The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,318

Odds on my pre-June jab just got longer

Yep. Already felt like it was crawling closer. Pleased the rule change isn't moving though.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,847

can't you stay in their home from Monday?

Not in Wales, no, now provisionally 7th June.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,337

What I would like to know is of the people who have died with Covid
    What age are they were they vaccinated why have they died. Is the vaccine working or not. This madness needs to end.

That desperately needs punctuation:
    What age are they? were they vaccinated? why have they died? Is the vaccine working or not?
    Yes , I know.
    Only managed a cse grade 2 in English circa 1978 ,
    Not being a smartarse, I had to read it a couple of times to make sense of it so was trying to make it easier for others. They are fair questions to ask.
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677

What I would like to know is of the people who have died with Covid
    What age are they were they vaccinated why have they died. Is the vaccine working or not. This madness needs to end.

That desperately needs punctuation:
    What age are they? were they vaccinated? why have they died? Is the vaccine working or not?
    Yes , I know.
    Only managed a cse grade 2 in English circa 1978 ,
    Not being a smartarse, I had to read it a couple of times to make sense of it so was trying to make it easier for others. They are fair questions to ask.
    No problem at all.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,581

Looks like BBC have not mentioned the Welsh/Drakeford reaction to the Indian strain that affects me, namely I now shouldn't be going to stay with my mum and sis next weekend, as "extended households" have been provisionally postponed until 7th June?

What's this then, if not a (panic stricken) reaction to the Indian strain?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57102249

No leaving Wales this year, which is worse than last year. This despite having already vaccinated almost two thirds of the entire population and having a single figure infection rate. (here currently 1.4/100,000)
    With any luck, next year it will be the Porthcawl mutation, (there are usually a few to be found there during July and August) and he'll be asking us to pile into Cardiff International ghost town to catch non existent planes to anywhere.

Will Wales be open to non Welsh this summer?
    Does anybody actually care unless they're Welsh? :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,581

loltoride said:

2nd Vac booked 5th June glad now thats out of the way.

snap

maybe we could go on Rick's holiday for him :)
    No point letting good holidays go to waste :)

Although that said, one thing this pandemic has taught me is that its no real biggie missing a few holidays.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Stevo_666 said:

Looks like BBC have not mentioned the Welsh/Drakeford reaction to the Indian strain that affects me, namely I now shouldn't be going to stay with my mum and sis next weekend, as "extended households" have been provisionally postponed until 7th June?

What's this then, if not a (panic stricken) reaction to the Indian strain?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57102249

No leaving Wales this year, which is worse than last year. This despite having already vaccinated almost two thirds of the entire population and having a single figure infection rate. (here currently 1.4/100,000)
    With any luck, next year it will be the Porthcawl mutation, (there are usually a few to be found there during July and August) and he'll be asking us to pile into Cardiff International ghost town to catch non existent planes to anywhere.

Will Wales be open to non Welsh this summer?
    Does anybody actually care unless they're Welsh? :smile:
    We have hotel booked in North Wales over the summer. The past year must have been hard on the Welsh, not having any visitors to pretend to not understand.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,819

can't you stay in their home from Monday?

Not in Wales, no, now provisionally 7th June.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles

You ought to pop over to Wales, Rick.
    My nephew is 6 years younger than you and he's booked in for his second jab on Monday.
    Pretty sure we could sort you out.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    So it doesn’t appear that the April shortfall in vaccine availability is over. Was quietly hoping after a week or so of May we would start to see the daily vaccination rates begin to climb again but not sure that’s happening yet.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647

So it doesn’t appear that the April shortfall in vaccine availability is over. Was quietly hoping after a week or so of May we would start to see the daily vaccination rates begin to climb again but not sure that’s happening yet.

Its been running at about 500k a day.
  • pangolin

Agreed, I was hoping it would begin to accelerate again.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,646

I don't think the recent announcement will have that big an impact. Under 40s are not getting the AZ vaccine, so presumably there is about to be a lot of it going spare. Using this on second doses makes sense although Whitty noted that 12 weeks is more effective.

Over 50s who get an accelrated Pfizer vaccine are delaying yours though.

Would be interested in the stats of which vaccines have been used.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    I thought it was under 30s
  • pangolin
    Last night:

"Prioritising second doses won't cause delays for young people - Whitty
    Asked by Hugo Gye from the i newspaper about the impact of prioritising second doses in England, Prof Whitty says the move will not lead to a delay in younger people getting their first jabs.

He says that is because the JCVI's recommendation is that most people under the age of 40 will be vaccinated with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, "whereas the revaccination programme is largely at this point" with AstraZeneca vaccines.

"This should not lead to significant delays, we don't have that trade off," he says.

He adds that there is still a desire to "maintain a slightly longer gap" of eight weeks between doses because there are "some advantages to that".
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,646

I thought it was under 30s

It changed to under 40s.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah great. Better flavours too
  • rick_chasey

I wonder how many deaths in the UK this delay will cause?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    You keep forgetting we're all vaccinated.
  • rick_chasey

🖕🏻
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,337

🖕🏻
    I read KG's comment as being a sarcastic take on the 'everything is rosy as we're doing so well with the vaccination view' rather than having a dig at your youthfulness
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,939

🖕🏻
    I read KG's comment as being a sarcastic take on the 'everything is rosy as we're doing so well with the vaccination view' rather than having a dig at your youthfulness

KG needs his own 'KG sarcasm emoji' by default for his one-liners.
  • kingstongraham

🖕🏻
    I read RC's emoji as a friendly acknowledgment that I wasn't being serious. So we're all good.

There does seem to be a view among a certain section of the population that we should all get back to normal because we have been vaccinated so why wouldn't we? The decision makers and the people they want to keep happy being in the vaccinated group makes this more influential.

I doubt that decision will have killed thousands, but it can have a lasting effect even on those it doesn't kill. Given that it was inevitable that it would go on the red list, it's another balls up for no valid reason.
  • blazing_saddles
    Assuming the vaccines are as effective combating severe symptoms as reports suggest, is the Indian variation more lethal to younger age groups than the original strain?
  • kingstongraham
    Under new rules for weddings, dancing is no longer forbidden, but dance floors and "other spaces for dancing" must remain closed. Pick the bones out of that.
  • rick_chasey

🖕🏻
    I read RC's emoji as a friendly acknowledgment that I wasn't being serious. So we're all good.
    Good as that was the intention!
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2021

Assuming the vaccines are as effective combating severe symptoms as reports suggest, is the Indian variation more lethal to younger age groups than the original strain?

Not to my knowledge.

Probably exaggerating for effect but it was entirely avoidable and now that it is “jeopardising” the reopening it’s another expensive mistake.

Very happy and glad people are posting the number of deaths the vaccines are saving but let’s not forget how many were saved in lockdown and how many were needlessly lost by bad timing of them.

Govt is a series of big f@ck ups and the two bits they left alone, the vaccine creation and rollout, are the only bits that aren’t total f@ck ups.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Don’t know about lethality but the medical professionals being interviewed seem to be consistent in the view that young people are getting more ill and very quickly with this variant. You’d assume the mortality reflects that too but still proportionately less than in more vulnerable groups.

But the idea that we risk the young who haven’t been at risk until recently simply because us old farts are vaccinated is both predictable and disappointing.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I am mentally preparing myself for a north west regional lockdown. Will be very annoying but seems almost inevitable.
    Only saving grace is that Bolton outbreaks are incredibly localised but that seems unlikely to be a long term position.
    Me and the mrs both get 2nd AZ tomorrow. I’ve caught her up as she had jab 1 2 or 3 weeks earlier than me.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Not to my knowledge.

Probably exaggerating for effect but it was entirely avoidable and now that it is “jeopardising” the reopening it’s another expensive mistake.

Very happy and glad people are posting the number of deaths the vaccines are saving but let’s not forget how many were saved in lockdown and how many were needlessly lost by bad timing of them.

Govt is a series of big f@ck ups and the two bits they left alone, the vaccine creation and rollout, are the only bits that aren’t total f@ck ups.
    I agree with everything except the vaccines. You have to give them credit for giving the job to the right school friend’s wife and then to give her the necessary backing.

Interesting that she stepped down around Xmas time and now we are jabbing at the same rate as Germany.