The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    ddraver said:

I suspect the biggest issue is that no one is going to go and buy a test now...

That too. Fortuntely I know a teacher who was in charge of doling out the free tests before they were axed, but before her stock was depleted.
  • briantrumpet
    Actually, I'd forgotten ZOE - that might be more responsive, as it relies on a large network of self-reporting.

https://health-study.joinzoe.com/data#levels-over-time
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    He is the sort of man who should be in government but never will be because he actually knows what he's talking about...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707

jimmyjams said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Rising cases all over the place. Less serious symptoms but none I wish to get.
    I have a feeling that my holiday in Italy may not be as simple as hoped for. 🤬

I'm in Italy now, no restrictions on the public currently. But shop and restaurant staff have been asked to wear masks again, but not mandatory I believe. Numbers are on the up as you say.
    Strange. I am going in two weeks and read that FFP2 masks are mandatory on public transport and recommended in public indoor places.
    We drove so not much experience of public transport, I'll try to find out. The lad flew back last Friday and most people weren't wearing masks in the airport when we dropped him off, although he had one to use if he wanted it. Says he wore it was crowded once he'd cleared security.
    It's a strange anomaly in their rules, no restrictions on flying. I see an airport as having as much of a potential as a bus station. Anyway, 🤞on getting in & out before it gets any worse.
    The relaxation of rules at airports isn't specifically an Italian one, it came from the ECDC (European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control) about 5-6 weeks ago. The EDDC also decided masks are no longer needed on planes, but national governments can overrule this and have done, e.g. on planes flying to/from Italy and Germany (probably to/from other EU countries too) masks are required when on board a flight, except at meal time.

One thing neither you have mentioned is that 1 m social-distancing (except between members of the same household) is still required in Italy.
    I would guess that is the reason why FFP2 mask-wearing is recommended in locations which may get crowded and it become hard to keep 1 m apart – supermarkets, restaurants (except when eating), popular museums and galleries, etc. And probably advisable in some areas of airports, from Veronese's lad's experience.
    I spent three weeks in Italy in April, no such thing as 1 mt rule… not sure where you got that info
    Hi Ugo, I wanted to respond earlier but other stuff got in the way.
    I was due to drive to Italy on the weekend of 4 June, so naturally beforehand looked which rules existed there. As it happened, my trip was cancelled on 31 May, but by then I had already done the research.

It seemed that the Italian government had intended to cancel all mask-wearing and social-distancing as from the end of April (so social-distancing was actually still in effect during your visit in April, even if you didn't notice), however in the end, the Italian government drew back from full cancellation.
    Mask-wearing was kept not just for health/care facilities and on public transport (as still the mandate) but also kept for certain other venues (till 15 June) - cinemas, theatres, concert halls, sports arenas, schools and universities as well as restaurants/bars (when not dining) and hairdressing/beauty salons. Museums, galleries, and churches were allowed to impose a mask requirement if they wished.

I could find no official statements about social-distancing after the end of April, but what I did find were several websites which said it still applied at the end of May (and which still say it applies even now), e.g. the ADAC, CNN and US Embassy websites.
    The CNN website states “Social distancing restrictions remain in place, including on public transport“ (pointing out this also means in taxis), while the US Embassy website states “Italian police can impose monetary sanctions for non-compliance with Italian anti-COVID-19 measures regarding social distancing“. A couple of travel websites still advise wearing a mask if “not able to maintain social distancing“, for example in shops, thus implying there is still a social distancing rule.

My conclusion was that wherever masks were still required, or advised, into June, then social distancing is still obligatory - so at the locations I list above.
    (Degree of compliance is something else of course, as Veronese reported re wearing of masks on trains and buses).

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    edited July 2022
    ^^^^ I checked as I am going soon and the rules were extended until September. ^^^^
    (Italy only)
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    5th Jab jabbed. That makes 2x AZ; 1x Pfizer; 2x Moderna.

Which ones am I missing for a full set?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

Bleach.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130

More importantly, what download speeds are you getting?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

5th!?! Bloody hell, I thought i was doing well to have just had my 4th. I've now had 3 Pfizer and 1 Moderna. not tried the AZ yet.
    Bit of hassle getting the most recent, I'm on a priority list having had a lymphoma about 15years ago. Apparently any history of lymphoma or leukaemia puts you on the list. Busy body supervisor grilled me on why i was there, showed her the text from my GP saying i should book in to have it. Asked more questions before deciding I shouldn't be on the list. Told her I'd spoken to my GP the previous day and he confirmed I should be on the list and should book in to have it. She insisted he was wrong and went to get the duty doctor to explain it to me. Duty doctor told her she was wrong before she'd even finished her first sentence.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Yikes just give the man the jab already.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581

Sputnik 5
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    mrb123 said:

Sputnik 5
    too late for that... shame!
    left the forum March 2023
  • photonic69
    mrb123 said:

Sputnik 5
    :D Yes, the Great Putinator jab!

Ummmm,... think I'll pass.

• photonic69

5th!?! Bloody hell, I thought i was doing well to have just had my 4th. I've now had 3 Pfizer and 1 Moderna. not tried the AZ yet.
    Bit of hassle getting the most recent, I'm on a priority list having had a lymphoma about 15years ago. Apparently any history of lymphoma or leukaemia puts you on the list. Busy body supervisor grilled me on why i was there, showed her the text from my GP saying i should book in to have it. Asked more questions before deciding I shouldn't be on the list. Told her I'd spoken to my GP the previous day and he confirmed I should be on the list and should book in to have it. She insisted he was wrong and went to get the duty doctor to explain it to me. Duty doctor told her she was wrong before she'd even finished her first sentence.

Jeeez! Seems like they are over protective of their jab stocks!!

I just had a text a few weeks back to get it done. I couldn't at the time as I was too busy at work. Then as cases rose I got another text reminding me to do it so I thought 'feck work' I'll just book the next available slot at the nearest place to me which happened to be a Chemist just down the road from me. Booked. Jabbed. Done. I'm on immune supressing drugs hence my vulnerable case.

• ugo.santalucia
    Read somewhere we passed the 200K deaths milestone... that's quite some number!
  • briantrumpet

"Got all the big calls right."
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864

Would be great to see the excess death charts to see if many of them were “taken early” so deaths should now be low
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509

Would be great to see the excess death charts to see if many of them were “taken early” so deaths should now be low
    Also, the different ways of counting deaths will start to diverge, so the died within 28 days of a covid test stat may be much larger than excess deaths. We @kingstongraham to crunch the numbers.
  • surrey_commuter

Also, the different ways of counting deaths will start to diverge, so the died within 28 days of a covid test stat may be much larger than excess deaths. We @kingstongraham to crunch the numbers.
    agree ( :o ) that there are so many positive and negative factors that excess deaths are the only way of getting a true picture.

I can't decide if I think 200,000 over 2.5 years is a big or small number
  • surrey_commuter
    this is pretty cool -about a quarter of the way down there is a chart you can play with.
    https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Not sure what it is telling me other than the UK is living up to Boris's hyperbole of having a world beating Covid performance as measured by excess deaths
  • ugo.santalucia
    7 billion people, an estimate of 20 million deaths (a lot are unaccounted), roughly 0.3% of the world population.
    In the UK 67 million people and 180K deaths, so roughly 0.27% of the population... about the same... but spending a lot more than average and vaccinating a lot more than average, so I would call it a pretty poor performance
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,867

agree ( :o ) that there are so many positive and negative factors that excess deaths are the only way of getting a true picture.

It's a reasonable number in comparison with total deaths per single non pandemic year.

Wikipedia reckons 250,000 died of the Spanish Flu in the UK.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Jezyboy said:

It's a reasonable number in comparison with total deaths per single non pandemic year.

Yeahbbut, no vaccines, no NHS... basically we spent billions to perform in a similar way to 100 years earlier
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Well the population was much smaller, so as a % likely much higher.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

Jezyboy said:

Yeahbbut, no vaccines, no NHS... basically we spent billions to perform in a similar way to 100 years earlier
    You give scientists a bad name sometimes. Your definition of "similar" is a factor of 5.

It is a spurious comparison anyway, between entirely unrelated pathogens.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,867
    Meh, the point is it's the obvious other big pandemic, so I think it's valid to thinks about when trying to judge the seriousness of the past 2.5 years.

Agree that it's not worthwhile to use it as some kind of guidance on performance though.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    The estimated figures for the worldwide death toll if there'd been no vaccines are pretty eye watering.
  • ugo.santalucia
    mrb123 said:

The estimated figures for the worldwide death toll if there'd been no vaccines are pretty eye watering.

And yet, I suspect that the image of Astra Zeneca as a company has been damaged by the vaccine... can't please them
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Meh, It had been and gone before I had mine...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver