Tour de France 2023 build up

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

andyp said:

RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

FDJ not taking Demare.

Maybe they see something in Gaudu that isn't obvious to anyone who watches cycling. Or just enjoy not being involved in loads of stages.

IIRC from my PTP picks Demare was often involved but rarely won.
    Did really well at the giro back a while
    Three stages and the points jersey last year. Four stages in 2020.

He's only done the Tour three times. Last time in 2018. He's won a stage the last two times.
    Rich with all the stats

Except they are wrong.
    Think Rich may have forgotten that DNFs can happen
    He didn't get many ranking points in 2014 and 2015 so I just missed them as I had the points scoring filter on
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,440
    mrb123 said:

So what's the plan for Ineos in this Tour then? I'm guessing ride on the front all the time and then never win anything.

Remember how they rode the Giro in 2020? I wish they'd ride the Tour like that one year, probably without the GC win at the end though, obviously. But if they could just go on the attack a lot, and shake the race up, it'd do their public image a lot of good.

But it's more likely they'll do what you describe.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,924
    edited June 2023
    andyp said:

mrb123 said:

So what's the plan for Ineos in this Tour then? I'm guessing ride on the front all the time and then never win anything.

Remember how they rode the Giro in 2020? I wish they'd ride the Tour like that one year, probably without the GC win at the end though, obviously. But if they could just go on the attack a lot, and shake the race up, it'd do their public image a lot of good.

My thoughts precisely.
    Watching Tour de France Unchained and it was clear that Gee was less than happy at Pidcock being allowed off the leash.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 503
    andyp said:

mrb123 said:

I don’t see Bernal or Martinez getting on the podium so they would be as well going stage hunting and going for the team prize.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 503
    andyp said:

mrb123 said:

I don’t see Bernal or Martinez getting on the podium so they would be as well going stage hunting and going for the team prize.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    pblakeney said:

andyp said:

mrb123 said:

My thoughts precisely.
    Watching Tour de France Unchained and it was clear that Gee was less than happy at Pidcock being allowed off the leash.
    I'm not so sure about that. Thomas makes his point but immediately undercuts it by emphasising the context - ie he's thinking about himself. That extra bit of information helps give the team all the facts, rather than it just being pure G self-interest.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

andyp said:

mrb123 said:

My thoughts precisely.
    I'm not so sure about that. Thomas makes his point but immediately undercuts it by emphasising the context - ie he's thinking about himself. That extra bit of information helps give the team all the facts, rather than it just being pure G self-interest.
    Yeah, he acknowledges that he is part of a team but he wasn’t happy. While the Ineos way is to concentrate on GC they currently need more days like that.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,185
    There was a bit of chatter between Rob Hatch and the Dutch female co-com (Jip van den Bos?) about WvA's partner expecting their 2nd child during the Tdf. So Wout would depart the Tour. Given the variability in birth timings, sensible of JV to take WvA when he might do one after 3-4 days?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,525
    orraloon said:

There was a bit of chatter between Rob Hatch and the Dutch female co-com (Jip van den Bos?) about WvA's partner expecting their 2nd child during the Tdf. So Wout would depart the Tour. Given the variability in birth timings, sensible of JV to take WvA when he might do one after 3-4 days?

Given the lumpy start, he could well have a stage or two in the bag by then anyway
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,500
    orraloon said:

He’s so good in GTs. Unbelievably good. Gotta take him.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,018
    When is the due date?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey

When is the due date?

Last week of the tour iirc. Pretty sure it’s not his first though so they tend to come out faster….
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,713
    That's bad planning.
  • rick_chasey
    Meh these things aren’t easy to plan…
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,103

Didn’t you do human biology in school?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    A winter baby? And miss a Cyclo-cross race?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham

He's got August to November to aim for. Surely be better to miss the Tour of Britain.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,593
    Pross said:

Didn’t you do human biology in school?
    TBF they are easy to plan if you find it easy to get pregnant, not if it takes a while.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

He misses some cyclo-cross races every winter
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pblakeney
    RichN95. said:

He misses some cyclo-cross races every winter
    November? Now we know why. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,785
    Is pog going to be ready ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,440
    He won't start if he isn't, I'm sure.
  • kingstongraham

He's riding out of the saddle and without his wrist support. Here's hoping.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,103
    de_sisti said:

I believe there is room for improvement in the classification of young riders based on age. While I understand that age is relative in the context of cycling, considering 25 as the threshold for young riders seems somewhat high. In my opinion, lowering the age to 23 would be a more fitting criterion for categorizing cyclists as young riders in the realm of professional cycling.

It would also align with what is used at World and National championships.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777

He's riding out of the saddle and without his wrist support. Here's hoping.
    What I read was that he wondering how he would fare if and when he rode 'out of the saddle', when he participates soon in the Slovenia national championships.
    Although I expect he has already tried it, at his training camps in the Sierra Nevada and at Sestriere.

I wonder what one does for training at Sestriere – go up and down the two sides of the same pass, maybe do a circuit up to Mont-Cenis? Not the most exciting place to be.
    I've never been struck by Girona either (there may have been other reasons for choosing there in the past, but I believe it is still popular)
  • jimmyjams
    Pross said:

de_sisti said:

I believe there is room for improvement in the classification of young riders based on age. While I understand that age is relative in the context of cycling, considering 25 as the threshold for young riders seems somewhat high. In my opinion, lowering the age to 23 would be a more fitting criterion for categorizing cyclists as young riders in the realm of professional cycling.

It would also align with what is used at World and National championships.
    I agree with this – in many sports, including football as well as cycling, participants/athletes attain 'top level' at an earlier age than their previous generations. The same happened already a couple of decades ago in gymnastics and ice skating.

But in order that the 'late-starter' doesn't miss out, I would like to see a competition/jersey for first-timers who don't meet a U-23 criteria. By first-timers, I mean first participation ever in one of the 3 main GT.
  • jimmyjams
    r0bh said:
    Not that it really matters, but haven't 4 teams (not before just one and now two) already announced their selection? Groupama, Jumbo, Lotto and Uno-X.
    (Not getting at you r0bh, rather at the FirstCycling website)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,018
    Re the young riders jersey if we are going to keep it then reducing the age or some other tweak does make sense - I think I'd just bin it though. I'd get more enjoyment from an old riders jersey - maybe see a couple of veterans whose careers we've followed slugging it out.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]