Energy thread

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392

Jezyboy said:

I know I will get shot down but bear with me. In one of the many "how to cut your bills" features was the suggestion that defrosting things in your fridge can save up to £9 a year.

It struck me that people are being too narrow minded in their cost cutting endeavours and that there is much lower fruit to be picked.

If each household cut one artisan crushed avocado macchiato a week they would save £200 which far outweighs most energy saving tips.

This is not aimed at the genuine poor but the people of this parish discussing new clothing and tweaking the thermostat

Or a pint of real ale, for balance.
    Apparently 7 out of 10 pubs predicted to shut due to the costs of energy. So it should be easy to avoid buying that pint.
    People should wear a jumper when they go to the pub.
    The busier a pub is the less it will need to use heating so the best bet is to sell really cheap beer so that you get the crowds, wait for those around you to close and then up the prices to get the balance of a crowded pub and maximum income.
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,512
    edited September 2022

If you think £500 a year is making the difference, you're not really looking at the bigger picture

FFS. Stop being a patronising tw*t. I know you think your "World View" is the only one that can possibly be correct, but this is simply the arrogance of youth rather than anything to do with any unique brilliance that you think you have. Eventually you will grow up and learn to appreciate your own fallibility and be much wiser as a result.

And £80-£100 a month is just a little more than £500 a year, particularly if you factor in tax relief on contributions.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632

If you think £500 a year is making the difference, you're not really looking at the bigger picture

FFS. Stop being a patronising tw*t. I know you think your "World View" is the only one that can possibly be correct, but this is simply the arrogance of youth rather than anything to do with any unique brilliance that you think you have. Eventually you will grow up and learn to appreciate your own fallibility and be much wiser as a result.

And £80-£100 a month is just a little more than £500 a year, particularly if you factor in tax relief on contributions.

This is enormously patronising for someone who seems so upset that someone is patronising them.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62791113

Mr Kwarteng - tipped to be named chancellor if Ms Truss wins - suggested he would look at the UK's rules on government borrowing and spending - called fiscal rules - to see if they still work for the economy.

The Treasury is allowed to suspend its fiscal rules in the event of a "significant negative shock to the UK economy".

However, Mr Kwarteng sought to reassure markets that the UK had space to borrow more and that it would be done in a "fiscally responsible way".

That's fine then.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • It's going to be a bit of a laugh if Sunak ends up winning. In terms of egg on face.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 140

Tbh I’m trying to

TBF I cut out all coffee out since I became the sole earner and this year I now take a packed lunch whenever I am in the office.

Off-topic, but even as long ago as the late 90s / early 00s, the "Starbucks Pension" was a concept. It described the situation whereby the younger members of the workforce were forgoing a decent personal pension fund when they eventually retired by diverting circa £80-£100 a month to Starbucks etc. for overpriced coffees.

AFAIK, Starbucks etc. have continued to prosper, with criticising people who spend their money there and then claim to be skint falling out of fashion.

The amount younger people spend on coffee is about the same as they save on booze.

I guess the argument could be that by choosing a healthier option they need to save more as they'll live longer.
    They spend on coffee during the working week then on booze, weed and late night takeaway at the weekend so no saving at all. Oftentimes eating crap food

TBF I cut out all coffee out since I became the sole earner and this year I now take a packed lunch whenever I am in the office.

Off-topic, but even as long ago as the late 90s / early 00s, the "Starbucks Pension" was a concept. It described the situation whereby the younger members of the workforce were forgoing a decent personal pension fund when they eventually retired by diverting circa £80-£100 a month to Starbucks etc. for overpriced coffees.

AFAIK, Starbucks etc. have continued to prosper, with criticising people who spend their money there and then claim to be skint falling out of fashion.

The amount younger people spend on coffee is about the same as they save on booze.

I guess the argument could be that by choosing a healthier option they need to save more as they'll live longer.

it's all irrelevant in the grand scheme however.

It is often coffee during the working week and booze, weed and late night takeaway at the weekend.
  • It's going to be a bit of a laugh if Sunak ends up winning. In terms of egg on face.

It's going to be declared a draw, so that the Tories can carry on not governing and therefore not having to give a damn. :p
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,560
    That sounds like all the benefit claimants with their sky and flat screen tvs.
  • pangolin said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62791113

Mr Kwarteng - tipped to be named chancellor if Ms Truss wins - suggested he would look at the UK's rules on government borrowing and spending - called fiscal rules - to see if they still work for the economy.

The Treasury is allowed to suspend its fiscal rules in the event of a "significant negative shock to the UK economy".

However, Mr Kwarteng sought to reassure markets that the UK had space to borrow more and that it would be done in a "fiscally responsible way".

That's fine then.
    I am sure those fiscal rules under Brown/Blair were to not run a deficit each year, then it became over the lifetime of the Parliament and we seemed to whizz through the % must be lower than growth. For some strange reason the importance of debt servicing costs seems to no longer be the preferred measure.

Can @rick_chasey or @TheBigBean explain why they care about the debt markets and don't just go back to buying their on debt?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited September 2022

I was cutting you some slack with the numbers.

if you're buying coffee out 5 times a week, every week, no breaks, no holidays, 52 weeks a year and you're spending a grand a year on it, you're buying awfully expensive coffee
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058
    edited September 2022

I was cutting you some slack with the numbers.

if you're buying coffee out 5 times a week, every week, no breaks, no holidays, 52 weeks a year and you're spending a grand a year on it, you're buying awfully expensive coffee
    It is interesting all this and I bet the Warren Buffet types jump on it. It's real world evidence of how multinationals will be impacted.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,158
    Will Costa etc survive when everybody starts seriously cutting back?
    This is still summer weather and the October rates are still to land, obviously.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Will Costa etc survive when everybody starts seriously cutting back?
    This is still summer weather and the October rates are still to land, obviously.

Well, and then there is the extra energy costs. I know it's a capital society and everything, but akin to Covid, it is disgusting we know there will be some companies making a bloody killing during this.

It's hardly "we're all in this together" in a united effort. It's more who can run faster than the next man being chased by a Lion.

• CBA to do any checking if discussed already, but curious just what impact the whole energy cost issue will have on things like....

- Social media and "free" internet pages, such as Facebook and even BikeRadar here for example. Can't be cheap to run the hardware for these sites, wherever they're hosted? Subscription model coming soon to a web page near you perhaps.
    - Cryptocurrency. Famous for chewing vast amounts of power. Does it mean the value rockets as no more mining is affordable, or plummets?
    - Amateur and club sports. So many of them rely on after work training and even competition, frequently under lights outdoors, but even indoor lighting costs (and air conditioning/heating) have to be significantly affected. Will that just all stop, either by decree from the Gov to save resource, or simply because nobody can afford it any longer? Unintended consequence - health impact (physical and mental) will be significant.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited September 2022
    I don't drink coffee or tea at all (I can't stand the taste) and I am not sitting on an extra grand per annum in my pension / savings. It goes on some other cr@p I don't need (not entirely sure what).

Edit : I actually pay it into my children's ISA, if you want to count it like that, although about to amend to a pension contribution.

Amazing statistic - if you pay £80 per month into a pension from birth to retirement (plus gov't top up of £20), at 7% compound growth you'd have £1m at 55.

Vs my position now where it needs to be £1000, although at 5%. Sob
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,053

:D

W&G says what quite a few people think...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney

I don't drink coffee or tea at all (I can't stand the taste) and I am not sitting on an extra grand per annum in my pension / savings. It goes on some other cr@p I don't need (not entirely sure what).

Edit : I actually pay it into my children's ISA, if you want to count it like that.

If you don't specifically do something with it then it will simply get swallowed up.
    Good excuse to repost this though. 😉

Woman: Do you drink beer?
    Man: Yes
    Woman: How many beers a day?
    Man: Usually about 3
    Woman: How much do you pay per beer?
    Man: $5.00, including tip
    Woman: And how long have you been drinking?
    Man: About 20 years, I suppose.
    Woman: So a beer costs $5 and you have 3 beers a day, which puts your spending each month at $450, or $5400 annually. Not accounting for inflation, you have spent $108,000 in the last 20 years! That money could 've been put into an investment account and, after accounting for compound interest for the past 20 years, you would now have enough money to buy a Ferrari.
    Man: Do you drink beer?
    Woman: No
    Man: Where’s your Ferrari?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney

CBA to do any checking if discussed already, but curious just what impact the whole energy cost issue will have on things like....

Swimming pools and spas must be most likely to go down the tubes.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited September 2022
    pblakeney said:

Edit : I actually pay it into my children's ISA, if you want to count it like that.

If you don't specifically do something with it then it will simply get swallowed up.

Woman: So a beer costs $5 and you have 3 beers a day, which puts your spending each month at $450, or $5400 annually. Not accounting for inflation, you have spent $108,000 in the last 20 years! That money could 've been put into an investment account and, after accounting for compound interest for the past 20 years, you would now have enough money to buy a Ferrari.
    That's the joke I was thinking when I wrote that I didn't spend it on anything useful.

I also buy a small amount of wine each month.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

You must know that most employers already automatically sign up their staff to a pension anyway.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Surely he's spent $108,000 after accounting for inflation.
  • pblakeney

Surely he's spent $108,000 after accounting for inflation.

You are over thinking this...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

CBA to do any checking if discussed already, but curious just what impact the whole energy cost issue will have on things like....

All that stuff. Gyms with treadmills/spin/step class machinery? Zwift? e-Sports in general.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pblakeney said:

Surely he's spent $108,000 after accounting for inflation.

You are over thinking this...
    She doesn't know what she's talking about. Probably spent it on glasses of white wine.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

All that stuff. Gyms with treadmills/spin/step class machinery? Zwift? e-Sports in general.

I'd go the reverse. Hook them all up to generators. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited September 2022

pblakeney said:

I also buy a small amount of wine each month.
    How many cases?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Two multi millionaires offering depressing prizes to someone who has paid £1 a minute to be on a TV show. Yay.
  • Just a case of 6 or so. Depends what's available. Sometimes I splash out if something good and inexpensive comes up.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I'd go the reverse. Hook them all up to generators. 😉
    I know you're joking but I think gyms have looked at going down that route. It probably isn't efficient with things like treadmills that require power to use but with a spin bike there must be a fair amount of energy going to waste. 30 people in a class pumping out 150 watts each over an hour and 4 classes a day, it's not going to save the world but may as well use it (obviously comes with a cost for the equipment to allow it to connect to the system etc.).