S*** Small Races Thread - 2022

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Lone leader doing well to stay away.
  • Geraint Thomas back in his old domestic role.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Great finish but Sheffield’s lack of experience cost him the race after great work by Thomas and Fraile. Laporte takes the stage and GC with Sheffield second on both.
  • Pross
    Rush of blood after he closed the gap, that was the time to sit on Laporte.
  • Jumbo have successfully turned Christophe Laporte into Julian Alaphilippe.

Unfortunately the race did boil down to the dreaded bonus seconds.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    These Jumbo superstars don't just go from also ran to world class overnight, they don't tire after dominating the world's biggest race for 3 weeks.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    Was talking with someone who rode at international level 30 yrs ago and he voiced a similar opinion. He said their recovery was superior to anyone else. LaPorte was a good rider but now he is at a higher level.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Marco Haller mugs Wout in Hamburg classic. Part of 5 man break, his team mate led out the sprint Marco was behind Wout and Herman’s jumped early and got a bit of gap the others couldn’t close.
  • Arnaud De Lie won Schaal Sels Merksem, as he continues his one man attempt at keeping Lotto up by cleaning up .1 races.

Also;
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    MvdP returns on Wednesday at the VLAAMSE DRUIVENKOERS, which Google helpfully translates for me as FLEMISH GRAPE RATE
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Ned Boulting has found his way to GCN/Eurosport and is commentating on the Deutschland Tour, where Ineos's new boy, Kim Heiduk is the current leader in the prologue.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited August 2022
    Adam Yates now leads his new team mate and in a short, prologue TT no less.
    Olav Kooij has just had a nasty crash pushing too hard around a bend. He was fastest at the split, but had to limp home.
  • Excellent work from GCN/Eurosport this afternoon we had a choice of Mr Motormouth with the Vuelta or no mouth at all with the Deutschland Tour.
    80kms of complete mute. Not even the sound of a motorbike.

They should be paying us to watch, not the other way around.
  • webboo
    Sometimes when it’s live theirs no commentary but when you watch later on catch up there is. Or when watching on the iPad no sound but on the tv there is.
    I blame wiggle.
  • Pross

Excellent work from GCN/Eurosport this afternoon we had a choice of Mr Motormouth with the Vuelta or no mouth at all with the Deutschland Tour.

Ewan showed his discontent with Cycling Australia by avoiding crashing or finding a second tier sprinter to beat him.
  • webboo
    We have the delights of Ned Boulting on his Jack jones at todays Tour of Germany.
  • webboo
    Pross said:

Excellent work from GCN/Eurosport this afternoon we had a choice of Mr Motormouth with the Vuelta or no mouth at all with the Deutschland Tour.

Ewan showed his discontent with Cycling Australia by avoiding crashing or finding a second tier sprinter to beat him.
    He’s managed to prove the selectors right today by getting blown out of the echelons that are all over the road at the moment. Lead group with 4 Ineos and about 20 others, second group being driven by Bora and Bahrain.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    Whilst it's not really a pro race, it is an excellent indicator of future success, so it was interesting to see that Ineos' new signing, Josh Tarling, took the opening stage of the Junior Tour of Wales this evening.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    A strong provisional startlist for tomorrow's Bretagne Classic - Ouest-France includes Pogacar, WVA, Sagan, Demare, Girmay, Søren Kragh Andersen, Michael Matthews and most of the cream of the French riders not at the Vuelta.

Coverage on GCN is showing as starting at 4pm my time (11am CET), which is either a mistake or they will be broadcasting virtually the entire race.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited August 2022
    I can confirm that pretty much the whole of the Bretagne Classic - Ouest-France is being shown live here in the UK and elsewhere.

From their website it says the start is at 10-50CET.

Not sure why GCN miss the first 10 minutes...
  • webboo
    webboo said:

Sometimes when it’s live theirs no commentary but when you watch later on catch up there is. Or when watching on the iPad no sound but on the tv there is.
    I blame wiggle.

Just watching GP Plouley which has commentary on the TV but not on my IPad. This through the app on the tv as well.
  • I can confirm that pretty much the whole of the Bretagne Classic - Ouest-France is being shown live here in the UK and elsewhere.

From their website it says the start is at 10-50CET.

Not sure why GCN miss the first 10 minutes...

This is exactly what happened.
    Live began not long after the start, with the now usual silence instead of commentary.

Eventually Jez Cox turned up. ( plus B Smith)

Anyhow the breakaway had already formed, with 6 riders, including Luke Rowe.

• Oh and I almost forgot.
    The Junior Tour of Wales is underway in it’s usual bank holiday slot.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Oh and I almost forgot.
    The Junior Tour of Wales is underway in it’s usual bank holiday slot.

Just looking at the most recent results - of the last ten pre-covid editions, eight of the winners made it to the World Tour. The likely winner has already signed for Ineos I believe
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • webboo
    Anyone know where the Tour of Netherlands has gone on Eurosport. It was there on the schedule but after I’d watched the Vuelta and went back to watch it had disappeared.
  • webboo said:

Anyone know where the Tour of Netherlands has gone on Eurosport. It was there on the schedule but after I’d watched the Vuelta and went back to watch it had disappeared.

It’s disappeared alright.
    My guess is the usual rubbish coverage given to a lot of women’s races caused a terminal technical problem.
  • webboo

webboo said:

It’s disappeared alright.
    My guess is the usual rubbish coverage given to a lot of women’s races caused a terminal technical problem.
    The technical problems continue today. You could watch the stage but it looked it was being filmed on a wind up camera.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Looks like MvdP won some race today.
  • Pross
    Corbin Strong pips Fraile to win Stage 1 of the ToB. Piddock 5th in ST.