The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401

ddraver said:

Can Englanders still order free LFT tests or do I just pretend I'm ok and go to work..?

Can't see why not here: https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests
    I tried that and there were "no slots" (?). I wondered if that was Toryspeak for "lol no".

Will try and drop by a pharmacy.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,112
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

Can Englanders still order free LFT tests or do I just pretend I'm ok and go to work..?

Can't see why not here: https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests
    I tried that and there were "no slots" (?). I wondered if that was Toryspeak for "lol no".

Will try and drop by a pharmacy.

Ah, so a bit like Ukrainians refugees trying to get into the UK... the headline is "Yes", but in practice "Erm well, erm..."
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,960

Interesting: the number of covid patients in Devon hospitals is at its highest level since the beginning of the pandemic, as cases skyrocket again ("But it's all over!!"), but the number on ventilators is (mercifully) still very low.

The doctors I know are saying this is very much people in hospital for other reasons also have covid. Whilst not great, it's not that covid is putting significantly more pressure on them.
  • briantrumpet
    Jezyboy said:

Interesting: the number of covid patients in Devon hospitals is at its highest level since the beginning of the pandemic, as cases skyrocket again ("But it's all over!!"), but the number on ventilators is (mercifully) still very low.

The doctors I know are saying this is very much people in hospital for other reasons also have covid. Whilst not great, it's not that covid is putting significantly more pressure on them.

That'd make sense.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,923
    Jezyboy said:

This is also what I am hearing.
    A clear distinction needs to be made between those in hospital because of Covid and those in hospital for other treatment who happen to test positive.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,958

After many near misses, it looks like its my turn for the double red lines.

Fingers crossed this has been 24hr thing for me. Felt exactly like the after-effects of the AZ vaccine. Sore, heavy, arms and legs and chills, with the addition of a dry throat and occasional cough.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,734

Fingers crossed this has been 24hr thing for me. Felt exactly like the after-effects of the AZ vaccine. Sore, heavy, arms and legs and chills, with the addition of a dry throat and occasional cough.

My worse days were 15,16, and 17, but that could have been something else caught during my post covid go wild days just before.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,949
    Ugh 2 steps forward 1 steps back.

Managed to sit upright for most of yesterday. Struggling to do so today already.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,904
    ddraver said:

What's he done wrong..?

Listened to Government advice and ignored internal H&S requirements presumably (plus working with a bunch of generation snowflake who get 'stressed and nervous' about such things). It's an internal investigation so will depend on McDonalds policies rather than the current Government guidance - to be honest I would be happy having my food prepared by someone who is ill no matter what virus they may have especially if they aren't follwoing basic food hygeine such as hand washing.
  • briantrumpet

Managed to sit upright for most of yesterday. Struggling to do so today already.

I suspect it's going to be a case of really restraining yourself from trying to make up 'lost ground' on the days when you feel you can do more, and increasing incrementally. I'm rubbish at that, as I've discovered with my post-concussion syndrome (still).
  • rick_chasey

I suspect it's going to be a case of really restraining yourself from trying to make up 'lost ground' on the days when you feel you can do more, and increasing incrementally. I'm rubbish at that, as I've discovered with my post-concussion syndrome (still).
    Yeah I know.

I am rubbing up against the prejudices of people who had barely any symptoms, which is frustrating.
  • briantrumpet

Yeah I know.

I am rubbing up against the prejudices of people who had barely any symptoms, which is frustrating.

Fortunately my colleagues and employer were very understanding, and still are, possibly because none of them have had PCS, so are unable to say "Well, I had it, but I just soldiered on!!" Most people have their own covid stories by now...
  • tailwindhome

This may have been the paracetamol talking
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    My wife’s had a pretty unusual issue as a result of Covid. She had Covid a couple of weeks ago, tested negative early last week and went back to work for a few days. Still felt tired and bunged up but by and large was okay.
    Then on Sunday afternoon she went for a regular eye test, and during the test the ophthalmologist was very concerned by the images of the back of her eyes, and in particular the optic nerve. They looked to be under pressure, which is often caused by a tumour, and my wife was packed into an ambulance and taken to Western Eye Hospital in London.
    At the Eye Hospital she had 2 hours of eye tests and the outcome was inconclusive, so she was then sent for a brain scan and a load of blood tests. Fortunately the brain scan showed nothing untoward, and they now believe the pressure has actually been caused by the Covid virus. She’s now having complete rest for the next 2 weeks to let her body recover, and has appointments scheduled with a neurologist in April (she’s going to need to have a lumbar puncture, which isn’t too appealing).

The one positive from this was to see how excellent the NHS can be - every step was unbelievable, and not a single form needed to be filled in which was a blessing too !!!
  • briantrumpet

My wife’s had a pretty unusual issue as a result of Covid. She had Covid a couple of weeks ago, tested negative early last week and went back to work for a few days. Still felt tired and bunged up but by and large was okay.
    Then on Sunday afternoon she went for a regular eye test, and during the test the ophthalmologist was very concerned by the images of the back of her eyes, and in particular the optic nerve. They looked to be under pressure, which is often caused by a tumour, and my wife was packed into an ambulance and taken to Western Eye Hospital in London.
    At the Eye Hospital she had 2 hours of eye tests and the outcome was inconclusive, so she was then sent for a brain scan and a load of blood tests. Fortunately the brain scan showed nothing untoward, and they now believe the pressure has actually been caused by the Covid virus. She’s now having complete rest for the next 2 weeks to let her body recover, and has appointments scheduled with a neurologist in April (she’s going to need to have a lumbar puncture, which isn’t too appealing).

The one positive from this was to see how excellent the NHS can be - every step was unbelievable, and not a single form needed to be filled in which was a blessing too !!!

There are certainly some weird things with it. A distressing experience, but fingers crossed it all turns out OK in the end. 🤞
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

There are certainly some weird things with it. A distressing experience, but fingers crossed it all turns out OK in the end. 🤞
    Thank you.

The docs said they’re discovering weird Covid-related things pretty much every week, and most of it is utterly unexplainable.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,693
    Spinal tap.

Well lick my love pump.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    Household have tested negative twice now after 4 or so days. None had serious symptoms just lacked a bit of "top end power" and a bit more coughy than usual.

I've still not been positive.

Virology is f'kin weird man...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,472
    COVID affected my eyes pretty badly too. I only need glasses to read but when I was ill I just couldn’t focus on anything at all. Glasses or no glasses. Pressure in my eyes is slightly high so have to take daily drops. Hope your wife recovers fully from this. Not nice when your eyes feel funny!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• tailwindhome
    edited March 2022
  • rick_chasey

COVID affected my eyes pretty badly too. I only need glasses to read but when I was ill I just couldn’t focus on anything at all. Glasses or no glasses. Pressure in my eyes is slightly high so have to take daily drops. Hope your wife recovers fully from this. Not nice when your eyes feel funny!

hmm I thought my eyes were going funny because I wasn't really going outdoors because I could barely sit up so I was staring at my phone too much.

Into week 3 and I did a full day sitting upright without having to lie down which was a first.

I have done a few short errands to shops to pick up the odd thing, so that's a start.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,693
    We shouldn't be wasting time talking about this little virus.

Someone in America has slapped someone else. It is shocking.
  • briantrumpet
    Another reason (apart from foreign trips planned) not to just go out and get omicron... does suggest that 'herd immunity' might not be a thing yet...

"“The surprising aspect is that even, say, compared to expectations from common colds, Omicron seems so poorly immunogenic that it doesn’t even stimulate good immunity to itself – something that should be noted by all those thinking they may as well go out and get infected as a ‘natural booster’,” he said."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/31/why-are-so-many-people-in-england-getting-reinfected-with-covid-omicron
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,904
    I've decided if I don't get it after being crammed in an enclosed space with 600 odd people tonight chances are I've got a good immune system
  • tailwindhome
    We seem to be at the level of cases which was previously thought to be ridiculous chat

Glad we all waited for the fully vaxxed milder form
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,923

We seem to be at the level of cases which was previously thought to be ridiculous chat

Glad we all waited for the fully vaxxed milder form

This is exactly why we went through what we did for the past 2 years.
    Just a shame that some can't see it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Anyway, I am making slow progress but progress nonetheless with my recovery.

Alas picked up a stinker of a cold so I am feeling **rough**
  • briantrumpet
    I'm on my way to the French house as I type, and the approach to mask wearing is utterly, totally bizarre. From nothing, in mad crushes at security, to properly masked, with every stage in between. Almost surprised I've not seen anyone wearing one as a posing pouch.

You'd really not think that rates were sky high again, and that it's really not fun if you catch it.