The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Anyway, I am making slow progress but progress nonetheless with my recovery.

Alas picked up a stinker of a cold so I am feeling **rough**

if you are isolating how did you get a cold?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,961

I'm into week 4, I've not been isolating since day 12 - I tested negative on day 16.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited April 2022

You also don't have to isolate if you test positive (it was strange seeing my +ve neighbours annouce they were going to the shops).
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,694

You also don't have to isolate if you test positive (it was strange seeing my +ve neighbours annouce they were going to the shops).
    Thats a hugely ignorant thing for them to have done. Memories are so short and people are so childish.
  • shirley_basso
    My wife and I did raise our eyebrows to one another as we peered through the shutters
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,383
    Good job you can see through the shutters from behind the sofa 😉
    Seriously though, people are fuckingidiots! We've had nearly half the warehouse off with it as someone came in when positive, she told someone she'd tested positive, but they didn't tell a manager for a few days. A week later lots have it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,919
    Just to show it isn't just the Westminster government who go down the 'do as I say, not as I do' route a bunch of Welsh Assembly members got cleared today after drinking alcohol at a meeting in the Senedd tea room during a ban on the sale of alcohol introduced by the Senedd itself.

The investigation concluded that they hadn't breached the code of conduct as it was only illegal to sell alcohol and not to drink it. It was also concluded they weren't aware they were doing anything wrong despite, presumably, having sat through discussions on the introduction of the ban.

Absolute farce, for balance the Assembly members were from a mix of parties (I don't know if anyone got reprimanded for selling the booze).
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401

My wife and I did raise our eyebrows to one another as we peered through the shutters

Something about choice apparently...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,929
    The choice of whether to knowingly spread a virus or not.
    Wonderful.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

Look at the positives. Now you know what sort of people your neighbours are.
  • shirley_basso
    One is a two-time PhD. The other is an scientist / engineer who develops medical devices.

• drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

One is a two-time PhD. The other is an scientist / engineer who develops medical devices.

So, as you can see, having a respected academic background need not be correlated with caring about others.
  • shirley_basso
    Was a bit odd.

I imagine their attitude is reflective of the section of the population who just can't be arsed any more.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,961
    I think, *I think* I'm over the worst of the fatigue as I can now march around at normal pace.

Hard to tell as this cold is hard to shift, but i feel now quite normal apart from having a cold, rather than this overwall weakness and lack of strength.

Yet to get on the bike to test for real, but I suspect all that lying down for 3-4 weeks is not that great for fitness...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    pblakeney said:

The choice of whether to knowingly spread a virus or not.
    Wonderful.

I didn't really get it either...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    Half of current hospital patients are for covid. Not with covid but for covid.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,384
    pblakeney said:

That graph says half of hospital patients who have tested positive for covid are being treated for covid.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,121

pblakeney said:

That graph says half of hospital patients who have tested positive for covid are being treated for covid.

And given the current infection rates, which I suspect are waaay higher than official data, if the number of my friends succumbing in the last couple of weeks is anything to go by), that number is still, in real terms, remarkably low.

It doesn't stop the media using relative terms like 'half of' and percentage increases that make the critical care situation sound much worse than it is.
  • pblakeney
    All about the wording I suppose.
    Bottom line is that we'd be much better off with 5000 less patients in hospital.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
  • pblakeney

ICU numbers remain low.

I guess A&E turning away patients due to a lack of beds is just the new norm.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

ICU numbers remain low.

I guess A&E turning away patients due to a lack of beds is just the new norm.

Cumulative effect of NHS underfunding, backlog from previous lockdowns, and numbers of staff staying at home with covid (the fools... shouldn't they just go in anyway and tell everyone to wash their hands more?).

It's not good, but it could be a whole lot worse. Obviously it's horrible for those needing critical care now, but taking the wider perspective, it's not the disaster it might have been, given infection rates now.
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

All about the wording I suppose.
    Bottom line is that we'd be much better off with 5000 less patients in hospital.

Of course we would be, but the NHS in particular works on a system of 'acceptable levels' of infection/whatever, as 'zero level' of any disease costs a very high level of $s.
  • pblakeney
    edited April 2022
    I guess my main point is that this is far from over yet. And it won't be for as long as people think that it is. You don't want to be having an accident on your bike either.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

I guess my main point is that this is far from over yet.
    And it won't be for as long as people think that it is.

100% agree with that. Though if 95% of the population don't give a stuff about catching it or spreading it, it feels rather Canute-ish trying to make the point.
  • pblakeney
    edited April 2022

pblakeney said:

100% agree with that. Though if 95% of the population don't give a stuff about catching it or spreading it, it feels rather Canute-ish trying to make the point.
    You'll hear about it if they have to go to hospital though. For whatever reason.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,919

pblakeney said:

To be fair there are a lot of Canutes out there.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    If they did not release people from hospital and many people would have died in hospital corridors Would this also be illegal.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,694
    john80 said:

If they did not release people from hospital and many people would have died in hospital corridors Would this also be illegal.
    This post beggars belief.

Have a ponder about why this might be an analogy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Mallon