The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,584
    webboo said:

Some of us have done a few risky/ dangerous things in our time but we don’t go round spouting sh*t like that.

Such as?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Rock climbed for 47 years plus a bit of winter climbing.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.

You ok?
  • The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.

You ok?
    All OK here :smile:

I saw that quote and it summed up most of the bedwetters on this thread. It has triggered one with its honesty already :smiley::smiley:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Can I just point out that there is no correlation between a risky lifestyle and the ability to spout absolute bollox.
    There are many desk jockeys on here who manage it as well as the daredevils.
  • webboo

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.

You ok?

I saw that quote and it summed up most of the bedwetters on this thread. It has triggered one with its honesty already :smiley::smiley:
    Hail to the great interweb warrior. Yes I did p*ss my pants when I read that.
  • kingstongraham

You ok?

Glad to hear it.
  • The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.

You ok?

Glad to hear it.
    How are you post C19?

Much improvement?
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

Rock climbed for 47 years plus a bit of winter climbing.

What grades of climb?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    edited July 2020
    I’ve soloed up to E5 will that do for you.
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

I’ve soloed up to E5 will that do for you.

Just interested. If you feel it's risky that's not for anyone else to judge.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    I do think the world of Mon-Fri in the office is going to be *a lot* smaller.

I‘ve spoken to maybe 300 people since lockdown started, mainly in the U.K. but also across Western Europe and not a single person I can remember intends to go back Mon-Fri in the office once there is no corona.

stats I’ve seen put professional services with something like only 10% looking to return to Mon-Fri in the office with well over 2/3s looking to do 2 days *or less* in the office.

I do think it’s a massive shift.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,605

I‘ve spoken to maybe 300 people since lockdown started, mainly in the U.K. but also across Western Europe and not a single person I can remember intends to go back Mon-Fri in the office once there is no corona.

stats I’ve seen put professional services with something like only 10% looking to return to Mon-Fri in the office with well over 2/3s looking to do 2 days *or less* in the office.

I think that would be a good thing in many ways and I haven't worked 5 days a week in an office for over 3 years. However, I think you might be extrapolating too much from what I assume are fairly high end jobs in a narrow sector. We reopened out offices last week and several people were very keen to get back albeit they can only do 2 days a week at the moment. Our MD, whilst being quite supportive of flexibility, still likes having most people in the office to share ideas and talk things through. I suspect that's even more the case in more creative office based roles. Despite the inspirational Microsoft ads I don't think sharing ideas works so well when people are remote from each other.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812
    Costas et al are going to feel the pinch.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,605
    pblakeney said:

Costas et al are going to feel the pinch.

Yep, I used to buy a coffee most days. Since lockdown started I've got my own espresso machine and make as nice a coffee at home as I got in any coffee shop (and far better than the stuff in Costa or Starbucks). Even when I go back to the office I'll probably make my own and take it with me.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,704
    Pross said:

I think that would be a good thing in many ways and I haven't worked 5 days a week in an office for over 3 years. However, I think you might be extrapolating too much from what I assume are fairly high end jobs in a narrow sector. We reopened out offices last week and several people were very keen to get back albeit they can only do 2 days a week at the moment. Our MD, whilst being quite supportive of flexibility, still likes having most people in the office to share ideas and talk things through. I suspect that's even more the case in more creative office based roles. Despite the inspirational Microsoft ads I don't think sharing ideas works so well when people are remote from each other.
    Agree with this. A VC just isn't the same as scooting across the office to quickly discuss this or that. Also the more junior staff miss out on seeing and overhearing what is going on. That said, I think most will continue to WFH to some extent, which will also be a benefit.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,941
    edited July 2020
    Anyone off to America soon?

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,820

If that really is going to be the new norm and not the privileged situation it sounds like, I wonder what effect it will have on the value of real estate in the city?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

If that really is going to be the new norm and not the privileged situation it sounds like, I wonder what effect it will have on the value of real estate in the city?
    Commercial, retail and residential all going the same way, then consider the residential impact on places with good commuter links
  • ballysmate
    And salaries. If people don't have to pay a huge wedge in commuting costs, they can work for less.
  • surrey_commuter

And salaries. If people don't have to pay a huge wedge in commuting costs, they can work for less.

Think bigger - if you are going into the office two days a month you can live anywhere in the world which could have a huge impact on your cost of living
  • ballysmate

Think bigger - if you are going into the office two days a month you can live anywhere in the world which could have a huge impact on your cost of living
    True.
    So all you folks working from home in the expensive SE will be competing with people who may live in much cheaper areas, and will be squeezed out when it comes to looking for your next post.
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457
    Pross said:

Have you noticed a bit of a honeymoon for remote working? I certainly think it's nice as a change of pace, but you miss all kinds of comunication between groups that would usually happen.
  • kingstongraham

You ok?

Glad to hear it.
    How are you post C19?

Much improvement?
    Still tired, trying to get a bit more activity in, so I can see if it is covid or just lack of fitness that has me exhausted after exercise. Nothing more than about 15 minutes at minimal effort still. It really sucks.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,820

Commercial, retail and residential all going the same way, then consider the residential impact on places with good commuter links
    This was my exactly thinking when I posed the question.
    Especially when you factor in that big cities also won't offer nearly the same level of "things to do", socially.
    Living in the city not only becomes unnecessary, but undesirable.
    Massive implications for the residential sector.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • surrey_commuter

True.
    So all you folks working from home in the expensive SE will be competing with people who may live in much cheaper areas, and will be squeezed out when it comes to looking for your next post.
    I was thinking more of the opportunity to sell up the 3 bed semi and buy a castle (other dreams are available)
  • kingstongraham
    I think it might be overstated. I can't imagine starting my office working life without being able to go and sit next to someone to badger them, or just watch what they are doing.

It's a very different way of doing things, and will have implications for how easy it is to change roles.

There's also a fine line between "working from home" and "living at work".
  • surrey_commuter

I think it might be overstated. I can't imagine starting my office working life without being able to go and sit next to someone to badger them, or just watch what they are doing.

It's a very different way of doing things, and will have implications for how easy it is to change roles.

there is another part of me that thinks in two years time it will be just another illness and this will be a distant unbelievable memory with us all more or less back to normal.

Our office lease is up in 18 months and I could easily see us adopting hot desking and requiring 75% less space. Not all businesses will be able to do that but I imagine even a 20% fall in demand for office space and 20% less footfall in local businesses will have a big impact.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647

there is another part of me that thinks in two years time it will be just another illness and this will be a distant unbelievable memory with us all more or less back to normal.

Our office lease is up in 18 months and I could easily see us adopting hot desking and requiring 75% less space. Not all businesses will be able to do that but I imagine even a 20% fall in demand for office space and 20% less footfall in local businesses will have a big impact.
    This will be very common. Our firm has put all office moves on hold indefinitely. the obvious issue in the short term is that people will not want to share desks but in the medium term most employers will struggle to put the genie back in the bottle. It will also be a way that employees will differentiate between prospective employers.

My firm's IT department, for example, has decreed that my internet is "too slow" for their systems. I wold argue that fibre broadband shouldn't be required for shuttling word documents around, because this is something I could manage to do in 2002 using a modem, so they just have a bloatware problem. If this is their policy though, in due course I'll probably find a firm that provides better support to home working.
  • kingstongraham
    Might need some visionary policy like free fibre broadband for all.