S*** Small Races Thread - 2022

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    I don't know how litigious they are in Spain but I would have thought that sort of thing would result in being sued if it happened here.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross said:

I don't know how litigious they are in Spain but I would have thought that sort of thing would result in being sued if it happened here.

Bodily injury payouts in Spain are really small, so probably not worth it
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Just watched on the catch up the Vuelta a Burgos. That was v nasty.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Who's commentating on the Commies TT and why do they hate Fred Wright so much?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    On the BBC? It was Simon Brotherton and Chris Boardman. Didn't get the Fred Wright hate though.
  • Pross
    50x11 said:

Who's commentating on the Commies TT and why do they hate Fred Wright so much?

Boardman and, I think, Simon Brotherton. Not sure what you mean about them hating Wright though, they were very complimentary.

Great ride by Wright, hard to judge where it will be overall as the fast wave are yet to come but looks to have carried across his Tour form. Interested to see where he is going career wise.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Bit nuts that Wright was placed in the choppers wave, but might play to his advantage if the wind increases
  • Yesterday's butchers bills:
    Poland.
    These riders will not appear at the start

CAVENDISH Mark (Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl Team)
    TEUNISSEN Mike (Jumbo-Visma)
    ARCHBOLD Shane (BORA - hansgrohe)
    BRAND Sam (Team Novo Nordisk)

Burgos.
    These riders will not appear at the start

TOUZÉ Damien (AG2R Citroën Team)
    BERTHET Clément (AG2R Citroën Team)
    STEIMLE Jannik (Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl Team)
    DEKKER David (Jumbo-Visma)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Cav's pulled out to head to Brum, not because of injury.
  • Pross

Didn't think you were allowed to start a race if you knew you were going to drop out / weren't allowed to start a race that was happening alongside one you dropped out of.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Cav was flag bearer for the IoM at the opening ceremony, so a pretty large hint that he would be riding on Sunday in Brum.
  • Pross said:

Didn't think you were allowed to start a race if you knew you were going to drop out / weren't allowed to start a race that was happening alongside one you dropped out of.
    Commies Road race is Sunday and Poland finishes tomorrow so gets round that
  • Cav's pulled out to head to Brum, not because of injury.

Not sure if missing a short ITT to gain 24hours off will be of that much benefit.
    This race finishes tomorrow..............with a sprint stage.
  • Pross
    Why do they have this stupid wave system for the CG time trial? Having a massive gap with nothing happening isn't very spectator friendly.
  • Pross
    edited August 2022
    First rider out showing the very essence of skills not being up to ambition as he takes the first corner way too quickly. A bit too much adrenaline I think!

Not really good having a tight first corner into speed cushions though. Maybe they used the Burgos course designer.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Pross said:

First rider out showing the very essence of skills not being up to ambition as he takes the first corner way too quickly. A bit too much adrenaline I think!

Not really good having a tight first corner into speed cushions though. Maybe they used the Burgos course designer.

Or Chris Froome.
  • Pross
    edited August 2022
    And another.

I can't work out if they simply haven't looked at the course, are unused to riding TT bikes or are just getting carried away.
  • Pross
    In the least surprising statement ever Thomas crashes.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Pross said:

So nearly held it too. Probably the end of his title hpes though
  • Pross
    Tashman said:

Pross said:

So nearly held it too. Probably the end of his title hpes though
    Yeah the crash didn't delay him much but took too long getting the bike sorted
  • Pross
    Dennis 30" up but Geraint manages to go joint second with Bigham despite the crash. Would have been very close without that, I don't share Boardman's optimism that he can pull that back.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    G ..... Story of his life . Good watch
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited August 2022
    The Commie ITT on 2 threads?

Ineos and Pavel Sivakov about to take a substantial lead in the Burgos GC.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Sivakov attacked going into the clouds, and probably going to lose the stage but take the GC lead by 20secs or so.
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2022
    20 year old Tronchon gets his first pro win, Sivakov second - he gave everything to stay away so had no sprint. Small peloton 28 seconds behind.
  • Pross
    The commentators kept saying Wright is more of a climber. I'm not sure that's correct, he seems a bit of an all-rounder to me with a top 10 in the Ronde and his top 10 in the final TdF TT should have shown he was likely to do well here.
  • kingstongraham

20 year old Tronchon gets his first pro win, Sivakov second - he gave everything to stay away so had no sprint. Small peloton 28 seconds behind.

Tronchon was the last survivor of the break of the day that went with 112km to go, so staying away for the win is pretty good work.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505

Hopefully he can hold on and take the overall title. It would be nice to see him make the step up to GC contender, if he can.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505

G ..... Story of his life . Good watch

Not a great day at all for the "Ineos" boys. Plapp mechanical, G off then Bigham off.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    The pundit on BBC said Dennis knows how to prioritise these big events (CW ITT), Massive it is! He apparently gave up going to the tour to prepare for it according to her. Is it not more just he's been a problem on any team he's been at and that's more why he wasn't at the tour.