S*** Small Races Thread - 2022

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    2 horse race
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    Never seen a stage win decided by rock, paper, scissors before.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    andyp said:

Presumably TdS? Did I miss something?
  • mididoctors
    DeadCalm said:

andyp said:

Slovenia
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeadCalm
    Leo Hayter wins the Baby Giro. France's answer to Remco Evenepoel takes the final stage.
  • mididoctors
    DeadCalm said:

andyp said:

Slovenia
    DeadCalm said:

Leo Hayter wins the Baby Giro. France's answer to Remco Evenepoel takes the final stage.

Didn't realise he was still that young
  • DeadCalm said:

andyp said:

Slovenia, Majka and Pog clear together at the finish. Majka won with paper to Pog's rock, and thus the stage was his
  • DeadCalm

Slovenia

Wow. They really did. I thought you were kidding.

Didn't realise he was still that young

Leo Hayter? He's 20. Three years younger than Ethan.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

DeadCalm said:

andyp said:

Slovenia, Majka and Pog clear together at the finish. Majka won with paper to Pog's rock, and thus the stage was his
    Majka had put a lot of work and was probably near the limit as they approached the finish. Doubt he was in the mood for Rock Paper Scissors.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146
    Looks a tad breezy at Occitanie in addition to the high temperatures. Not sure of the state of play, split into loads of small groups
  • Pross
    Very messy. Valverde in second group with Herrada and a few others. Catching lead group that I think is being led by Quintana
  • Pross
    Lead group is now about 24 with most of the top 10. Ben Swift is there amongst some very good climbers
  • Pross
    Lead group has grown a bit further. Strange mix of climbers / GC riders plus a few quicker riders. Viviani in there too. FDJ have missed the move alogether and having to do the chasing but gap staying at a fairly steady 1:15. Ineos have 5 riders in the front group, quite a few Totale Energies in there too.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Pog takes the final stage in Slovenia in a sprint vs Mohorič. Majka in 3rd
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    Pogacar gets greedy in Slovenia. Breaks away over the final climb with Mohoric, Majka joins them on the descent, then outsprints his countryman to take the stage, plus the overall.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Decent sprint from Pog to win.
  • Pross
    Messy, horrible run in to the finish at Tour of Belgium. Only saw the final 4.5km and have no idea how they stayed upright. Bora gave Bennett as good a lead out as he could hope for in that run in but he didn't have the speed once hitting the front and gets beaten by Jacobsen and Philpsen. Lost third as well with Thisjen coming through.

Apparently Lampaert deliberately obstructed Wellens in the golden km which meant Schmidt holds on to GC. Just watched it and it was blatant. There needs to be some way of sanctioning that sort of thing.
  • Pross
    edited June 2022
    Did Jakobsen have to have a tracheostomy when he had that crash? Scar on his throat suggest he has had one at some point

Edit - Jose Been confirms
  • Pross
    I'd be embarrassed doing the winner's interview if I was Schmidt.
  • kingstongraham
    Occitanie was a good race today.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,753
    Pross said:

I’ve just caught up with the race and agree 100% with this.

One of the most pathetic things I’ve seen in a bike race ever.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Not as bad as Vos's old team when they did it once. Can't remember the team
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • JimD666
    Pross said:

Do we have a quick overview of what he said? Been catching up with so much cycling and swimming today that all the Pre/post race stuff has been skipped just to try and fit it all in.
  • Pross
    JimD666 said:

Pross said:

Do we have a quick overview of what he said? Been catching up with so much cycling and swimming today that all the Pre/post race stuff has been skipped just to try and fit it all in.
    Team did a great job for him, he didn't see anything that happened. Nothing so much he said but he would have known Lampaert's move effectively sealed the GC for him
  • Pross

Had to go out with around 10km to go so missed the end. Who won in the end?
  • JimD666
    Thank you.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

Had to go out with around 10km to go so missed the end. Who won in the end?
    Bonifazio - pretty regulation small group (of 20) sprint, with Viviani back in 4th.

Good work by Total Energies and Ineos (well, Swift) to keep the race split apart.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Pross said:

JimD666 said:

Pross said:

Team did a great job for him, he didn't see anything that happened. Nothing so much he said but he would have known Lampaert's move effectively sealed the GC for him

Getting a pretty negative response on Twitter...
  • Pross
    I don't think it would be difficult to sanction the rider on a team who benefits from a team mate doing that sort of thing (and also in other situations where a team mate takes a hit for their leader such as an illegal feed from the car that gets passed to the leader).
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,753
    I think the problem is that the rule book doesn’t really allow for punishment to be given to Schmid who, despite being the beneficiary, wasn’t involved in the pushing or boxing in of Wellens. So the commissaires are hamstrung in being able to implement a sanction.

Quickstep have already Tweeted their joy at what they described as a “top job from the Wolfpack” so they seem perfectly happy with what happened. Fair to say, the rest of Twitter disagrees.