S*** Small Races Thread - 2022

Comments

• It's a shame for Oldani, but, he'll be back.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Must be nice for the peloton to be back to a race where it's "let one each of Burgos, Euskaltel and Eolo riders have ten minutes before starting to work".
  • kingstongraham

Must be nice for the peloton to be back to a race where it's "let one each of Burgos, Euskaltel and Eolo riders have ten minutes before starting to work".

And then they roll around for a while in hot weather before Valverde wins. Probably.
  • kingstongraham
    Buitrago rides away from everyone on the finishing climb in Vuelta a Burgos and wins easily.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Buitrago rides away from everyone on the finishing climb in Vuelta a Burgos and wins easily.

Tao third, think that's his first podium since the Dauphiné last year. Hope he's finding his mojo again
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2022

Tao third, think that's his first podium since the Dauphiné last year. Hope he's finding his mojo again
    Hope so - two second places and now a third place in stages of any sort since winning the Giro isn't what he was probably looking to kick onto...

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he is working for Sivakov here.
  • Haven’t seen it but it seems as if there was at least one crash again in Poland.
    Race leader Sergio Higuita last man home on 0”, so I am guessing he must have been down.
    Don’t know what happened to Ethan Hayter but he rolled home 2’-15” behind.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293

Haven’t seen it but it seems as if there was at least one crash again in Poland.
    Race leader Sergio Higuita last man home on 0”, so I am guessing he must have been down.

Which seems odd as PCS is reporting he was in the same crash as Higuita
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    JimD666 said:

Haven’t seen it but it seems as if there was at least one crash again in Poland.

PCS have him at 0" for the stage and still top 10gc
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • JimD666 said:

PCS have him at 0" for the stage and still top 10gc
    Yes, it's now been updated.

He was one of the ten in the same crash as Higuita.
    Just checked the race ticker.
  • JimD666
    Just been having a quick look at upcoming races on PCS, the Commonwealth Games ITT is tomorrow and has a class of "JR". Can anyone enlighten me on what the "JR" class is?
  • JimD666 said:

Just been having a quick look at upcoming races on PCS, the Commonwealth Games ITT is tomorrow and has a class of "JR". Can anyone enlighten me on what the "JR" class is?

Jeux Regional. Kind of like Jeux sans frontieres without the Belgians (& others).
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • JimD666

JimD666 said:

Jeux Regional. Kind of like Jeux sans frontieres without the Belgians (& others).
    Ta
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    Cavendish doesn't seem to have won recently. Is he finished?
  • Cavendish doesn't seem to have won recently. Is he finished?

QS staff had a covid party in Poland to stop Cav winning a stage. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstongraham

Same three riders today.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited August 2022
    Jumbo take a clean sweep of the Burgos podium having caused an absolutely horrendous crash.
    Man three, Dekker went down on a speed bump. Ballarini went ploughing into him and riders went down like skittles.

Looks like there are a number of serious injuries.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    Really nasty crash in the final kilometre of the Vuelta a Burgos, where a Lotto-Visma rider, who was in third wheel, lost control when he hit a speed bump and took down the front of the peloton.

I hope the injuries aren't as bad as they look.
  • kingstongraham
    Bug crash inside the final km at Burgos.

Third man in jumbo visma lead out train goes down on a speed bump, takes out literally everyone except the two jv riders in front and the one immediately behind.

123 for jv, and the winner raises his arms in glory.....
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    Win at all costs?
  • kingstongraham
    Bikes and railings everywhere
  • Seeing on twitter there was another big crash in Poland too. Rough day
  • Seeing on twitter there was another big crash in Poland too. Rough day

Looking at those coming home down the field with 0" and it was clearly another sprint train collision. Cav, Kooilj, Meeus, Bennett, Akermann, Teunissen etc.
    Burgos have still only confirmed the top 10, despite the race being over more than one hour ago.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    edited August 2022
    I thought I read on here QS got pulled before today's Poland stage because five staff tested positive?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited August 2022

I thought I read on here QS got pulled before today's Poland stage because five staff tested positive?

It was Alpecin
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • JimD666

You're not the only one. Remembered reading Deceuninck and assumed QS. Keep forgetting they changed sponsor.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Why would you have a run in that includes a speed bump in the last 1km of what was presumably a sprint stage? Don't they have to risk assess these races?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited August 2022
    Pross said:

Why would you have a run in that includes a speed bump in the last 1km of what was presumably a sprint stage? Don't they have to risk assess these races?

What can you do? The race owner's daughter (and company Vice president) is on the UCI management committee and the Professional Cycling Council. She also served Lappartient at the European Cycling Union.

Edit: Wrong race - this is about the Tour of Poland
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    Now I've seen it again, they put two guys with little flags to warn the riders there was a speed bump on a downhill section 500m before the finish of a sprint stage, so all necessary precautions taken. 👍

If you want to see, here's the footage.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Now I've seen it again, they put two guys with little flags to warn the riders there was a speed bump on a downhill section 500m before the finish of a sprint stage, so all necessary precautions taken. 👍

If you want to see, here's the footage.

According to Brian Smith on Eurosport who read out the regulations for UCI race finish’s there should be no speed bumps in the last Kilometre.