The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

No requirements for masks on either of my flights in and out of Italy. Easyjet and B.A.
    Although I may wear one anyway. I've been planning this cycling holiday for 7 years and I'd hate to miss out for a bloody virus.

Just enquired for you about mask wearing. Yes, within Italy you have to wear an FFP2 mask on public transport. Planes don't count going abroad as it's an Italian rule so not enforceable for foreign travel. She did say a lot don't bother.
    Who doesn't bother where? I know none are required on planes but I might part time at least given jimmyjam's post above. I will 100% on the shuttle buses.

These are the nine days out of the past 3 years that I do not want to catch a "cold".

Given the efficiency with which these latest variants are transmitted, I think I'll be back to an FFP2 mask on the plane and trains for my French voyage in a couple of weeks time. Even if the lurgy is (generally) not serious, I still don't want to be laid up for a week when I should be riding my bike up mountains.
    A bit late, but probably safer to drive than to fly, if you are worried about Covid. It’s more expensive and you have to budget for 2 extra days, but it’s a lot nicer and so much less stressful too
    left the forum March 2023
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

No requirements for masks on either of my flights in and out of Italy. Easyjet and B.A.
    Although I may wear one anyway. I've been planning this cycling holiday for 7 years and I'd hate to miss out for a bloody virus.

Just enquired for you about mask wearing. Yes, within Italy you have to wear an FFP2 mask on public transport. Planes don't count going abroad as it's an Italian rule so not enforceable for foreign travel. She did say a lot don't bother.
    Who doesn't bother where? I know none are required on planes but I might part time at least given jimmyjam's post above. I will 100% on the shuttle buses.

These are the nine days out of the past 3 years that I do not want to catch a "cold".

Given the efficiency with which these latest variants are transmitted, I think I'll be back to an FFP2 mask on the plane and trains for my French voyage in a couple of weeks time. Even if the lurgy is (generally) not serious, I still don't want to be laid up for a week when I should be riding my bike up mountains.
    A bit late, but probably safer to drive than to fly, if you are worried about Covid. It’s more expensive and you have to budget for 2 extra days, but it’s a lot nicer and so much less stressful too

I drove last summer, and hated it. It's bearable if you've got someone else to share the driving with (and for chat), but the Route des Anglais is long and tedious. Anyway, since I've got it now, I'll be less concerned in three weeks' time, when I fly!
  • ugo.santalucia

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I drove last summer, and hated it. It's bearable if you've got someone else to share the driving with (and for chat), but the Route des Anglais is long and tedious. Anyway, since I've got it now, I'll be less concerned in three weeks' time, when I fly!
    I have done it probably 20 times… yes, it is boring, but I still prefer it over the stress of an airport and the uncertainty of flights. I hardly ever managed to get to Italy late on schedule by driving, whereas with flying it is pretty much a certainty.
    I also seem to be very unlucky with flights… it’s either the drone that leaves you circling for hours over Gatwick, or the sheer wind that makes the landing terrifying, or the unspecified reason that leaves you grounded inside a plane for two hours waiting for a take off slot… I can’t remember a flight that went according to plan. I truly hate flying

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    The car may be more reliable but the plane would have to be pretty seriously delayed to not still beat it.

Did my first test in a while today. Negative so just some other bug.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ugo.santalucia
    pangolin said:

The car may be more reliable but the plane would have to be pretty seriously delayed to not still beat it.

I don’t say the car is faster.. I mean the car matches the expectations, the plane rarely does. With a car, I budget to be in Italy for dinner and I always mange… with the plane you have no freaking idea when you are going to get there… maybe I am just very unlucky

• briantrumpet
    edited July 2022

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I have done it probably 20 times… yes, it is boring, but I still prefer it over the stress of an airport and the uncertainty of flights. I hardly ever managed to get to Italy late on schedule by driving, whereas with flying it is pretty much a certainty.
    I also seem to be very unlucky with flights… it’s either the drone that leaves you circling for hours over Gatwick, or the sheer wind that makes the landing terrifying, or the unspecified reason that leaves you grounded inside a plane for two hours waiting for a take off slot… I can’t remember a flight that went according to plan. I truly hate flying

In the days when there were Exeter-Paris flights it was an absolute no-brainer, and was just like an extended commute (about 9 hours door-to-door), for about £250 whereas the drive costs about £600 now, and takes 20 hours non-stop (so impossible to do solo in one day).

Bristol is much more faffy & stressy, but still lots cheaper, and still much less stressy than driving 850 miles solo. The French road tolls alone are more than the return flights.
  • briantrumpet

pangolin said:

I don’t say the car is faster.. I mean the car matches the expectations, the plane rarely does. With a car, I budget to be in Italy for dinner and I always mange… with the plane you have no freaking idea when you are going to get there… maybe I am just very unlucky

I always mange my dinner when I'm in France.

Sorry.
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited July 2022

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

In the days when there were Exeter-Paris flights it was an absolute no-brainer, and was just like an extended commute (about 9 hours door-to-door), for about £250 whereas the drive costs about £600 now, and takes 20 hours non-stop (so impossible to do solo in one day).

Bristol is much more faffy & stressy, but still lots cheaper, and still much less stressy than driving 850 miles solo. The French road tolls alone are more than the return flights.
    Drive to Italy NW. from the Midlands is around 800 miles. I have done it solo in one go many times, including on a Fiat 500. I do however prefer to break the journey… some things I like include having lunch or breakfast on the deck of the Ferry, stopping overnight in some decent enough town in France… I feel like it’s part of the holiday, whereas the all flight experience is dreadful, it might last 12 hours less, but it’s 6-8 hours of my life completely wasted in anxiety, stress, fear, frustration…

• briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Drive to Italy NW. from the Midlands is around 800 miles. I have done it solo in one go many times, including on a Fiat 500. I do however prefer to break the journey… some things I like include having lunch or breakfast on the deck of the Ferry, stopping overnight in some decent enough town in France… I feel like it’s part of the holiday, whereas the all flight experience is dreadful, it might last 12 hours less, but it’s 6-8 hours of my life completely wasted in anxiety, stress, fear, frustration…

I guess that both my (mostly good) experience of flights, and my dislike of driving long distances gives us different perspectives.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Driving to Europe is the way. Drive off the ferry and start the experience or when you were young stick your thumb out. Flying is like being trapped in a room with the Johnson. A f*cking nightmare.
    Drive and chill.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Currently in Metz as didn't fancy Verona to London in one go. Traffic is light and not rushing so went over the top of the Gotthard which is beautiful. Very clear today. Unfortunately car started playing up, threatened it with a pair of pliers and it's behaving now.
    As we go to two different places, one of which needs a car as it's quite remote, we usually drive and I enjoy most of it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    edited July 2022

Currently in Metz as didn't fancy Verona to London in one go. Traffic is light and not rushing so went over the top of the Gotthard which is beautiful. Very clear today. Unfortunately car started playing up, threatened it with a pair of pliers and it's behaving now.
    As we go to two different places, one of which needs a car as it's quite remote, we usually drive and I enjoy most of it.

Lack of oxygen?
    Affects cars as well as cyclists. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    pblakeney said:

Lack of oxygen?
    Affects cars as well as cyclists. 😉
    Indeed, unfortunately not that high when it had a hissy fit.
    Had dinner in Prun last night, about 500m above Verona. A lot cooler up there, but still 26'C at 10pm. Top of the Gotthard was 19 this morning, but that's a fair bit higher. Lots of cyclists and motorcyclists enjoying the weather.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    Another option available to Brian would be to walk. He'd definitely take in the scenery better that way. Google says it is 720 miles although it does involve a ferry and not swimming. Assuming he is happy to walk 20 miles a day, it would take just over five weeks. Fortunately, teachers have lengthy holidays.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    edited July 2022
    It's has* hit where I work now 🙄

I'm 99% sure I was in the middle of it when I was forced back from the alps. One of the most awful (and rather foolish) experiences of my life...

(extra word required to get round the swear filter?!?!?)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    We went to Glastonbury. My wife felt awful on return and tested positive on Friday. About 4 days so far pretty much bed ridden. I’ve not particularly isolated from her as there seems little point, but clear so far. Fingers crossed.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • briantrumpet

Another option available to Brian would be to walk. He'd definitely take in the scenery better that way. Google says it is 720 miles although it does involve a ferry and not swimming. Assuming he is happy to walk 20 miles a day, it would take just over five weeks. Fortunately, teachers have lengthy holidays.

I did cycle it once. 741 lovely miles (plus a ferry) door to door in a week. But cheated and flew back from Avignon to Exeter.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Sur le Pont d'Avignon
    L'on y danse, l'on y danse

Innit.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    webboo said:

Driving to Europe is the way. Drive off the ferry and start the experience or when you were young stick your thumb out. Flying is like being trapped in a room with the Johnson. A f*cking nightmare.
    Drive and chill.

Am taking the overnight boat and car to the Netherlands. Even after accounting for 9 days of parking it works out about £300 cheaper than just flying, plus normally we wouldn’t hire a car so we have additional flexibility.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479

webboo said:

Drive and chill.

Am taking the overnight boat and car to the Netherlands. Even after accounting for 9 days of parking it works out about £300 cheaper than just flying, plus normally we wouldn’t hire a car so we have additional flexibility.
    Has it got enough power to make it up the ramp on the ferry?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Probably get keyed during the crossing knowing RC's luck.
  • TheBigBean

I did cycle it once. 741 lovely miles (plus a ferry) door to door in a week. But cheated and flew back from Avignon to Exeter.
    Did you arrive in time for dinner?
  • briantrumpet

Ha, funny you should say that... yes. Neighbours had a barbecue on ready for my arrival at about 8pm... after 130 miles on the last day, it was most welcome.
  • TheBigBean

Ha, funny you should say that... yes. Neighbours had a barbecue on ready for my arrival at about 8pm... after 130 miles on the last day, it was most welcome.
    Sounds like the obvious option then especially if you just want to pop over for the weekend.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586

Probably get keyed during the crossing knowing RC's luck.

Ha, probably.

Am feeling much better in it since returning to the e5 fuel.
  • briantrumpet
    Bloomin' 'eck... if they were doing daily figures, I think they'd be going nuts at the moment, if my friends are anything to go by... seems to be several per day, just in my fairly immediate circle... or maybe this variant is targeting musicians specifically...
  • ddraver
    Other people arent quite so dim as our government...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    And since I posted that, yet another one pops up.
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver said:

Other people arent quite so dim as our government...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

I suspect that's way under-reporting. I also guess that a lot of people will either wittingly or unwittingly be out and about with it, excerbating the spike.

At this stage, I think the only vaguely useful data is from anecdata amongst friends/contacts, and the random sampling to work out the national infection rate. But the later will have a significant time-lag in reporting, and the rate that this one's increasing will overtake the reporting by some margin.
  • ddraver
    I suspect the biggest issue is that no one is going to go and buy a test now...
    - @ddraver