • andyp
    edited June 2023

FDJ not taking Demare.

We have no idea if Gaudu came into the Dauphine carrying a lot of fatigue or not, i.e. it was part of a heavy training block to prepare him for the Tour.

The team obviously have confidence in him, and team cohesion is important so not bringing Demare, who we know doesn't get on with Gaudu, seems like the logical move. It's not as if Demare has been making their job hard by winning lots of races this year. He's won two sh*tty little races so far.
  • kingstongraham
    edited June 2023
    When there's 8 potential sprint stages, I just think maybe they should hedge their bets a bit when the main options are Pinot and Gaudu.

Or they should take Lenny.
  • andyp
    edited June 2023
    Demare has ridden five Tours and won two stages, the last in 2018. I don't think including him is worth the tension it'd bring to the team.

Martinez is nineteen, let's allow him to mature a bit as a rider first.
  • kingstongraham
    andyp said:

(that bit wasn't serious, but he's going to be a star)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,525
    Madiot not got his thinking cap on here - the Gaudu V Demare internal rivalry would have made a cracking episode of the next TdF Unchained
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor

andyp said:

(that bit wasn't serious, but he's going to be a star)
    He could put on a growth spurt that nearly doubles his weight though
  • mididoctors
    pblakeney said:

FDJ not taking Demare.

Did really well at the giro back a while
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

pblakeney said:

FDJ not taking Demare.

Three stages and the points jersey last year. Four stages in 2020.

He's only done the Tour three times. Last time in 2018. He's won a stage the last two times.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

FDJ not taking Demare.

I did say IIRC. 😂
    Three stages was probably why I picked him for the wrong stages. 😉 2020 is 3 years ago so….
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • andyp
    RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

FDJ not taking Demare.

He's only done the Tour three times. Last time in 2018. He's won a stage the last two times.
    Demare rode the Tour in 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 and 2021. He won a stage in both 2017 and 2018.
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

FDJ not taking Demare.

Rich with all the stats

• andyp

RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

FDJ not taking Demare.

Rich with all the stats

Except they are wrong.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    andyp said:

RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

FDJ not taking Demare.

Rich with all the stats

Except they are wrong.
    Think Rich may have forgotten that DNFs can happen
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    So what's the plan for Ineos in this Tour then? I'm guessing ride on the front all the time and then never win anything.
  • kingstongraham
    mrb123 said:

So what's the plan for Ineos in this Tour then? I'm guessing ride on the front all the time and then never win anything.

Bernal has been riding some of the route, so I guess hope for the best. I'd be surprised if he had enough.