The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Delete the world mild - gone downhill this afternoon - my limit is getting up to make a cup of tea or a lemsip. Luckily when I went round to visit my mum Sunday night (older brother and his wife were up from Canterbury) they'd gone out.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688

Delete the world mild - gone downhill this afternoon - my limit is getting up to make a cup of tea or a lemsip. Luckily when I went round to visit my mum Sunday night (older brother and his wife were up from Canterbury) they'd gone out.

It does seem to be a lottery. Bad luck, and take it easy. Well, I don't suppose you're feeling like doing anything anyway.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    I get the feeling that of the two strains around at the moment, one is really quite nasty, and the other is very mild.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243

ah sorry to hear that. If it's anything like mine, just take it easy and listen to your body and don't overdo it.

Took me 6 weeks to get back to normal and it would have been 5 if i hadn't rushed it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Moderna dual vaccine approved, I have booked my booster for the end of September... it would make a big difference if I could get something that actually helps with preventing infection as well... considering the following week the new batch of students arrive at Uni...
    Fingers crossed, the place I am going to had Moderna back in December
    left the forum March 2023
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    edited August 2022
    I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone going on a plane to wear a decent ffp2 mask.

I didn't, and can say that covid doesn't make for an ideal holiday.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Aah hell! That's very dull KG. Hope it hasn't affected you too badly, also hope you don't suffer for too long after what you've been through with it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

I can wholeheartedly recommend to anyone going on a plane to wear a decent ffp2 mask.

I didn't, and can say that covid doesn't make for an ideal holiday.

Sorry to hear that and really glad that I avoided similar.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Before the plane takes off and the air circulation and filtration kicks in is a perfect covid catching situation. (And the same when getting off the plane.) Worth masking for these bits at least with a proper ffp2 mask.

Wasn't too bad this time, bit like a cold for a few days, but had to curtail plans a bit. Hope it has just gone away this time.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

Before the plane takes off and the air circulation and filtration kicks in is a perfect covid catching situation. (And the same when getting off the plane.) Worth masking for these bits at least with a proper ffp2 mask.

Wasn't too bad this time, bit like a cold for a few days, but had to curtail plans a bit. Hope it has just gone away this time.

Fortunately this advice was posted before I flew, and I adhered.
    Pay attention folks. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    It was for that reason I was happy to catch it, mildly, at the sweet spot, three weeks before I flew here. IIRC, not one person was masked on the (packed) plane.
  • Still no sign of a new variant to take over from BA.5, surely something is brewing somewhere.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Just recovered from whatever the latest one is. Sweaty, achy and tired for the week. Bit of a foggy head which is persisting.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243

If people are interested I can copy and paste, but the gist is there’s macro and anecdotal evidence to suggest corona had increased the number of other non-covid diseases, mainly heart and brain related.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

If people are interested I can copy and paste, but the gist is there’s macro and anecdotal evidence to suggest corona had increased the number of other non-covid diseases, mainly heart and brain related.
    There are excess deaths in much of the western world that are non covid related also. (So much for "they'd have died soon anyway".)

Been watching the John Campbell stuff lately. As of last week there wasn't an attributable cause (that he knew of). Wonder if this will turn out to be it...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Anyone had deteriorating eyesight since having Covid? I was moaning to the wife that my vision has gone downhill in recent weeks. I wore glasses until I was about 12 along with work to correct a turn but the opticians eventually gave up as my good eye was perfect and would keep doing all the work even with glasses and I’ve never had poor vision with both eyes open.

However, in the last few weeks my vision has been increasingly blurry. Typing this on my phone I’m really struggling and I’ve had to increase the font size on my Kindle app.

I assumed it was just age but was surprised how quickly it has got worse and when I moaned about it to the wife she said she has had to start wearing her previously very rarely used glasses much more since having Covid so wondered if there might be a link (we both had it at the same time 3 months ago albeit fairly mild).
  • Interesting thought...

I've been needing glasses for close up work (e.g. book / phone / menu) for a few years now, but have recently started needing them for computer screen work. Whether it's related to my recent Covid bout (which was very mild) or simply getting old (I'm 54 now, and thus only young in my mind) I wouldn't like to say.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    It seems to be one of those anecdotal side effects that the WHO don't list as a side effect
  • Pross said:

It seems to be one of those anecdotal side effects that the WHO don't list as a side effect

I've not really been myself since Covid in June, but since then I've ridden the Marmotte in baking heat with a very dodgy lower back, survived a fairly painful crash in the latter stages of the Marmotte, done a lot of running (with the dog) in high humidity and then endured a couple of weeks of high stress in the run up to A-level results. So I could just have overloaded myself! On the rare cool / low humidity days we've had recently, I've been running well, which gives me hope I'm not falling apart.
  • On the other hand... since Covid I have improved my best 3 minute power to 400 Watt and my best 6 minute power to 350W...
    50 yo in 9 days... :)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434

Interesting thought...

I've been needing glasses for close up work (e.g. book / phone / menu) for a few years now, but have recently started needing them for computer screen work. Whether it's related to my recent Covid bout (which was very mild) or simply getting old (I'm 54 now, and thus only young in my mind) I wouldn't like to say.

didn't catch covid, but i'm sure my accommodation got noticeably worse in 2020

working from home and with far less time out, often just a daily ride, meant a lot less time during the day where i'd be focussing over a wide range of distances
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Pross said:

Anyone had deteriorating eyesight since having Covid? I was moaning to the wife that my vision has gone downhill in recent weeks. I wore glasses until I was about 12 along with work to correct a turn but the opticians eventually gave up as my good eye was perfect and would keep doing all the work even with glasses and I’ve never had poor vision with both eyes open.

However, in the last few weeks my vision has been increasingly blurry. Typing this on my phone I’m really struggling and I’ve had to increase the font size on my Kindle app.

I assumed it was just age but was surprised how quickly it has got worse and when I moaned about it to the wife she said she has had to start wearing her previously very rarely used glasses much more since having Covid so wondered if there might be a link (we both had it at the same time 3 months ago albeit fairly mild).

My eyes are now slightly blurry when I first wake up and I get floaters. I don’t think the floaters are new but have darkened so I can see them all the time. All since the first Covid jab.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    My eyes haven't been right since COVID. I use daily eye drops for high pressure (not glaucoma) and since I had it in Feb I get very very dry eyes in the mornings. I need to use special drops to lubricate them through the day now. Also need to use glasses more and more and a slightly stronger prescription. On top of that the bowel condition I have has been made worse since COVID. It was pretty well managed by the drugs I was on but now it isn't anymore. Probably need to go back onto steroids for a bit :(

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• On the other hand... since Covid I have improved my best 3 minute power to 400 Watt and my best 6 minute power to 350W...
    50 yo in 9 days... :)

Nice one. But compared to me you have the advantage of youth!

By coincidence, the last "power test" I did was the day before I came down with Covid.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

Interesting thought...

I've noticed my eyes have been getting worse over the last year or so. I've not had covid to my knowledge*, but I am 54.

* Tested regularly every time I get what seem to be the right symptoms or if anyone else in the house has had it, not yet had a positive.
  • virgin
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    I'm sure his eyesight would be worse if the 'Big Girls' thread hadn't been canned.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I've also recently started wearing varifocals, but I'd only be looking for other explanations if I was 30, not 50.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164

I've also recently started wearing varifocals, but I'd only be looking for other explanations if I was 30, not 50.

I fear the day when my optician says I need those, as then I'll be officially old and first against the wall when Rick takes power.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]