focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    edited August 2022
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    If it's in the rules then no, buuuuut, ban stupid TT bikes as well because they're just a waste of carbon. Make it a level playing field of only road bikes.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    ddraver said:
    She looks like she forgot.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    It's clearly breaking the rules, a bit of a silly mistake. It probably made no difference but if the rules are there they have to be applied properly, much like the baton change in the 4x400m relay yesterday.
  • ddraver
    I feel like a 3 second error, that made no difference to the race is one thing. However letting the race play out, letting her win the sprint (which was always pretty likely), then letting her get to the podium and THEN telling her was especially poor.

Clearly, ACR thought similar.
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

I feel like a 3 second error, that made no difference to the race is one thing. However letting the race play out, letting her win the sprint (which was always pretty likely), then letting her get to the podium and THEN telling her was especially poor.

Still sounding very similar to that 4x400m relay!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross said:

It's clearly breaking the rules, a bit of a silly mistake. It probably made no difference but if the rules are there they have to be applied properly, much like the baton change in the 4x400m relay yesterday.

The question to be asked then is whether the rules are fit for purpose.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Pross said:

ddraver said:

Still sounding very similar to that 4x400m relay!
    That race was won by 0.01 seconds. I think it is possible to say that 0.01 seconds benefit could have been gained. That isn't a lot.
  • RichN95.

That race was won by 0.01 seconds. I think it is possible to say that 0.01 seconds benefit could have been gained. That isn't a lot.

The photo finish made it look like a dead heat
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited August 2022
    Pross said:

I was thinking upon the same analogy, right down to the arbitrary way that both the UCI and IAAF apply such rules.

Yesterday, England were DQF's for infringing the rule on steeping into the wrong lane.
    Meanwhile, during qualifying for the men's 4x400m, Zambia's new golden boy crossed 4 lanes and in front of opponents, to collect the baton from his mate. (another DQF offence and a much, much clearer infringement)
    This time, the result stood.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

The photo finish made it look like a dead heat
    The photo was a bit dodgy, not quite sure how they determined the torso was level with the front of the shoulder. I think she would have been marginally in front but the photo certainly didn't confirm that to be the case.
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

The question to be asked then is whether the rules are fit for purpose.
    Sure, but at the moment that's what the rules state. Vos is an experienced rider and should know better. I may be prejudiced though as I've always hated the puppy paw thing (and the 'super tuck').
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Rules are rules and need to be implemented; however a DSQ seems an OTT punishment for 3 second 'offence'. Give her a 5 sec penalty or place her behind the riders in the sprint.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • RichN95.
    andyrac said:

Rules are rules and need to be implemented; however a DSQ seems an OTT punishment for 3 second 'offence'. Give her a 5 sec penalty or place her behind the riders in the sprint.

I think they should be ordered back to the Commissaire's car, ride level with it for a few seconds so they can verify their identity and then let them go - like time penalties in F1 or triathlon. If they don't spot it until after the race has finished, then they got away with it.
  • Just 3 stages now, but today sees the start of the always gnarly, Tour de l'Ain.

Stage1.

Stage 2.

Stage 3.

Surprisingly, Tibault Pinot is not on the startlist, which looks a little thin compared to previous editions.
    Having said that, Julian Alaphilippe is riding as part of a strong QS team.
    Other notables: Guilaume Martin, George Bennett, Harm Vanhoucke, Tim Wellens, Stefan Bissigger Gianluca Brambilla, Rudy Molard and Ivan Sosa.
  • A couple of young vintage Vinos riding for the Astana development team.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Commentary is not the best.
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2022
    Jake Stewart wins the sprint after a late hint of excitement when Remi Cavagna goes with 1km to go and gets caught 50m from the line.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Artic race of Norway and wishing to have CK back rather than Jez Cox (no clue if I've spelt his name right)
  • kingstongraham
    Tour de lAin - Pedrero in the break for 110km, solo for 70km and takes the win by well over a minute.

Guillaume Martin hangs on to the GC.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    JimD666 said:

Artic race of Norway and wishing to have CK back rather than Jez Cox (no clue if I've spelt his name right)

The commentary on the Tour de lAin wasn’t that stunning either.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    Tour de l'Ain - certainly more interesting than Burgos.

However, Eurosport's advertising has inverted the picture or... there's some new lefty wheels and gruppo's on the market we didn't know about.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    That combo was around during the tour.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    webboo said:

That combo was around during the tour.

Yes, 'cos the TdF route was clockwise so less drag with everything on the left.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • kingstongraham
    Just read that the Arctic Race of Norway is staying completely south of the Arctic circle this year. Well done guys!

Today's stage looks a bit lumpy for a flat stage, and should be pretty decent scenery.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Kirby without a co-commentator is utterly unbearable.

Just read that the Arctic Race of Norway is staying completely south of the Arctic circle this year. Well done guys!

Today's stage looks a bit lumpy for a flat stage, and should be pretty decent scenery.

Global warming innit. They've had to move the circle North...
  • kingstongraham
    Groenewegen wins a sprint finish.

No leadout from BikeExchange that I could see, he hit the front with about 150m to go and held on very strong.
  • ddraver
    Time and distance. If you're gonna brag, do it properly!
    - @ddraver