S*** Small Races Thread - 2022

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

He got 264 points this week - better than 200 for winning two Giro stages!

The system is ridiculous
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Live coverage of Tour of Alsace seemingly available via their website, for any that are interested.

https://live.touralsace.fr/30-juillet-etape-4-kembs-altkirch

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited July 2022
    Here can be found complete coverage of each of the other stages, including yesterday's ascent of Belle Filles.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GroupeLarger

Plus here can be found full coverage of Simon Yates's win in Castilla y Leon.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    If anyone doesn't mind French commentary, L'Equipe have an accessible live stream of the whole stage of the Tour of Poland.

I have tried it and it works fine on tv, through the internet on my Firestick.

https://cycling.today/2022-tour-de-pologne-live-stream/
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2022
    Another really bad crash in Poland caused by a very badly barrier set up.
    Jumbo win again with Kooij
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Evenepoel wins San Sebastien again. Sivakov second, Benoot third. Mollema came fourth his tenth consecutive top ten in this race
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

What caused that? It looked to happen in the middle of the pack on a massively wide road.
  • blazing_saddles

What caused that? It looked to happen in the middle of the pack on a massively wide road.
    There was a huge bulge in the barriers that caused a severe pinch point in that wide road. It looked like someone had decided it was a good vantage point, without figuring the obvious consequences.
    Riders on the side were forced inwards into the tightly packed group and it quickly became a house of cards.

Stupid and completely avoidable.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited July 2022
    Haven't watched San Sebastien yet, but did anything major happen? According to PCS only 60 of the 156 finished. Just rider apathy?

EDIT: Apathy isn't too fair, call it post Tour syndrome instead
  • blazing_saddles
    Yesterday's crash in Poland. You will find it at 3 minutes 15" .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28_fg3b0Mmc
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    JimD666 said:

Haven't watched San Sebastien yet, but did anything major happen? According to PCS only 60 of the 156 finished. Just rider apathy?

I think it's always had a high drop out - they're doing loops round the town, so it's easy to leave the race and tootle back to the hotel once your involvement is irrelevant.

The race itself was pretty much decided on a single attack after QS had pulled the break back. Only Yates went with Evenepoel, but got dropped pretty quickly after. Once he'd got a minute it looked done, the chasing group didn't have enough to pull him back and nobody was going to solo to him
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822

JimD666 said:

I think it's always had a high drop out - they're doing loops round the town, so it's easy to leave the race and tootle back to the hotel once your involvement is irrelevant.

The race itself was pretty much decided on a single attack after QS had pulled the break back. Only Yates went with Evenepoel, but got dropped pretty quickly after. Once he'd got a minute it looked done, the chasing group didn't have enough to pull him back and nobody was going to solo to him
    I whizzed through the full race coverage on GCN in the evening - Evenepoel going so far out was impressive but with only Yates making any sort of effort to go with him there was little suspense left and the gap never went downwards to the chasers.
    Will be interested to see what he does at the Vuelta now.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    andyrr said:

JimD666 said:

I whizzed through the full race coverage on GCN in the evening - Evenepoel going so far out was impressive but with only Yates making any sort of effort to go with him there was little suspense left and the gap never went downwards to the chasers.
    Will be interested to see what he does at the Vuelta now.
    It was an epic distance, but one of the least exciting races I've ever watched. Was double-screening with the unchanging time gaps in the TdF Femmes for added tedium
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • kingstongraham

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

I only watched it once but it looked like the rider on the front wasn't really looking, so realised too late.
  • Pross
    Were there any sanctions on the organisers after the Jakobsen crash? If Groenewegen was culpable for causing the crash they were complicit in the severity of the injuries and then having something like the above photos is ridiculous. The status of the race should be reviewed.
  • kingstongraham
    I think the rider on the front on that side moved in to avoid the barrier, and riders from behind took that opportunity to try and go around on the left to move up, only to find the road no longer there.
  • blazing_saddles
    Tiz have an international live stream for Poland, with Declan Quigley commentating.
    It's a tough gig, seeing each stage is covered from start to finish and he's flying solo.
    Shiite weather too.

https://tiz-cycling-live.io/live.php
  • Pross
    Horrible crash in the Commonwealth Games scratch race qualifier on the final lap sprint. Cameras cut away so not entirely clear what happened but Bostock from the IoM was stretchered off in a neck brace and the commentators think an English rider ended up in the crowd where there was medical attention (unclear if it was for the rider or a spectator).

Very mixed ability field that had led to two crashes in the previous qualifier but don't think it played a part in this one as any weaker riders would have been dropped by then.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2022
    Pross said:

Horrible crash in the Commonwealth Games scratch race qualifier on the final lap sprint. Cameras cut away so not entirely clear what happened but Bostock from the IoM was stretchered off in a neck brace and the commentators think an English rider ended up in the crowd where there was medical attention (unclear if it was for the rider or a spectator).

Very mixed ability field that had led to two crashes in the previous qualifier but don't think it played a part in this one as any weaker riders would have been dropped by then.

The English rider was Matt Walls
  • Pross
    They've abandoned the session and cleared the velodrome. Doesn't sound good
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    He’s been stretchered out. 40 mins after the crash. That was really bloody nasty.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    According to BBC, England Cycling say he's not too badly hurt - 'could have been a lot worse'
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Thank God. Hopefully the spectators are all ok as well.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Pross said:

They've abandoned the session and cleared the velodrome. Doesn't sound good

Oufff
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    Several spectators injured as well with one taken to hospital.
    I have just received an amazing photo of MW flying into the crowd.
    Several terrified faces look on in horror.
  • blazing_saddles
    Video of the crash has now been posted on twitter. Be warned it's hair raising.

• RichN95.
    He's been discharged from hospital with just some stitches on his forehead. No-one was badly hurt. Remarkable really

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    A good day for Brits on the FDJ development team. Sam Watson took the final stage of Alsace. Finlay Pickering finished in the bunch to win the GC.
  • Alpecin-Deceuninck withdraw from Poland with 5 Covid cases among their staff, but all the riders then tested negative.