The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,686

For a point of reference... France has just about got to the number of people who have had at least one vaccination (28%) that the UK had on 25 February.

do you have a comparison for 2nd doses? I am just trying to work out how far ahead we will be once the 10-12 week advantage works it way through.

I was surprised to see on a previous chart that Germany is doing the same number of daily doses as us
    For fully vaccinated, France is where the UK was on 14th April.
    So we won't finish significantly ahead of them but the wider gap between doses looks like saving significant numbers of lives with a corresponding opening up of the economy

Yes, that informed hunch looks like a bit of a masterstroke. Just as well, given the previous carnage.
    I'm still not sure what every other country in the world was thinking. As I posted at the time, the FT couldn't find a single expert who disagreed.

Indeed so... even sticking to it when incoming data was progressively suggesting that the UK approach was paying dividends (still ongoing too).
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

For a point of reference... France has just about got to the number of people who have had at least one vaccination (28%) that the UK had on 25 February.

do you have a comparison for 2nd doses? I am just trying to work out how far ahead we will be once the 10-12 week advantage works it way through.

I was surprised to see on a previous chart that Germany is doing the same number of daily doses as us
    For fully vaccinated, France is where the UK was on 14th April.
    So we won't finish significantly ahead of them but the wider gap between doses looks like saving significant numbers of lives with a corresponding opening up of the economy

Yes, that informed hunch looks like a bit of a masterstroke. Just as well, given the previous carnage.
    I'm still not sure what every other country in the world was thinking. As I posted at the time, the FT couldn't find a single expert who disagreed.
    Liability, not following the instructions on the packet...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    I'm sure there are issues one could pick on with this tweet.... But it feels like an important milestone none the less

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • briantrumpet
    edited May 2021

Until I zoomed around the interactive map, I'd not quite appreciated how splotchy the map is 'up north'. I'd just screencapped around Exeter...

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151

I'm sure there are issues one could pick on with this tweet.... But it feels like an important milestone none the less

Good idea.

Might be a good way of getting a few more people over here to have the jab.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Stevo_666 said:

Good idea.

Or a good reason for everyone who hasn't to pretend they have and stop mask wearing.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151

Stevo_666 said:

Good idea.

Or a good reason for everyone who hasn't to pretend they have and stop mask wearing.
    If you can show you've been vaccinated...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    More evidence that the UK's "We see no reason why these vaccines shouldn't behave like others in respect of the intra-dose interval" was a good call.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/may/14/delay-in-giving-second-jabs-of-pfizer-vaccine-improves-immunity
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,127
    edited May 2021
    Even if it hadn't worked as well, it was still the right call to get the first dose in as many old people as possible as soon as possible.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    Does anybody know the official Govt reason why they did not stop entrants from India much earlier?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,224
    edited May 2021

Does anybody know the official Govt reason why they did not stop entrants from India much earlier?

So Gupta could fly easily between all his homes? Y'know, for all the shredding he needs to do.

Would explain why SA was off the list for so long too. >:)
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Good idea.

If you can show you've been vaccinated...
    This why I had the Bill Gates vaccine.
  • kingstongraham

There isn't one - the red list is "under constant review". It's most unusual for these decisions to be taken much too late, though.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718

Had a look on the BBC Covid checker - local rates seem to be down to between 5 and 20 per 100,000. Then looked at Erewash (between Nottm and Derby) and it's 180 plus, Bolton is nearly 200.

Worrying that we are still getting local outbreaks like that. Hopefully given the vaccination programme we aren't seeing a corresponding level of serious infection amongst the older half of the population.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    I can't see a way they will stop indoor drinking and dining starting on Monday, but am not convinced it's a good idea yet given the demographics of who isn't vaccinated at all and who works in that sector.

(Even though I've got a very nice restaurant booking for two weeks time.)
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834

I suspect it mainly revolved around the plan for Boris to fly to India, supposedly regarding a trade deal, until it was called off very late last month. Our glorious Van De Graff generator lover didn't want to have to quarantine on return.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstongraham

I suspect it mainly revolved around the plan for Boris to fly to India, supposedly regarding a trade deal, until it was called off very late last month. Our glorious Van De Graff generator lover didn't want to have to quarantine on return.
    He could have exempted himself from the requirements (as a Crown servant) even if India was on the red list, but that would have looked bad even for him.
  • First.Aspect
    Are there any stats for relative vaccine uptake in the Indian variant hotspots?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508

Even if it hadn't worked as well, it was still the right call to get the first dose in as many old people as possible as soon as possible.

I don't think that was your initial opinion though.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    I don't know of any but Erewash is a an area of small towns, fairly urban as it's between two cities and some of it is really Nottm suburbia.

Its mostly white middle England I can't see the take up rates being low at all.

Edit - my wife who works in public health locally tells me it's down to an outbreak at one secondary school .
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham

No, took a day or two to be convinced it was right. If we hadn't been in such a terrible state with infections and deaths in January, I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have done it without trialing it.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508

No, took a day or two to be convinced it was right. If we hadn't been in such a terrible state with infections and deaths in January, I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have done it without trialing it.
    I think it was the right approach irrespective of the level of infections, because a low level of infections would have implied that the country was in some sort of economically damaging lockdown.

There was evidence from the trials that the AZ vaccine was more effective with a longer delay, so it was only a gamble, to the extent there was any gambling which is debatable, with Pfizer.

I can't understand why other countries are not doing the same especially given the evidence now available.
  • briantrumpet
    edited May 2021

I don't know of any but Erewash is a an area of small towns, fairly urban as it's between two cities and some of it is really Nottm suburbia.

Its mostly white middle England I can't see the take up rates being low at all.

Edit - my wife who works in public health locally tells me it's down to an outbreak at one secondary school .

And that's why, even in a relatively low-incidence area, I'm still telling pupils to realise that the virus is still around and can spread quickly. It doesn't take long... I've thought all along that schools are the perfect way to spread it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    edited May 2021

Had a look on the BBC Covid checker - local rates seem to be down to between 5 and 20 per 100,000. Then looked at Erewash (between Nottm and Derby) and it's 180 plus, Bolton is nearly 200.

Worrying that we are still getting local outbreaks like that. Hopefully given the vaccination programme we aren't seeing a corresponding level of serious infection amongst the older half of the population.
    I only half heard the report on TV but I think they said that the infection rates in the hotspots are generally among the younger age groups and there didn't seem too much concern that the variant was dodging the vaccine.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

I only half heard the report on TV but I think they said that the infection rates in the hotspots are generally among the younger age groups and there didn't seem too much concern that the variant was dodging the vaccine.
    Not sure about the latter. There were originally 3 variants of interest, one of which is now of concern because it has an advantage over even the Kent variant. Still unknown if it evades vaccines, but I have heard that it does not look good from that perspective, which means possibly infections but not serious symptoms in most vaccinated people.

So, the first test of what levels of a generally but not always mild infection we are willing to live with?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741

Wonder what the odds are I get the first jab before June.

Just had my appointment for my second jab.
    It's for right in the middle of the Giro Queen stage to Cortina, a week on Monday.

It's a very imperfect world, these days.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey

Just had my appointment for my second jab.
    It's for right in the middle of the Giro Queen stage to Cortina, a week on Monday.

It's a very imperfect world, these days.
    My sympathies.
  • rick_chasey

Won’t matter we will be back to normal by Easter 🧐

How old are you?