S*** Small Races Thread - 2022

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    @bobmcstuff Congrats. Well done! That is a training camp in itself. 😂
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ddraver said:

Time and distance. If you're gonna brag, do it properly!

1,540km, 109 hours and 9 minutes...

There were around 1700 starters, and at least 500 dropout/DNF last I heard. My time will be inside the fastest 100 if not close to 50 (although of course it is not a race). I think I'll be towards the fast end of the "normal" people I.e., using a 4-stop sleep strategy not the super serious fast people who would do 3 or less.
    Chapeau!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    So then bob mc thingie, will we see you up stakes and take on TCR? 😉

Well done. That's an impressive ride.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    s'ok i guess... ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Sprint finish?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    15 points in one ride. That’s very impressive.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    orraloon said:

I could... I'd like to do PBP I think... also not a race. And easier than LEL.

It was a fantastic ride, brilliant route, amazing friendly volunteers. Very hard and very emotional at points.

*I did have my Garmin stolen by another rider at Moffat though which did put rather a downer on things.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

ddraver said:

There were around 1700 starters, and at least 500 dropout/DNF last I heard. My time will be inside the fastest 100 if not close to 50 (although of course it is not a race). I think I'll be towards the fast end of the "normal" people I.e., using a 4-stop sleep strategy not the super serious fast people who would do 3 or less.
    Does the time include time spent sleeping?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    webboo said:

Nah, ride ends if you go to sleep.
  • Dorset_Boy

orraloon said:

I could... I'd like to do PBP I think... also not a race. And easier than LEL.

It was a fantastic ride, brilliant route, amazing friendly volunteers. Very hard and very emotional at points.

*I did have my Garmin stolen by another rider at Moffat though which did put rather a downer on things.
    Thieving Scots! B)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited August 2022
    The European road race is underway. Bavaria looking lovely. Not the most difficult of courses, so consequently it's well attended by the sprinting hierarchy.
    Somewhat unusual commentary pairing of Matt Stephens an Pippa York, on GCN/Eurosport.
    Meanwhile, on the BBC, it’s Rob Hatch.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    edited August 2022

ddraver said:

Does the time include time spent sleeping?
    Yes. You have a 128 hour 40 minutes time limit to complete the ride (was meant to be 125 hours but they had to extend the route quite a lot. When it last ran in 2017 it was "only" 1,440km)
  • bobmcstuff

webboo said:

I don't agree... but in that case I think my longest stage was 375km finishing at 6:50am Monday. I then had 3 hours kip and rode another 300km, etc.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973

The European road race is underway. Bavaria looking lovely. Not the most difficult of courses, so consequently it's well attended by the sprinting hierarchy.
    Somewhat unusual commentary pairing of Matt Stephens an Pippa York, on GCN/Eurosport.

Have a I missed something previously posted but.... why is there no British team.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited August 2022
    dabber said:

Have a I missed something previously posted but.... why is there no British team.

Other priorities I think - namely the Commie Games this year. Their funding doesn't rely on it so they don't really bother much. Road racing has long been a low priority for BC, it's an inefficient use of funding money.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    RichN95. said:

dabber said:

Other priorities I think - namely the Commie Games this year. Their funding doesn't rely on it so they don't really bother much. Road racing has long been a low priority for BC, it's an inefficient use of funding money.
    Ah, OK... thanks. It seemed a bit strange to me.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Turned it on for the last 500m.
    Jakobsen wins from Merlier and Demare.

Was very thrown by the white Dutch kit as I had no sound
  • Dorset_Boy

webboo said:

I don't agree... but in that case I think my longest stage was 375km finishing at 6:50am Monday. I then had 3 hours kip and rode another 300km, etc.
    i'm not doing down an awesome achievement, but if a ride doesn't stop end you sleep, then the Tour de France is a 3,000+km ride, or my 440 kms this week is one ride. Petently neither is true.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

i'm not doing down an awesome achievement, but if a ride doesn't stop end you sleep, then the Tour de France is a 3,000+km ride, or my 440 kms this week is one ride. Petently neither is true.
    What if you nod off while still riding.
  • bobmcstuff

webboo said:

Well I'd never log my Badger Divide (330km) as one ride since I had 6-8hr sleeps in between each stage... the Tour has two rest days.

To compare to the Tour de France since you brought it up. That's usually around 3-3500k so LEL is around 45-50% this distance. But LEL happens over just over 5.3 days, the Tour happens over 23.

So 45% the TDF distance in 25% the time.

In any case the rules for Metric Century Challenge specifically state multi day brevet be logged as the total distance on the starting day.
  • bobmcstuff
    webboo said:

webboo said:

What if you nod off while still riding.
    I avoided that this time! On my 600 I had to stop around 8am since I was falling asleep on the bike. I find I prefer to push through till 4 or 6am and then sleep.
  • bobmcstuff
    edited August 2022

webboo said:

Well I'd never log my Badger Divide (330km) as one ride since I had 6-8hr sleeps in between each stage... the Tour has two rest days.

To compare to the Tour de France since you brought it up. That's usually around 3-3500k so LEL is around 45-50% this distance. But LEL happens over just over 5.3 days, the Tour happens over 23.

So 45% the TDF distance in 25% the time.

In any case the rules for Metric Century Challenge specifically state multi day brevet be logged as the total distance on the starting day.
    Also some people (lunatics in my view) ride it with 30-60 minute sleeps at each control. Does that still count?

The fastest time (Matt Parks) did 67 hours, I'm not sure if or where he slept, but if he did it would have been very short if at all.

My own personal rule is that if I've checked into a hotel, changed into street clothes, had a proper dinner, had a proper sleep etc, then obviously it is separate rides. If I've had a 3 hour nap on a sports hall floor wearing my cycling gear then I don't have any compunction about logging it as one ride.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581

Viviani 7th in the road race today, then does the elimination race on the track tonight - gets the gold medal!

I am a massive Viviani fan because he does similar so often.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Bernal races Tour of Denmark 😊
    Didn't see that coming
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    The track racing, particularly the sprint events, at the Europeans must fall into this category. 200m track with virtually no straight making it extremely difficult to win from the number 2 position although Hinze somehow managed it.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Just watched the Blokes sprint final from last night. Winced every time Carlin moved. He was in a mess. Nearly took the gold but not to be.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

Bernal races Tour of Denmark 😊
    Didn't see that coming

even Bertie didn’t manage resurrection (bottom caption):

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.