Energy thread

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,158
    Quote (from memory) from an economist this morning on the effects of the energy pricing on Europe. "This is going to be a hard winter, and next 10 years." Buckle up.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    pblakeney said:

Quote (from memory) from an economist this morning on the effects of the energy pricing on Europe. "This is going to be a hard winter, and next 10 years." Buckle up.

At least we’ll have a PM who will delay any additional support towards renewables and nuclear for another 2 years 🙄🙄
  • I think we’re all playing that game.

If the 2 degrees above average trend for this year continues we’ll be ok

Depends where "we" live.
    Cambridge might be OK atm, but here is already becoming borderline. Plus daytine air temperature is set to drop by another 3-4 degrees in the next few days.
    Being away for the second half of the month, I had hoped to avoid the inevitable until October.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Cities tend to be a couple of degrees warmer than a joint in the countryside. Also, the higher you live the colder it gets generally.

Ah, the agonies and the miseries.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2022

I think we’re all playing that game.

Depends where "we" live.
    Cambridge might be OK atm, but here is already becoming borderline. Plus daytine air temperature is set to drop by another 3-4 degrees in the next few days.
    Being away for the second half of the month, I had hoped to avoid the inevitable until October.
    I meant collectively in terms of not running out of gas.
  • Mood music seems to be shifting towards Truss abandoning all her caution about support for energy bills and throwing money at it now that the difficult questions about how that works with tax cuts are too late.

• rick_chasey
    edited September 2022
    Worth paying attention to what the EU does, collectively.

They're meeting up to decide what to do on energy and nothing seems off the table. Even the usually obstinate Germans are pretty open minded, presumably as they're at the centre of the problems. A helpful guide to what other leaders see as politically viable and sensible. I suspect the Brain Truss will need some guidance there....

A lot of pretty aggressive free marketers across the continent seem to be suggesting war-time style price controls is appropriate for the time being. Read something by Martin Wolf about Britons shouldn't be paying "Putin prices".

Clearly the UK doesn't have a huge amount of gas storage (it's already full up) so that should be an immediate area of focus - hopefully with some emergency political will the UK can at least mitigate some of the back-end-of-winter challenges with some of that for the 23/24 winter.

Given Russian gas isn't suddenly going to come online to the West in the next 5 years, it would make sense to take the opportunity to heavily invest in alternatives to gas.

Also over the next 24 months it would make sense to-restart all the efforts to insulate houses - pretty efficient way of spending money.

Then you just have to pray the economic pain isn't as bad as it could be and it's a warm winter.

• Cities tend to be a couple of degrees warmer than a joint in the countryside. Also, the higher you live the colder it gets generally.

Don't I know it. I live over 400 metres above sea level.
    While that may not be Alpine, by UK standards it's positively Himalayan.
  • rick_chasey

Cities tend to be a couple of degrees warmer than a joint in the countryside. Also, the higher you live the colder it gets generally.

Sure but if us soft southerners are using less gas, your gas will be cheaper, right?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited September 2022

Depends where "we" live.
    That’s what I took your point to be, but I don’t think a collective “we” is applicable given that UK weather conditions are so diverse.

I get your point about not running out of gas.
    Fingers crossed for a generally mild winter.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058
    edited September 2022

Cities tend to be a couple of degrees warmer than a joint in the countryside. Also, the higher you live the colder it gets generally.

Ouch, yes. Nice views and clear air though I bet:)

Depends where "we" live.
    That’s what I took your point to be, but I don’t think a collective “we” is applicable given that UK weather conditions are so diverse.
    Average bills if you live in Shetland are sitting at around £10k (according to some questionable media sources).
  • rick_chasey
    FWIW the high forecast today is 26 degrees here.

Sure but if us soft southerners are using less gas, your gas will be cheaper, right?
    We may be a cross purposes here.
    I too am a “soft southerner”, as you put it.
    You are posting about potential global shortages, while I am still back with individual shortages of money to pay their energy bills.

Basically what First.Aspect has just pointed out.

Ouch, yes. Nice views and clear air though I bet:)

Right on both counts.
  • I know I will get shot down but bear with me. In one of the many "how to cut your bills" features was the suggestion that defrosting things in your fridge can save up to £9 a year.

It struck me that people are being too narrow minded in their cost cutting endeavours and that there is much lower fruit to be picked.

If each household cut one artisan crushed avocado macchiato a week they would save £200 which far outweighs most energy saving tips.

This is not aimed at the genuine poor but the people of this parish discussing new clothing and tweaking the thermostat
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2022
    Well yes, that's why it's going to be pretty grim economically.

TBF I cut out all coffee out since I became the sole earner and this year I now take a packed lunch whenever I am in the office.

The biggest saving for me would be going from 2 days a week in the office from 3. £44 each week.
  • I know I will get shot down but bear with me. In one of the many "how to cut your bills" features was the suggestion that defrosting things in your fridge can save up to £9 a year.

It struck me that people are being too narrow minded in their cost cutting endeavours and that there is much lower fruit to be picked.

If each household cut one artisan crushed avocado macchiato a week they would save £200 which far outweighs most energy saving tips.

This is not aimed at the genuine poor but the people of this parish discussing new clothing and tweaking the thermostat

Or a pint of real ale, for balance.
  • I cut down on wine. Reckon that's about £150 a month saved.
  • I cut down on wine. Reckon that's about £150 a month saved.

in lockdown I made a point of drinking better wine and ended up drinking a lot less of it.

Selling stuff that otherwise is going to the tip or charity shop is another easy £200 a year.
  • This is bad though, if people stop spending then it's just going to impact businesses/economy more.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,158
    10 minutes ago - Further increases.

"Gas prices soar 26% after Russia keeps key pipeline closed."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62789675
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • This is bad though, if people stop spending then it's just going to impact businesses/economy more.

It's inevitable and therefore a frightening prospect.
    We already have sky rocketing inflation, which has seen interest rates start to climb, meaning borrowing isn't going to be an option.
    Consumers left with one option, to dramatically cut back on spending, which results in a massive recession.

It's inevitable and therefore a frightening prospect.
    We already have sky rocketing inflation, which has seen interest rates start to climb, meaning borrowing isn't going to be an option.
    Consumers left with one option, to dramatically cut back on spending, which results in a massive recession.
    Yep, it's a damn tricky situation with no real short term solution in sight.

What it is to be sat on an abundance of natural resources.
  • An underground bunker is looking more attractive by the day. Protection from a zombie apocalypse, extreme glowyness and good insulation if there is minimal sun/cold temperatures.

The way things are going I wouldn't rule out the zombie apocalypse scenario.

You just need to be "long" in heavy metals. Gold for value - and lead for ammunition!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392

I'm trying to remember my physics and determine if the altitude means you'll get more gas out of the same volume than those down at sea level due to pressure and temperature difference and will therefore be better off :wink:
  • TBF I cut out all coffee out since I became the sole earner and this year I now take a packed lunch whenever I am in the office.

Off-topic, but even as long ago as the late 90s / early 00s, the "Starbucks Pension" was a concept. It described the situation whereby the younger members of the workforce were forgoing a decent personal pension fund when they eventually retired by diverting circa £80-£100 a month to Starbucks etc. for overpriced coffees.

AFAIK, Starbucks etc. have continued to prosper, with criticising people who spend their money there and then claim to be skint falling out of fashion.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,560

I know I will get shot down but bear with me. In one of the many "how to cut your bills" features was the suggestion that defrosting things in your fridge can save up to £9 a year.

Apparently 7 out of 10 pubs predicted to shut due to the costs of energy. So it should be easy to avoid buying that pint.
  • Jezyboy said:

I know I will get shot down but bear with me. In one of the many "how to cut your bills" features was the suggestion that defrosting things in your fridge can save up to £9 a year.

Apparently 7 out of 10 pubs predicted to shut due to the costs of energy. So it should be easy to avoid buying that pint.
    People should wear a jumper when they go to the pub.
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2022

TBF I cut out all coffee out since I became the sole earner and this year I now take a packed lunch whenever I am in the office.

Off-topic, but even as long ago as the late 90s / early 00s, the "Starbucks Pension" was a concept. It described the situation whereby the younger members of the workforce were forgoing a decent personal pension fund when they eventually retired by diverting circa £80-£100 a month to Starbucks etc. for overpriced coffees.

AFAIK, Starbucks etc. have continued to prosper, with criticising people who spend their money there and then claim to be skint falling out of fashion.

The amount younger people spend on coffee is about the same as they save on booze.

I guess the argument could be that by choosing a healthier option they need to save more as they'll live longer.

it's all irrelevant in the grand scheme however.

If you think £500 a year is making the difference, you're not really looking at the bigger picture