The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Current plan is over 65 and vulnerable only.
    Hopefully that will be amended.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    bm5 said:

Really? That surprises me - especially since the flu jab is offered to over 50s. I'll probably go with whatever the official recommendation is though - that's the approach I've taken from the beginning.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812

bm5 said:

Really? That surprises me - especially since the flu jab is offered to over 50s. I'll probably go with whatever the official recommendation is though - that's the approach I've taken from the beginning.
    I imagine that it will be administered along with the flu jab.
    That would be sensible though so possibly not.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    If we don't get the Omicron specific vaccine, a fourth does of the same stuff is pretty much useless
    left the forum March 2023
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,939

If we don't get the Omicron specific vaccine, a fourth does of the same stuff is pretty much useless

Hmm, not useless if it continues to reduce the risk of severe disease & hospitalisation, but one that actually stopped us getting it in the first place would obviously be better.
  • pblakeney

I am assuming that any dose will be specific to whatever is prevalent at the time.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,336
    pblakeney said:

Rising cases all over the place. Less serious symptoms but none I wish to get.
    I have a feeling that my holiday in Italy may not be as simple as hoped for. 🤬

I'm in Italy now, no restrictions on the public currently. But shop and restaurant staff have been asked to wear masks again, but not mandatory I believe. Numbers are on the up as you say.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274

Why do you think a vaccine specific to last year's variant would definitely be more effective against whatever comes along this winter?

The original vaccine seemed to work to mitigate the effect of Omicron, so why would it now become useless?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

I'm in Italy now, no restrictions on the public currently. But shop and restaurant staff have been asked to wear masks again, but not mandatory I believe. Numbers are on the up as you say.
    Strange. I am going in two weeks and read that FFP2 masks are mandatory on public transport and recommended in public indoor places.

"Public spaces and travel within Italy
    Public spaces and services
    Until at least 30 September, the use of FFP2 masks are compulsory in the following cases:

when entering Italy by ferry, train or coach
    on public transport within the country, including boats, ferries, interregional trains, buses, subways, cars and taxis with a driver
    when visiting healthcare facilities such as hospitals and care homes
    It is still recommended to wear masks in all indoor public spaces. You should pay close attention to signage when travelling and carry a mask with you at all times. Children aged 5 and under do not need to wear a mask."
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ugo.santalucia

Why do you think a vaccine specific to last year's variant would definitely be more effective against whatever comes along this winter?

The original vaccine seemed to work to mitigate the effect of Omicron, so why would it now become useless?
    They are developing dual vaccines, against the original variant and against Omicron, which now seem to be prevalent in its 5 or so variants. Having a specific vaccine would help prevent infection, which currently is not happening. I suspect the protection against infection of the current vaccines is close to zero. It’s a mild disease, but one I would rather avoid catching again in the autumn, to be honest. Once it gets in the household, it’s almost three weeks of misery

• ugo.santalucia
    Maybe I should clarify that the Italian press says they will roll out the new dual vaccines in the autumn, so it would be a bit disappointing to get yet another dose of the old stuff over here... obviously the new vaccine will be a lot more expensive...
  • veronese68
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Strange. I am going in two weeks and read that FFP2 masks are mandatory on public transport and recommended in public indoor places.
    We drove so not much experience of public transport, I'll try to find out. The lad flew back last Friday and most people weren't wearing masks in the airport when we dropped him off, although he had one to use if he wanted it. Says he wore it was crowded once he'd cleared security.
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2022

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

We drove so not much experience of public transport, I'll try to find out. The lad flew back last Friday and most people weren't wearing masks in the airport when we dropped him off, although he had one to use if he wanted it. Says he wore it was crowded once he'd cleared security.
    It's a strange anomaly in their rules, no restrictions on flying. I see an airport as having as much of a potential as a bus station. Anyway, 🤞on getting in & out before it gets any worse.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    Hmm, that is odd. Hope you have a good trip? We've got a couple more days in Tuscany then a big family meal in Verona Saturday night before heading home.
    In other news, just had a text inviting me to have my spring 22 booster jab. 54 years old but on the at risk list. I'll be accepting that, whatever it is.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    This came out yesterday: https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/biontech-pfizer-starting-testing-universal-coronavirus-vaccine-h2-2022-06-29/

"BioNTech, Pfizer to start testing universal vaccine for coronaviruses"

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 710
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

It's a strange anomaly in their rules, no restrictions on flying. I see an airport as having as much of a potential as a bus station. Anyway, 🤞on getting in & out before it gets any worse.
    The relaxation of rules at airports isn't specifically an Italian one, it came from the ECDC (European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control) about 5-6 weeks ago. The EDDC also decided masks are no longer needed on planes, but national governments can overrule this and have done, e.g. on planes flying to/from Italy and Germany (probably to/from other EU countries too) masks are required when on board a flight, except at meal time.

One thing neither you have mentioned is that 1 m social-distancing (except between members of the same household) is still required in Italy.
    I would guess that is the reason why FFP2 mask-wearing is recommended in locations which may get crowded and it become hard to keep 1 m apart – supermarkets, restaurants (except when eating), popular museums and galleries, etc. And probably advisable in some areas of airports, from Veronese's lad's experience.
  • ugo.santalucia
    jimmyjams said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

The relaxation of rules at airports isn't specifically an Italian one, it came from the ECDC (European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control) about 5-6 weeks ago. The EDDC also decided masks are no longer needed on planes, but national governments can overrule this and have done, e.g. on planes flying to/from Italy and Germany (probably to/from other EU countries too) masks are required when on board a flight, except at meal time.

One thing neither you have mentioned is that 1 m social-distancing (except between members of the same household) is still required in Italy.
    I would guess that is the reason why FFP2 mask-wearing is recommended in locations which may get crowded and it become hard to keep 1 m apart – supermarkets, restaurants (except when eating), popular museums and galleries, etc. And probably advisable in some areas of airports, from Veronese's lad's experience.
    I spent three weeks in Italy in April, no such thing as 1 mt rule… not sure where you got that info

• pblakeney
    No requirements for masks on either of my flights in and out of Italy. Easyjet and B.A.
    Although I may wear one anyway. I've been planning this cycling holiday for 7 years and I'd hate to miss out for a bloody virus.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160
    Jet 2 insisted I had a DPL for the EU. So I filled one in. I was almost the only passenger wearing a mask. On my arrival in France not only was I directed to the EU arrival desk because of the long queue at the other one but they showed zero interest in a DPL. Fastest I have ever cleared border control at an airport. No more travelling abroad for me this year though.
  • briantrumpet
    Anecdata - seem to have been some superspreader events amongst Y13's at school... dropping like flies, and lots of them.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 710

jimmyjams said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I spent three weeks in Italy in April, no such thing as 1 mt rule… not sure where you got that info

jimmyjams said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

No requirements for masks on either of my flights in and out of Italy. Easyjet and B.A.
    Although I may wear one anyway. I've been planning this cycling holiday for 7 years and I'd hate to miss out for a bloody virus.

A mask is very advisable on a flight especially before take-off and after landing, as then, unlike when in flight, the airplane air-filter-ventilation system is more or less off. So very critical is when you all sit in the plane for a couple of hours because of a delayed take-off.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,936

Anecdata - seem to have been some superspreader events amongst Y13's at school... dropping like flies, and lots of them.

Sat in exam rooms together and then been out partying if my son is anyrhing to go by.
    Glasto sounds like it has been a superspreader event too, unsurprisingly. All those na, na nas
  • pblakeney
    jimmyjams said:

jimmyjams said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

jimmyjams said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

A mask is very advisable on a flight especially before take-off and after landing, as then, unlike when in flight, the airplane air-filter-ventilation system is more or less off. So very critical is when you all sit in the plane for a couple of hours because of a delayed take-off.

Worthwhile advice. Thanks!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet

Sat in exam rooms together and then been out partying if my son is anyrhing to go by.
    Glasto sounds like it has been a superspreader event too, unsurprisingly. All those na, na nas

Yes, someone else did mention Glastobuggy.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Read an article on Repubblica, where some virologist claims Omicron 5 has an Rt of around 15-17, compared to the 2-3 of the original virus of Wuhan, and that explains why summer hasn't made a dent in the way it spreads
  • veronese68
    pblakeney said:

Just enquired for you about mask wearing. Yes, within Italy you have to wear an FFP2 mask on public transport. Planes don't count going abroad as it's an Italian rule so not enforceable for foreign travel. She did say a lot don't bother.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Just enquired for you about mask wearing. Yes, within Italy you have to wear an FFP2 mask on public transport. Planes don't count going abroad as it's an Italian rule so not enforceable for foreign travel. She did say a lot don't bother.
    Who doesn't bother where? I know none are required on planes but I might part time at least given jimmyjam's post above. I will 100% on the shuttle buses.

These are the nine days out of the past 3 years that I do not want to catch a "cold".
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    Sorry, lots don't bother on trains and buses, being a selfish tw@ is not uniquely British unfortunately.
    I can imagine how much you don't want to catch anything over that period, fingers crossed for you.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Who doesn't bother where? I know none are required on planes but I might part time at least given jimmyjam's post above. I will 100% on the shuttle buses.

These are the nine days out of the past 3 years that I do not want to catch a "cold".

Given the efficiency with which these latest variants are transmitted, I think I'll be back to an FFP2 mask on the plane and trains for my French voyage in a couple of weeks time. Even if the lurgy is (generally) not serious, I still don't want to be laid up for a week when I should be riding my bike up mountains.
  • briantrumpet
    edited July 2022
    Haha, with perferct timing, I've got the faint red line this morning. Not at all surprised, given how rapidly it's been going round school and friends... and that's despite my still keeping my distance and everywhere ventilated. Just feeling 'a bit off' at the mo, but at least it's right at the start of a week when I haven't got much on.