The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Managed to get out for a run today, 6 days after a clear LFT, and it seemed OK considering I was lacking fitness and had2 weeks off with an injury prior to Covid.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,697
    Covid? That is so last year. And the year before that. Let's all have a mankeypox lockdown next. I'll have my work meeting partygate supplies sorted early doors.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812
    orraloon said:

Covid? That is so last year. And the year before that. Let's all have a mankeypox lockdown next. I'll have my work meeting partygate supplies sorted early doors.

You just have to figure out who is drawing the short straw for the leaving do.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    I'm still yet to ever test positive, but I'm convinced I've had it three times now...

Exposure, right timescale, right symptoms etc etc
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    edited June 2022
    ddraver said:

I'm still yet to ever test positive, but I'm convinced I've had it three times now...

If we are keeping score...
    No exposure, no symptoms, no positive test. Healthiest 30 months of my life.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,939
    pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

If we are keeping score...
    No exposure, no symptoms, no positive test. Healthiest 30 months of my life.

Ditto, as far as bugs are concerned.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Finally got it… from my students at a University poster session. Sore throat, seemingly turning into a cold… didn’t sleep much last night. So far, not terrible, I might go to the allotment later
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross
    I had the joy of driving an anti-vaxxer yesterday, only a couple of miles luckily. She was boasting how she always knew it would go away and was being smug that all those people had been fooled into getting the vaccine when she hadn't. I couldn't even be arsed pointing out all the flaws in what she said so just nodded. She's a bit 'different' at the best of times.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    Pross said:

I had the joy of driving an anti-vaxxer yesterday, only a couple of miles luckily. She was boasting how she always knew it would go away and was being smug that all those people had been fooled into getting the vaccine when she hadn't. I couldn't even be arsed pointing out all the flaws in what she said so just nodded. She's a bit 'different' at the best of times.

Missed a great opportunity to tell her actually, you have Covid at the mo, but you feel fine because you are vaccinated. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • briantrumpet
    Hmm, I was searching for something totally different on my FB feed, and came across two posts I'd completely forgotten about

19 March, 2020:
    "Even though I'm feeling like a pile of virussy poo, and my diary is being cleared faster than intestines after a supercharged enema, this has brightened my day, and will do yours. " (It was a link to Sinatra's Let's Face The Music and Dance).

20 March 2020:
    "Feeling less virussy this morning, but taking nothing for granted, and keeping my germs to myself for the time being."

Was it too early to tell? Well, it's too late to do anything about it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZYxZqghIc8
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160
    Still not had Covid yet. Now I'm packing my bags, ready to go, cause I'm leaving on a jet plane. Got a return but don't know when I'll be back again.. You just never know..
  • briantrumpet

Still not had Covid yet. Now I'm packing my bags, ready to go, cause I'm leaving on a jet plane. Got a return but don't know when I'll be back again.. You just never know..

Well, I didn't think I had, but then when I stumbled on those posts, I just wondered.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,819
    Just got back from Mallorca to find I have got my first dose. (my current state was not helped by the horrendous airport delays and general chaos)

So, anyone contemplating going abroad this Summer because they thought last year was dangerous, really should reconsider.
    Last year there was hardly a cough or a sneeze to be heard behind people's masks.
    This year, the planes sound like a hospital Covid wards, yet hardly anyone wore a mask.
    (Ironically, I did and am triple jabbed, yet here I am....)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160
    Got back too last week. Not a requirement but I wore a mask from entering the departure airports to leaving the arrival ones (except when asked not to by border controls). And yes, coughing and sneezing is fine now.

They say we are in for another wave of whatever variety we are a and NHS will be struggling again. Hey ho..
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203

Just got back from Mallorca to find I have got my first dose. (my current state was not helped by the horrendous airport delays and general chaos)

So, anyone contemplating going abroad this Summer because they thought last year was dangerous, really should reconsider.
    Last year there was hardly a cough or a sneeze to be heard behind people's masks.
    This year, the planes sound like a hospital Covid wards, yet hardly anyone wore a mask.

Imagine all the things holiday makers touch in an airport then planes, a couple of wipes of the eyes, nose, mouth and it's Covid Disneyland.

I still wear a mask in shops and supermarkets.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,551
    edited June 2022
    I have caught it for the second time (August last year previously), presumably from work as I haven't really been anywhere else last week.

Pretty mild symptoms, just a bit tired really.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat

A standard mask only significantly reduces Covid droplets you spread, not massive benefit regarding what you inhale.

Jab usually reduces how I'll you get, does not reduce odds of you testing positive.

Simply clarifying, as your post can be read as opposite being the case, get well soon.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Pross

Got back too last week. Not a requirement but I wore a mask from entering the departure airports to leaving the arrival ones (except when asked not to by border controls). And yes, coughing and sneezing is fine now.

They say we are in for another wave of whatever variety we are a and NHS will be struggling again. Hey ho..

Not convinced the current variant will overwhelm the NHS for those who are fully jabbed (the vast majority). I didn't feel great when I finally had it a few weeks ago but it really wasn't any worse than a fairly bad cold / very mild flu and, critically I suspect, no respiratory issues. Ultimately this is the position the experts seemed to always predict we would be in eventually with the virus becoming more mild but potentially more contagious.

That said, all the early talk of how the pandemic was going to make us much more considerate of the impact of our viruses on others and that behaviour would change appear to have died alongside all the other 'positives' people were suggesting come out of the scare we all had 2 years ago. Humans' inate selfishness is once again shining through.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,389
    edited June 2022
    Came back from Rugby tour in the US a few week ago. Loads of the lads came down with Covid on day of or day after returning. I had all the symptoms (albeit very mild and except the loss of taste/smell) but tested negative for 7 consecutive days . . . reckon I must have had it but just didn't test positive
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    What is the current vaccination policy in England ? I'm assuming an annual jab for all adults but that is just an assumption ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743

What is the current vaccination policy in England ? I'm assuming an annual jab for all adults but that is just an assumption ?

You feel like Covid had become like Brexit and is something BoJo refuses to talk about now he’s declared it “over”
  • briantrumpet

You feel like Covid had become like Brexit and is something BoJo refuses to talk about now he’s declared it “over”

I'm seeing quite a number of cases popping up amongst pupils and my friends now... and France has just advised the public to start wearing masks again in crowded places.
  • pblakeney
    Rising cases all over the place. Less serious symptoms but none I wish to get.
    I have a feeling that my holiday in Italy may not be as simple as hoped for. 🤬
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

I was just wondering when I would be due a booster.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274

I don't think there is one now. Over 75s got a spring booster, but no plans yet announced for this winter.

I'd assume there'll be a booster for over 60s or something unless the next variant is anything nasty.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat

I don't think there is one now. Over 75s got a spring booster, but no plans yet announced for this winter.

I'd assume there'll be a booster for over 60s or something unless the next variant is anything nasty.
    That third booster that everyone was offered, in many cases taken up more than six months ago, isn't going to offer protection forever.

I suspect that once again Boris will dither and delay, reacting too little too late. Heck, he's even ditching daily stats from Friday to go weekly while admissions to hospitals are 7912 for the last week in England alone on a currently very similar curve to the April peak.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    I suspect what will determine who gets a booster is who is in government tbh...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver