The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,106
    Apologies for the long copy & paste, but Dr Fauci is worth listening to, I think.

“Chickenpox is a virus. Lots of people have had it, and probably don't think about it much once the initial illness has passed. But it stays in your body and lives there forever, and maybe when you're older, you have debilitatingly painful outbreaks of shingles. You don't just get over this virus in a few weeks, never to have another health effect. We know this because it's been around for years, and has been studied medically for years.

Herpes is also a virus. And once someone has it, it stays in your body and lives there forever, and anytime they get a little run down or stressed-out they're going to have an outbreak. Maybe every time you have a big event coming up (school pictures, job interview, big date) you're going to get a cold sore. For the rest of your life. You don't just get over it in a few weeks. We know this because it's been around for years, and been studied medically for years.

HIV is a virus. It attacks the immune system and makes the carrier far more vulnerable to other illnesses. It has a list of symptoms and negative health impacts that goes on and on. It was decades before viable treatments were developed that allowed people to live with a reasonable quality of life. Once you have it, it lives in your body forever and there is no cure. Over time, that takes a toll on the body, putting people living with HIV at greater risk for health conditions such as cardiovascular disease, kidney disease, diabetes, bone disease, liver disease, cognitive disorders, and some types of cancer. We know this because it has been around for years, and had been studied medically for years.

Now with COVID-19, we have a novel virus that spreads rapidly and easily. The full spectrum of symptoms and health effects is only just beginning to be cataloged, much less understood.
    So far the symptoms may include:
    Fever
    Fatigue
    Coughing
    Pneumonia
    Chills/Trembling
    Acute respiratory distress
    Lung damage (potentially permanent)
    Loss of taste (a neurological symptom)
    Sore throat
    Headaches
    Difficulty breathing
    Mental confusion
    Diarrhea
    Nausea or vomiting
    Loss of appetite
    Strokes have also been reported in some people who have COVID-19 (even in the relatively young)
    Swollen eyes
    Blood clots
    Seizures
    Liver damage
    Kidney damage
    Rash
    COVID toes (weird, right?)

People testing positive for COVID-19 have been documented to be sick even after 60 days. Many people are sick for weeks, get better, and then experience a rapid and sudden flare up and get sick all over again. A man in Seattle was hospitalized for 62 days, and while well enough to be released, still has a long road of recovery ahead of him. Not to mention a $1.1 million medical bill.

Then there is MIS-C. Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children is a condition where different body parts can become inflamed, including the heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, skin, eyes, or gastrointestinal organs. Children with MIS-C may have a fever and various symptoms, including abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, neck pain, rash, bloodshot eyes, or feeling extra tired. While rare, it has caused deaths.

This disease has not been around for years. It has basically been 6 months. No one knows yet the long-term health effects, or how it may present itself years down the road for people who have been exposed. We literally *do not know* what we do not know.

For those in our society who suggest that people being cautious are cowards, for people who refuse to take even the simplest of precautions to protect themselves and those around them, I want to ask, without hyperbole and in all sincerity:
    How dare you?

How dare you risk the lives of others so cavalierly. How dare you decide for others that they should welcome exposure as "getting it over with", when literally no one knows who will be the lucky "mild symptoms" case, and who may fall ill and die. Because while we know that some people are more susceptible to suffering a more serious case, we also know that 20 and 30-year-olds have died, marathon runners and fitness nuts have died, children and infants have died.

How dare you behave as though you know more than medical experts, when those same experts acknowledge that there is so much we don't yet know, but with what we DO know, are smart enough to be scared of how easily this is spread, and recommend baseline precautions such as:
    Frequent hand-washing
    Physical distancing
    Reduced social/public contact or interaction
    Mask wearing
    Covering your cough or sneeze
    Avoiding touching your face
    Sanitizing frequently touched surfaces

The more things we can all do to mitigate our risk of exposure, the better off we all are, in my opinion. Not only does it flatten the curve and allow health care providers to maintain levels of service that aren't immediately and catastrophically overwhelmed; it also reduces unnecessary suffering and deaths, and buys time for the scientific community to study the virus in order to come to a more full understanding of the breadth of its impacts in both the short and long term.

I reject the notion that it's "just a virus" and we'll all get it eventually. What a careless, lazy, heartless stance.”
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,935
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I'm not sure much will change. It was already the case that a lot of the more senior (or old) people worked from home some days whilst the younger generation came in every day. I don't see much changing although I've worked for a flexible company for years.

Really not.
    Guess it depends where you work. 15 years ago my old boss told me that five days in the office in a week meant divorce. You haven't come across a lot of people with a pied-à-terre and the country house?
    Genuinely, I've only ever seen it in people who are over 55 and usually call the shots themselves.

Like I said, my sample size isn't that small, albeit in one industry.

Also, if you read various reports the proportions are similar in terms of how many want to go back to Mon-Fri.

If I'm correct about which industry that is, they're not renowned for a healthy work/life balance.
    Professional services have a presenteeism culture, who knew!

Not if you have billing targets. Presenteeism doesn't cut it.
    Ha, if only.
    How are you defining presenteeism? To me this is being a bum on a seat with little to show for it.

At least in legal work you can sit there for as long as you want, but a piece of work commands a certain range of charges based on expected time spent. If it doesn't exist, you can't charge for it. If it takes you three times too long, you can't charge for 2/3 of it. If you have a billing target based on how long it should take, you won't meet it. If you don't meet it, you won't progress or worse still retain your job. There is nowhere to hide because in most private firms everyone can see everyone's numbers.
    Same for my line of work, it is obvious within a couple of weeks if someone is not pulling their weight. It is apparent that some of our clients - many of whom are in FS - are strangers to this idea.
    I guess you’re saying presenteeism is about being present but not performing.

I just see it as bosses expecting you to be in the office early till late for no good reason than it shows you’re “working hard” regardless of performance.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I'm not sure much will change. It was already the case that a lot of the more senior (or old) people worked from home some days whilst the younger generation came in every day. I don't see much changing although I've worked for a flexible company for years.

Really not.
    Guess it depends where you work. 15 years ago my old boss told me that five days in the office in a week meant divorce. You haven't come across a lot of people with a pied-à-terre and the country house?
    Genuinely, I've only ever seen it in people who are over 55 and usually call the shots themselves.

Also, if you read various reports the proportions are similar in terms of how many want to go back to Mon-Fri.

If I'm correct about which industry that is, they're not renowned for a healthy work/life balance.

Ha, if only.
    How are you defining presenteeism? To me this is being a bum on a seat with little to show for it.

At least in legal work you can sit there for as long as you want, but a piece of work commands a certain range of charges based on expected time spent. If it doesn't exist, you can't charge for it. If it takes you three times too long, you can't charge for 2/3 of it. If you have a billing target based on how long it should take, you won't meet it. If you don't meet it, you won't progress or worse still retain your job. There is nowhere to hide because in most private firms everyone can see everyone's numbers.
    Same for my line of work, it is obvious within a couple of weeks if someone is not pulling their weight. It is apparent that some of our clients - many of whom are in FS - are strangers to this idea.

I just see it as bosses expecting you to be in the office early till late for no good reason than it shows you’re “working hard” regardless of performance.
    I think it’s both. I’m in consultancy and both factors definitely come into play.
    We do need to hit billable targets so therefore do have to deliver but the common expectation is that people work way over their contract hours.
    I have spent my 2.5 years in consultancy with two employers falling foul of this latter expectation.
    More than happy to work long hours in the exceptional circumstances that require it but have no interest in doing 50+ hour weeks just to get by. Plenty of others seem quite happy to do so and I see no correlation between their outcomes and hours worked in many cases.
    I tend to be quite passionate about efficiency but the long hours maniacs see thinking through a problem rather than charging in with no plan as lazy because your tail isn’t on fire.
    Some of the subtle approaches to encouraging longer hours have been quite amusing.
    I am hopeful of a job shift in the near future at which point I will be blogging objectively about how to successfully navigate the industry having been both customer and provider of services.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    morstar said:

Some of the subtle approaches to encouraging longer hours have been quite amusing.

Please expand... :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    ddraver said:

morstar said:

A previous line manager started emailing gifs that related to working long hours was one thing.
    Continual references to anything that had been done out of hours by anybody.
    There was just a constant drip, drip, drip of references to working out of hours.
    At no point did anybody explicitly instruct me to work long hours but working extra hours was mentioned indirectly every other day.
    The daft thing is, I spend a huge percentage of my downtime solving work problems whilst running and cycling as I enjoy solving puzzles and delivering efficiencies. Much of my best work is away from a work scenario. If I was simply putting in endless hours, I wouldn’t have those moments of clarity that sometimes deliver real step changes in performance.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,767

Have we all accepted that SC and others (me) were right that this has been a f@ck up?
    You, SC and anyone else who is working on the above assumption should read this from The Independent:
    https://independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-coronavirus-inquiry-lockdown-iraq-war-brian-hutton-sage-patrick-vallance-a9626136.html
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited July 2020
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-53465160
    Covid cluster at a call centre tasked with Covid tracing. :#
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,884
    morstar said:

ddraver said:

morstar said:

A previous line manager started emailing gifs that related to working long hours was one thing.
    There was just a constant drip, drip, drip of references to working out of hours.
    At no point did anybody explicitly instruct me to work long hours but working extra hours was mentioned indirectly every other day.
    The daft thing is, I spend a huge percentage of my downtime solving work problems whilst running and cycling as I enjoy solving puzzles and delivering efficiencies. Much of my best work is away from a work scenario. If I was simply putting in endless hours, I wouldn’t have those moments of clarity that sometimes deliver real step changes in performance.
    In one of my old companies we were all working excessive hours. We were supposed to do 9-5.30 with an hour for lunch but were generally starting between 8 and 8.30 and working until gone 7 with as long as it took to grab a sandwich for lunch. If you turned up much after 8.30 but before 9 the Director would greet you with 'nice of you to show up' and if you left before 6pm there'd be a glance at the watch followed by 'half day is it?'.

We were busy and needed to do the hours to get the work done but that was because he wanted to avoid recruiting extra staff as then his target fee earnings would go up and he wouldn't look so profitable.
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

One for the irony thread?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,106
    Stevo_666 said:

webboo said:

One for the irony thread?

;)
  • morstar
    Pross said:

morstar said:

ddraver said:

morstar said:

In one of my old companies we were all working excessive hours. We were supposed to do 9-5.30 with an hour for lunch but were generally starting between 8 and 8.30 and working until gone 7 with as long as it took to grab a sandwich for lunch. If you turned up much after 8.30 but before 9 the Director would greet you with 'nice of you to show up' and if you left before 6pm there'd be a glance at the watch followed by 'half day is it?'.

We were busy and needed to do the hours to get the work done but that was because he wanted to avoid recruiting extra staff as then his target fee earnings would go up and he wouldn't look so profitable.
    I take a fairly simple view of long hours.
    When the needs (genuinely) must. You do what you have to do.
    If it is simply expected, or you have to work long hours just to get by, you are either not capable of doing the job effectively or the employer is taking the piss.
    In either of these cases, it is probably time to move on. I have zero interest in presenteeism and believe I am usually more effective than those who pursue this. I know some people do just work very long hours and are very good at their jobs. I take a more rounded approach to life.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,920
    edited July 2020
    I know people who think that the weekend gets in the way of a good working week.
    Takes all sorts. And they can often be wrong. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    morstar said:

Pross said:

morstar said:

ddraver said:

morstar said:

If it is simply expected, or you have to work long hours just to get by, you are either not capable of doing the job effectively or the employer is taking the piss.
    In either of these cases, it is probably time to move on. I have zero interest in presenteeism and believe I am usually more effective than those who pursue this. I know some people do just work very long hours and are very good at their jobs. I take a more rounded approach to life.
    Agreed, in this case they were effectively using free labour (unpaid overtime) to maximise profit and look good. I'd had about 13 or 14 mainly enjoyable years there before that having joined the company as a junior member of staff shortly after they started but the last few years started to make me physically ill despite normally being a laid back sort of person.
  • morstar
    Pross said:

morstar said:

Pross said:

morstar said:

ddraver said:

morstar said:

Agreed, in this case they were effectively using free labour (unpaid overtime) to maximise profit and look good. I'd had about 13 or 14 mainly enjoyable years there before that having joined the company as a junior member of staff shortly after they started but the last few years started to make me physically ill despite normally being a laid back sort of person.
    Definitely not healthy imho. Although some do manage.
    I did lots of voluntary overtime on nights in my early 20’s to make ends meet and I was permanently exhausted.
    Used to fall asleep pretty much everywhere we went. I guess that is a big part of my desire to retain some balance.

I guess I should add that I’m happy to go all in on challenging and exciting work but not the humdrum.
    Our current thing is we’re all being given training objectives to meet but the training time gets gnawed away at all week with the presumption you’ll pick up the slack in your own time.
  • morstar
    pblakeney said:

I know people who think that the weekend gets in the way of a good working week.

I’ve had a couple of bosses who simply don’t seem to leave the workplace.
    One was very hands on and literally worked 60-70 hour weeks all the time. The other was very hands off and would just wander round talking to people all day. Would often collar you leaving and you’d soon find an hour had disappeared.
  • Pross
    morstar said:

pblakeney said:

I’ve had a couple of bosses who simply don’t seem to leave the workplace.
    One was very hands on and literally worked 60-70 hour weeks all the time. The other was very hands off and would just wander round talking to people all day. Would often collar you leaving and you’d soon find an hour had disappeared.
    I had one of the latter too. Nice guy but he was one of our 'work winners' so wasn't generally under pressure to get physical work done and would come over for a chat and cost you an hour of your day that you then had to stay on to claw back. We eventually started jokingly giving him stick about it and when he didn't take the hint on that we had to be more direct despite him being a board director. Apparently he's the same at his current company.
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Really not.

Ha, if only.

I think it’s both. I’m in consultancy and both factors definitely come into play.
    We do need to hit billable targets so therefore do have to deliver but the common expectation is that people work way over their contract hours.
    I have spent my 2.5 years in consultancy with two employers falling foul of this latter expectation.
    More than happy to work long hours in the exceptional circumstances that require it but have no interest in doing 50+ hour weeks just to get by. Plenty of others seem quite happy to do so and I see no correlation between their outcomes and hours worked in many cases.
    I tend to be quite passionate about efficiency but the long hours maniacs see thinking through a problem rather than charging in with no plan as lazy because your tail isn’t on fire.
    I am hopeful of a job shift in the near future at which point I will be blogging objectively about how to successfully navigate the industry having been both customer and provider of services.
    Let me give an example to show what I'm on about.

In a review not so long ago, my boss (and founder of the firm...) mentioned I'm one of the first to leave the office as something to work on.

Despite the fact i am also the first in the office, I asked why he mentioned it and if he thought that I wasn't delivering the right quality of work.

"oh no, you're definitely delivering on the work. This is a good review. It's just good not good to be seen to leave early". (for the record, it's not early, it's just not late)

That attitude is super common in my world.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273

"oh no, you're definitely delivering on the work. This is a good review. It's just good not good to be seen to leave early". (for the record, it's not early, it's just not late)

Weak leadership.. they are scared that you set an example and productivity goes down the drain. Old fashioned ways, but mainly weak leadership.
    left the forum March 2023
  • rick_chasey

Weak leadership.. they are scared that you set an example and productivity goes down the drain. Old fashioned ways, but mainly weak leadership.
    Sure. I think/hope that lockdown has been good at breaking down some of those misconceptions.
  • Pross

morstar said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Really not.

Ha, if only.

Let me give an example to show what I'm on about.

In a review not so long ago, my boss (and founder of the firm...) mentioned I'm one of the first to leave the office as something to work on.

Despite the fact i am also the first in the office, I asked why he mentioned it and if he thought that I wasn't delivering the right quality of work.

Yep, that's the sort of attitude that gets on my nerves. If you've done your work why should you have to hang around pretending because others are inefficient or playing the game of being seen to be doing extra? If everyone is flat out try to deliver work and one person decides to do the work to rule bit it can be annoying but those situations should be the exception and not the rule in a well-managed environment.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273

Sure. I think/hope that lockdown has been good at breaking down some of those misconceptions.
    You think? All I see is people who can't wait to go back to the "good ole ways"
    left the forum March 2023
  • rick_chasey

Yeah I'm optimistic.

I think a lot of managers thought people who were WFH were dossing, and now they can see they weren't.

Makes a big difference.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,727

Yeah I'm optimistic.

I think a lot of managers thought people who were WFH were dossing, and now they can see they weren't.

Makes a big difference.
    You're ignoring the ones that are? Or the accusations that some people are?
  • rick_chasey

Yeah I'm optimistic.

Makes a big difference.
    I don't understand the question, sorry.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,957

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Be interesting to know how much was deferred and how much is an actual drop in VAT due.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2020

Be interesting to know how much was deferred and how much is an actual drop in VAT due.

Businesses had the option to defer VAT payments for a period, which explains this. The catch up will be over the next 9 months with a big spike at the end of March '21.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,727

Yeah I'm optimistic.

Makes a big difference.
    I think there are managers who think that people working from home are currently dossing, and the current lockdown simply reenforces that view. Not everyone is as productive at home.
  • tailwindhome
    Stevo_666 said:

Businesses had the option to defer VAT payments for a period, which explains this. The catch up will be over the next 9 months with a big spike at the end of March '21.
    I know that.

There will also be a drop in the VAT payable for all those businesses which had no, or drastically reduced revenues from March to June.

Our vat payable for the qtr ended 30/04 , due in June but deferred to March is roughly half what it was last year.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,693

Yeah I'm optimistic.

Makes a big difference.
    Ah okay if that's your definition of presenteeism, then okay, probably rife. luckily not that bad in my profession although some firms gear their targets such that it's impossible to meet them without working 50 hours a week plus all of the business development work the business development people appear not to do any of.