The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,115
    Second jab now done, like the first, extremely efficiently. The ride home was fun too.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,777
    Looks like jabs work against the Indian variant, so don't anyone hide behind the sofa quite yet :)
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57134181
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    See my post above - the level of vaccination is our best defence against this variant.

New variants are evolving all the time and longer term we can't just shut the borders every time that happens.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,379
    Stevo_666 said:

See my post above - the level of vaccination is our best defence against this variant.

New variants are evolving all the time and longer term we can't just shut the borders every time that happens.
    But we did put India on the red list, just later than Pakistan and Bangladesh. Not actually going to try to defend the timing of that are you?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo_666 said:

New variants are evolving all the time and longer term we can't just hide behind the sofa every time that happens.
    There you go.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

But we did put India on the red list, just later than Pakistan and Bangladesh. Not actually going to try to defend the timing of that are you?
    I'm saying that the timing isn't as important as the knee jerk government bashers are trying to make out, because our vaccination programme is going very well. Note that these people are also trying to make out that the success of said programme is somehow nothing to do with the government. I wonder why?

In any event, do you really think that putting the restrictions in a week or earlier would have stopped this variant entering the UK?
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm saying that the timing isn't as important as the knee jerk government bashers are trying to make out, because our vaccination programme is going very well. Note that these people are also trying to make out that the success of said programme is somehow nothing to do with the government. I wonder why?

In any event, do you really think that putting the restrictions in a week or earlier would have stopped this variant entering the UK?
    It would have greatly reduced the spread of it, so that more people could be vaccinated before they get ill. If it is seeded by 100 people, it makes a big difference to 10,000.

Do you think it's a mistake that India was put on the red list if you think it hasn't made a difference?
  • kingstongraham
    I don't think there should have been an amber list at all though at this point in the vaccination programme. Was asking for this problem.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Your dedication to try to deflect any criticism of any aspect of the government's handling of the pandemic, even after all the evidence of the downsides of delaying important decisions in a pandemic, is quite touching.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

It would have greatly reduced the spread of it, so that more people could be vaccinated before they get ill. If it is seeded by 100 people, it makes a big difference to 10,000.

Do you think it's a mistake that India was put on the red list if you think it hasn't made a difference?
    The vaccine greatly reduces the spread, that is more important in my view.

As with all of these things, hindsight is very useful.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Your dedication to try to deflect any criticism of any aspect of the government's handling of the pandemic, even after all the evidence of the downsides of delaying important decisions in a pandemic, is quite touching.
    Sometimes the debate needs a bit of balance. As you can see, some people are more interested in tory bashing than debating the issues.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Sometimes the debate needs a bit of balance. As you can see, some people are more interested in tory bashing than debating the issues.

You might find that people would find your defence more plausible if occasionally you accepted that the government has not always made the best decisions.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

The vaccine greatly reduces the spread, that is more important in my view.

As with all of these things, hindsight is very useful.
    How is it hindsight when the same was said at the time?

Do you think it's a mistake to put India on the red list, if it doesn't make a difference now everyone important is vaccinated?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,929
    India should have been put on the red list earlier. The vaccines are working. Both are true. Guvmint has done well with one, not so well with the other. Also true.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,736

Stevo_666 said:

Hancock defended it reasonably robustly this morning. India does a lot more testing, so the higher rate of positives didn't necessarily indicate a worse problem. Furthermore, the UK government has analysis of all arrivals and their test results. These indicated more positive cases in arrivals from Pakistan and Bangladesh which is why those countries went on the red list first.
  • TheBigBean

I've no idea if the limiting factor is jab availability or jabbing opportunities now.

It seems that jab take up in Bolton has not been as good as other areas, so I imagine the answer depends on the region.
    Should vaccinate anyone who'll take it asap in those areas with highest infection rates..
    That's the plan. They are going door to door to improve take up rates. They also have the data which shows almost everyone currently in hospital was eligible for a vaccine, but didn't have it. I think 5 have had the vaccine and are still in hospital. One has had both doses, but is very frail.
  • pblakeney
    Not following that. Surely anyone testing positive wouldn’t be allowed to fly? Everyone coming in should either have tested negative or not tested at all.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

Not following that. Surely anyone testing positive wouldn’t be allowed to fly? Everyone coming in should either have tested negative or not tested at all.

Everyone is tested on arrival or at 5 days or something.
  • kingstongraham

Stevo_666 said:

Hancock defended it reasonably robustly this morning. India does a lot more testing, so the higher rate of positives didn't necessarily indicate a worse problem. Furthermore, the UK government has analysis of all arrivals and their test results. These indicated more positive cases in arrivals from Pakistan and Bangladesh which is why those countries went on the red list first.
    I guess he wasn't asked why anyone was allowed in from anywhere without hotel quarantine.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

I’m guessing “something” going on how well T&T is working.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Then there wouldn't be any data available, but there is.
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    edited May 2021
    Deleted as forum functionality sucks
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,960

Stevo_666 said:

This rather at odds to the reporting that states Hancock was apparently pushing BoJo to add India to the red list but BoJo was afraid of offending Modi.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,752

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Then there wouldn't be any data available, but there is.
    There is. Sometime. Eventually. Maybe. World beating. £22bn or £39bn or whatevs, no worries. Dildo Hardon, knight/lady/dame/whatever-hood upcoming and well deserved.
  • kingstongraham

Stevo_666 said:

This rather at odds to the reporting that states Hancock was apparently pushing BoJo to add India to the red list but BoJo was afraid of offending Modi.
    And at odds with the reporting that India had a terrible problem over a week earlier.
  • TheBigBean

Stevo_666 said:

And at odds with the reporting that India had a terrible problem over a week earlier.
    It sounds like the data has been published, so you can analyse it. Marr had no comeback, so had either done too little research or what was said was true. Either is possible.
  • briantrumpet

Stevo_666 said:

It sounds like the data has been published, so you can analyse it. Marr had no comeback, so had either done too little research or what was said was true. Either is possible.

Data that might have been raising alarms from the middle of March:

• kingstongraham

Stevo_666 said:

This was on the 14th, over a week before it was on the red list. Looked pretty bad already:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/14/a-tsunami-of-cases-desperation-as-covid-second-wave-batters-india

Then when it was announced, it was with 4 days notice which does make it more convenient for people who want to come here, but that's kind of missing the point.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,960

F@ck sake.

All because he didn’t want to upset Modi ffs