S*** Small Races Thread - 2022

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    edited June 2022
    No different to teams blocking the front of the peloton to stop people getting in a break.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    edited June 2022

No different to teams blocking the front of the peloton to stop people getting in a break.

I'm not a fan of that tactic either but still think this is different in that they actively prevented a rival being able to take the time bonuses that would have cost their team mate the race (and did it in a dangerous manner). It wasn't just blocking, Lampaert barged Wellens across the road and almost onto the cycle lane.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

Agree with Pross really. Plus stopping people getting into the break by chasing them down and sitting on their wheel is one thing (valid tactic), physically obstructing them is another and shouldn't really be tolerated.

A physical obstruction like that would result in harsh penalties if it happened at the end of a stage in the sprint, don't see why this would be different.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

I'm not a fan of that tactic either but still think this is different in that they actively prevented a rival being able to take the time bonuses that would have cost their team mate the race (and did it in a dangerous manner). It wasn't just blocking, Lampaert barged Wellens across the road and almost onto the cycle lane.
    Lampaert just likes riding off the side of the road - everyone knows that. Just bad luck if someone's in the way.
  • kingstongraham
    But yes, barging is too much and dangerous, blocking is obnoxious but just one of those things.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Would it have been possible to DQ Lampaert from the entire race and therefore take his TT stage win away?
  • Pross
    I assume it's nationals this week and no other racing to be had?
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

I assume it's nationals this week and no other racing to be had?

:'(
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited June 2022
    There is the Acht van Bladel (listed on PCS), though it's a junior race so I don't know if it really counts.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Last and Queen stage of Womens tour of Switzerland on now on Eurosport.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    webboo said:

Last and Queen stage of Womens tour of Switzerland on now on Eurosport.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited June 2022
    Pross said:

I assume it's nationals this week and no other racing tobe had?

I hate the way that the Tour effectively takes up 5 weeks of the season.
    Heck, it’s the reason I am taking this fortnight away.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?_p=editie&_ap=klassement&editie_idd=MzEyMTY=

New Talent Alert: Ethan Hayter’s even more talented little bruv (possibly?) smashing it @ Baby Giro… check out Stage 3 (won by 5 minutes)!
  • Pross

http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?_p=editie&_ap=klassement&editie_idd=MzEyMTY=

New Talent Alert: Ethan Hayter’s even more talented little bruv (possibly?) smashing it @ Baby Giro… check out Stage 3 (won by 5 minutes)!

If only it had been mentioned at the time :wink:
  • ocdupalais
    Arg… I’ve become one of those tossers who can’t be arsed to look a page or two previous.
  • ocdupalais
    edited June 2022
    If only that was limit of t0sser I’ve become.
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,187
    ALAPHILIPPE back to winning ways on the Mur de Huy in the Tour of Wallonie
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    JA doesn't start today as he's been hit by Covid....
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Is the Tour of Wallonia on normal Eurosport as on the Eurosport payer there is stage four on today but I can’t see the first three stages anywhere on it.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2022
    webboo said:

Is the Tour of Wallonia on normal Eurosport as on the Eurosport payer there is stage four on today but I can’t see the first three stages anywhere on it.

The host only has live coverage of the last two stages, which seems odd, given that stage one finish up the Mur de Huy.
    Today's stage is live on the player (but it's a late start and finish: 15-35 to 17-45) and probably also live on Eurosport 1, but after the women's Tour from 16-00.

Another race that isn't being shown on Eurosport again this year, is The Tour of Poland, which starts on Saturday.
    I don't know about GCN, but it probably means it will have to be TVP's live stream.
  • blazing_saddles

JA doesn't start today as he's been hit by Covid....

Now Biniam Girmay has crashed out of the race, so Wallonie has lost both it's race favourites.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The Wallonnie stage was won by Jan Bakelandts who I assumed had retired a few years ago
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    RichN95. said:

The Wallonnie stage was won by Jan Bakelandts who I assumed had retired a few years ago

His first win since 2016 apparently.
  • andyp
    FDJ development squad's Brit, Finlay Pickering takes the Tour of Alsace stage win on Les Planches des Belles Filles and takes the leader's jersey too.

That team has had one hell of a season.
  • kingstongraham
    Simon Yates won two races this week.
  • Simon Yates won two races this week.

BEX are ahead of Movistar now in the relegation battle
  • kingstongraham
    He got 264 points this week - better than 200 for winning two Giro stages!
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    andyp said:

FDJ development squad's Brit, Finlay Pickering takes the Tour of Alsace stage win on Les Planches des Belles Filles and takes the leader's jersey too.

That team has had one hell of a season.

Definitely a team to keep an eye on over the coming years, assuming they can keep all of the kids they have right now. They have an awesome bunch of young riders coming through. Martinez, Thompson and Romain Grégoire should all be big names. Must confess though, I'd never even heard of Pickering until today. Another one to add to a growing contingent of very talented Brits in the FDJ setup that already includes Stewart, Askey and Sam Watson.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    edited July 2022
    He's from East Yorkshire. Was visible in the main break at the nationals a few weeks ago.

That's most of my knowledge of him.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago