The big Coronavirus thread

1134013411342134313441346»

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

The issue TBB is really around whether the decision makers were listening and understanding what Whitty was saying at the time, and acting accordingly.

The reason this inquiry is lacking in sensation is because it is not revealing anything we didn't know at the time.

I think the answer to that is they did for the first lockdown, but didn't for the circuit breaker in September 2020, but the more important question is whether it made any difference - something Whitty noted.

It was pretty disappointing to see them using flawed death league tables in evidence.

This debate is why the inquiry is happening. I am of the view the government either listened or acted too late to the advice in round one, and round two they were off their rocker.

As for the death tables - in the middle of a crisis, perfection is the enemy of good and the same applies to data. You have to draw the line somewhere and make a decision.
    They are using those death tables in the enquiry going on at the moment e.g. "Why did the UK have the worst level of excess deaths in Western Europe?" It didn't, it just kept better stats on deaths than most countries as has been subsequently shown, and its performance was pretty middling. This is a hugely important point, because it means that Germany's earlier lockdown didn't really matter in the end.
    I think Germany was still tracking about 30% better for a long time, and the longer you leave it, the larger the total numbers will be Vs the initial pandemic phase, which itself is misleading.

And by "didn't matter" I assume you are refering purely to numbers, rather than the economic cost and the enormous trauma a few million people felt about it all happening at once and not being able to say goodbye. Because if someone died of COVID in 2022, their family could visit and attend the funeral. Not so in 2020.
    I meant that the excess deaths per capita were roughly the same in both countries, but yes maybe some people got to live 9 months longer.

The point Whitty was making was that it is not just about the first wave, you need to deal with all the future ones too.
    This last point is true and was true then.

Thing is, the govt made the exact same set of mistakes in reasoning with the second and third lock downs, which is the definition of stupidity.

Remember the cancelled Christmas? Dithering makes things worse.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    edited December 2023

pblakeney said:

It is quite handy to have a record of what was said at the time. 😉
    My first post on the subject in this thread, March 12th 2020 at 06:17.

pblakeney said:

Trump did change his tune.

No travel to the USA from Europe, except the UK. I expect this to escalate sooner than 2 weeks. I'd suggest that while this is not the time to panic, it is the time to prepare. Which will introduce panic......😱🤔😉🤣

6/7th March
    pblakeney said:

I voted "go" for pretty much the reasons that the Coopster gave.
    FFS! I agree with the Coopster! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

It would be like visiting a British seaside town in January.

Bliss. I'd much prefer that to a bank holiday weekend.
    pblakeney said:

There is an unheathly amount of overconfidence on show with regard to corona. It seems to rest on the unproven iceberg theory.

Better to take advice from China and the WHO.

And what exactly do the WHO recommend for travel to Rome?
    If you look forward a couple of days from there you will see that I changed my mind based on evidence. If only others did the same.

March 9th.
    pblakeney said:

Italy is now in complete shutdown. We are moving forward on hopes and dreams.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

No travel to the USA from Europe, except the UK. I expect this to escalate sooner than 2 weeks. I'd suggest that while this is not the time to panic, it is the time to prepare. Which will introduce panic......😱🤔😉🤣

6/7th March
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

There is an unheathly amount of overconfidence on show with regard to corona. It seems to rest on the unproven iceberg theory.

If you look forward a couple of days from there you will see that I changed my mind based on evidence. If only others did the same.

March 9th.
    pblakeney said:

Your stance is pretty much what the government is being accused of. The enquiry has repeatedly asked people why they ignored all the evidence and only finally realised how bad it was around 9th/10th/11th March.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694

pblakeney said:

Surely the overarching learn fro it all is to stop the English Exceptionalism and be open to learning from jonny foreigner.

That goes doubly for covid enquiries where in many cases Jonny has publishd the outcome of his enquiry whereas we will not publish the results of ours for an estimated 4 years

I'm going to go with -
    Finally, but who cares now?
    Filed.
    Forgotten.
    I am intrigued enough to ask you to add a few words as I have no comprehension of how that relates to my post
    Finally. Filed. Forgotten.

Pretty neat 3 word slogan per politico pontificating lectern stylee, no?
  • TheBigBean
    I haven't heard the enquiry look at it, but I would like them to look at challenger trials. 1000 brave people could have been given the Oxford jab and then moved into the covid wards. That would have saved lots of lives.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

6/7th March
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

March 9th.
    pblakeney said:

Your stance is pretty much what the government is being accused of. The enquiry has repeatedly asked people why they ignored all the evidence and only finally realised how bad it was around 9th/10th/11th March.
    Some serious exceptions there, mostly a two week lag.
    Most people started wfh around 17/03/2020, if possible.
    Lockdown wasn't announced until 23/03/2020.
    It wasn't legally implemented until 26/03/2020.
    And that's before the criticism of the delay for lockdown #2 by which time there are no excuses.
    Yes, they deserve criticism.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

6/7th March
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

March 9th.
    pblakeney said:

And that's before the criticism of the delay for lockdown #2 by which time there are no excuses.
    You can ignore me. Just telling you what was discussed and how close it was to your posting.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

6/7th March
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

March 9th.
    pblakeney said:

You can ignore me. Just telling you what was discussed and how close it was to your posting.
    People's problems with the government was the two week delay, so it is kind of relevant.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Watching you all nattering about the maybes of a lockdown when Europe had closed down completely was the time I realised Johnson was totally not up to what was going to be required...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

6/7th March
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

March 9th.
    pblakeney said:

People's problems with the government was the two week delay, so it is kind of relevant.
    Because, it is alleged, they failed to take it seriously until 9th/10th/11th March hence why this is the focus of the enquiry.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

6/7th March
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

March 9th.
    pblakeney said:

Because, it is alleged, they failed to take it seriously until 9th/10th/11th March hence why this is the focus of the enquiry.
    I'm of the opinion that they didn't take it seriously till around the 23rd.
    Yes, I'm aware my opinion is worthless, except as a vote.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932
    ddraver said:

Watching you all nattering about the maybes of a lockdown when Europe had closed down completely was the time I realised Johnson was totally not up to what was going to be required...

I seem to remember I didn't have a scooby about what was going on, and for once kept shtum on this thread while it unfolded. The only two things I can recall is not renewing my swimming season ticket in Feb 2020 as steamy changing rooms didn't seem the best place to be, going on an isolated holiday with Mum (my last) in mid-March, and getting in a couple of big concerts just before lockdown, and wondering if a student musician not playing in the last concert was overreacting (having an elderly relative at home).

Once things started to become clearer, I was a maxi-ventilation proponent, and not bothered about washing my post or bread. No way was I going to go indoors with strangers when I had no control of ventilation.

• TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

6/7th March
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

March 9th.
    pblakeney said:

That's a pretty delusional attempt to make yourself feel like you were ahead of the game, but if it makes you feel happy...
  • pblakeney
    edited December 2023

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

6/7th March
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

March 9th.
    pblakeney said:

That's a pretty delusional attempt to make yourself feel like you were ahead of the game, but if it makes you feel happy...
    Ahead of BJ but, :):p:)
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver said:

I seem to remember I didn't have a scooby about what was going on, and for once kept shtum on this thread while it unfolded. The only two things I can recall is not renewing my swimming season ticket in Feb 2020 as steamy changing rooms didn't seem the best place to be, going on an isolated holiday with Mum (my last) in mid-March, and getting in a couple of big concerts just before lockdown, and wondering if a student musician not playing in the last concert was overreacting (having an elderly relative at home).

Once things started to become clearer, I was a maxi-ventilation proponent, and not bothered about washing my post or bread. No way was I going to go indoors with strangers when I had no control of ventilation.

So you owned a TV and took sensible precautions.

Maybe I have an advantage in having colleagues around the world but I had completed my prep for a 3 week lockdown in Feb

I am sure TBB will be along to show that I caught a packed Tube to Cheltenham Festival
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

6/7th March
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

March 9th.
    pblakeney said:

sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings but on the assumption that lockdown took a bit of planning then you are probably on a par with Boris
  • Maybe I have an advantage in having colleagues around the world but I had completed my prep for a 3 week lockdown in Feb

So it was you that triggered panic buying!

• pblakeney
    edited December 2023

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

6/7th March
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

March 9th.
    pblakeney said:

sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings but on the assumption that lockdown took a bit of planning then you are probably on a par with Boris
    Nah, there is evidence to the contrary.
    "On the timing of the first lockdown - which previous witnesses said should have come sooner than 23 March - Mr Johnson said there were "strong arguments against going too early", including the issue of "behavioural fatigue" and "the risk of bounce back". He said the arguments were "made powerfully and they certainly had a big effect on me"."

Plus, BJ? Planning? 🤣🤣🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

6/7th March
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

March 9th.
    pblakeney said:

"On the timing of the first lockdown - which previous witnesses said should have come sooner than 23 March - Mr Johnson said there were "strong arguments against going too early", including the issue of "behavioural fatigue" and "the risk of bounce back". He said the arguments were "made powerfully and they certainly had a big effect on me"."

Plus, BJ? Planning? 🤣🤣🤣

If we just assume that Johnson's utterances are all intended to absolve him of any blame whatsoever and to make him appear intelligent and prescient, despite the mountain of evidence that indicates the opposite, I think one is justified in assuming that almost everything he says is delusional fabrication, whether conscious or not. Anything he happens to say that is true is merely coincidence.
  • pblakeney said:

Plus, BJ? Planning? 🤣🤣🤣

This is the same government that closed schools from the day after the start of term.

In general, that Irish guy from the WHO still looks like he had the right message.
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

6/7th March
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

March 9th.
    pblakeney said:

Plus, BJ? Planning? 🤣🤣🤣

If we just assume that Johnson's utterances are all intended to absolve him of any blame whatsoever and to make him appear intelligent and prescient, despite the mountain of evidence that indicates the opposite, I think one is justified in assuming that almost everything he says is delusional fabrication, whether conscious or not. Anything he happens to say that is true is merely coincidence.
    in fairness to the tvvat, talking plausible bollix at an enquiry is definitely a strog point for him
  • Maybe I have an advantage in having colleagues around the world but I had completed my prep for a 3 week lockdown in Feb

So it was you that triggered panic buying!

Quite the opposite. I went so early that I sat back and started consuming my supplies, had to tell the missus to get back out there and shop as normal.

The only thing I panic bought was two TVs the Friday. I remember telling the chap in John Lewis to tell me what he had in stock and I would chsoe one of those.
  • TheBigBean

ddraver said:

So you owned a TV and took sensible precautions.

Maybe I have an advantage in having colleagues around the world but I had completed my prep for a 3 week lockdown in Feb

I am sure TBB will be along to show that I caught a packed Tube to Cheltenham Festival
    It was easy for us to do that. I just announced I was working from home for the foreseeable future and there were no issues. That opportunity wasn't available for everyone.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited December 2023
    Interesting point Osbourne makes in his podcast with Ed Balls.

Basically the paycut Johnson took to be prime minister was substantial enough versus his outgoings that he basically had a personal financial crisis in early 2020, and so when he was away on "holiday" in Feb 2020, not attending the Cobra meetings etc, he was actually trying to finish his Shakespeare book so he could pay off his tax bill.

As Osbourne summarises himself "because he's bust, he can't deal with covid".
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I will admit that, when covid started making it onto the news, I totally downplayed it, because I focused entirely on the individual risk while ignoring the effect on the availability of healthcare services (not an MD, don't judge). Even then, my email trails show a clear change of thought around the 9th of March. Not the twentysomething.

Other than in my own area of expertise, I expect someone who has the luxury of some of the brigtest, best informed experts in the country, to take decisions better than me.

As an aside, my worst take is thinking, in 2008, that this iPhone thing is a stupid large brick that no one will find useful or desirable. Mind you, I still don't understand how tablets became popular, or why so many schools now want to use them as educational devices. Maybe I'm just old
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    I definitely underplayed it in January / February 2020 as it felt like every year we would have a scare story of a killer virus in Asia that was going to kill half the world’s population. However, even I had decided that travelling to work in Cheltenham on Festival week was a bad idea (my then employer continued with their daily hospitality at the races which I felt was completely irresponsible).

I also gave the Government some slack in the first couple of months when most on here were critical and, other than the delay in dealing with people entering the country and subsequent lockdown, I still don’t feel their initial response was that much worse than most others. However, they really failed to learn and by about June it became clear that Boris was out of his depth and doing whatever he needed to appease whoever was shouting loudest.