The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,115

Thanks to a heads-up from a friend, I just cancelled my 2nd jab on 9 June and rebooked for tomorrow at the same centre, a nice 6 mile ride from home. Mind you, it might be piddling down, given the forecast...

Out of curiosity, why did you do that, given that the clinical evidence for the
    COVID-19 AstraZeneca vaccine shows better efficacy following a 12-week gap?
    It is curious that days ago the Govt was singing this song yet now they are sending text messages telling people to cancel their 12 week appointment and get it done ASAP

If they had a history of competence I would be terrified at what they are seeing that has caused them to censored themselves so badly.

My guess is that they are not short of AZ shots or capacity at vaccination centres for the next two or three weeks, and if they can bring those forward from the beginning of June, that creates capacity at that time for whatever opportunities there are then, AZ or otherwise. My other guess is that there isn't much of a difference in overall efficacy between an 8- or 12-week intra-dose interval, and that the incentive of being more fully-protected a few weeks earlier will be enough to get people like me to reschedule.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,380
    The advice should surely change if things are about to be so bad they are rushing the extra doses out to get people double jabbed earlier.

Or they just have loads of az left over because the under 40s are getting the rolls royce jabs, in which case they should explain that.
  • briantrumpet

The advice should surely change if things are about to be so bad they are rushing the extra doses out to get people double jabbed earlier.

Or they just have loads of az left over because the under 40s are getting the rolls royce jabs, in which case they should explain that.

This is one of those instances where I think a 'full explanation' wouldn't necessarily be helpful, especially if it led to any sort of (specific) vaccine hesitancy. Getting as many (whatever) jabs done as quickly as possible has proven its worth. Pretty much everything else is minor detail, and you don't want minor detail blurring the main point.
  • kingstongraham

This is one of those instances where I think a 'full explanation' wouldn't necessarily be helpful, especially if it led to any sort of (specific) vaccine hesitancy. Getting as many (whatever) jabs done as quickly as possible has proven its worth. Pretty much everything else is minor detail, and you don't want minor detail blurring the main point.
    I can't see why it would lead to hesitancy just saying "we have capacity now and there's no big difference between 8 and 11 weeks".

It's already supposed to be wide open for anyone who is going to get an az vaccine to get their first.
  • briantrumpet

I can't see why it would lead to hesitancy just saying "we have capacity now and there's no big difference between 8 and 11 weeks".

It's already supposed to be wide open for anyone who is going to get an az vaccine to get their first.
    True, that's fair enough, just if you go down the "offloading AZ shots because the others are marginally better/safer" route, it won't end well. How these things are messaged is both subtle and crucial, the aim remaining to get as many done asap, whatever the colour & exact timing.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,752
    How does 'subtle messaging' transcribe to 3 word Spaffershite?
  • briantrumpet
    orraloon said:

He might still be stuck on "Wash. Your. Hands."

Makes me wonder if he had mates geared up for producing hand sanitiser.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,914
    orraloon said:

Get. Jabbed. Now.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

This is my point, last week getting as many people vaccinated with one dose was the best idea ever and it was even pondered on here why no other country in the world had analysed our data and followed suit. Now we have abandoned that policy and are pursuing a 2nd dose as soon as possible policy.
  • briantrumpet

This is my point, last week getting as many people vaccinated with one dose was the best idea ever and it was even pondered on here why no other country in the world had analysed our data and followed suit. Now we have abandoned that policy and are pursuing a 2nd dose as soon as possible policy.

I don't think it's a 2nd-dose-asap policy - simply bring forward by two or three weeks those who were due early June, to clear the way for the youngsters such as RC.
  • kingstongraham

I don't think it's a 2nd-dose-asap policy - simply bring forward by two or three weeks those who were due early June, to clear the way for the youngsters such as RC.
    The official line is "to help protect the nation from the variant."
  • briantrumpet

The official line is "to help protect the nation from the variant."

A very good reason. I don't think that undermines my point though, as it's clearing the decks for others, without risking extending the 12-week interval for those who have had one dose. There might be a bit of confusion about the messaging when things are moving fast, but I can't see a problem with the actual decision and implementation... I'll be off their waiting list in a few hours' time.
  • briantrumpet
    In other news, the home test reporting site isn't working today.

• surrey_commuter

Sorry, I am not understanding your explanation or the underlying thinking.

Why are they now prioritising 2nd doses over 1st dose.

Sending text messages on Sunday 16th May to shift somebody forwards from June 1st has a whiff of desperation
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,349

Short term (next month or so) this actually slows down the youngsters first jab though surely?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet

Sending text messages on Sunday 16th May to shift somebody forwards from June 1st has a whiff of desperation

Big supply of AZ now, give it to those who are older, clear the decks of them and make sure of sufficient supplies and lots of capacity for administering Pfizer for the yoof straight after. Why have the oldies clogging up the system in a couple of weeks?

Just guessing, obvs.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,737

1st doses are no longer using AZ vaccine, so giving someone a second dose of AZ two weeks earlier doesn't delay the first doses.

In that case the trade off is slightly lower efficacy against slightly earlier deployment.

Throw in the plan for a September booster which will further increase the efficacy, and the plan looks ok.

Giving Pfizer doses earlier doesn't follow the same logic and is harder to explain, but I don't know how many people that applies to.

There is a rumour in one of the papers that the UK has a decent stockpile and is looking to increase to 800k/day.

• kingstongraham
    I've no idea if the limiting factor is jab availability or jabbing opportunities now.
  • pangolin

I've no idea if the limiting factor is jab availability or jabbing opportunities now.

Yes that is the crux of it really.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    Over 35s to start next week.
  • surrey_commuter

Big supply of AZ now, give it to those who are older, clear the decks of them and make sure of sufficient supplies and lots of capacity for administering Pfizer for the yoof straight after. Why have the oldies clogging up the system in a couple of weeks?

Just guessing, obvs.
    That makes sense if they don’t have enough Pfizer.

M
  • pangolin

Over 35s to start next week.

Excellent news
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean

It seems that jab take up in Bolton has not been as good as other areas, so I imagine the answer depends on the region.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Now double AZ’d. Arm instantly noticed this one.
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2021

It seems that jab take up in Bolton has not been as good as other areas, so I imagine the answer depends on the region.
    Should vaccinate anyone who'll take it asap in those areas with highest infection rates..
  • morstar

Should vaccinate anyone who'll take it asap in those areas with highest infection rates..
    They are doing. This was yesterday.

• kingstongraham
    Cool - good they allowed that. I did read that they has been prevented from doing surge vaccinations.
  • morstar
    Interesting that the jabber said today that all the blood clot deaths were in people with underlying conditions that made them susceptible to clots.

Surprised that hadn’t been reported. I was asked about a long list of specific conditions I had never heard of before being told this and that nobody had died after a second dose. Rendering the questions redundant.
  • kingstongraham
    morstar said:

They are doing. This was yesterday.

That tweet has been deleted because it was not anyone, they are sticking to the eligibility rules.
  • pangolin
    "AstraZeneca under-40s could be reversed to speed up rollout

ReutersCopyright: Reuters

The JCVI will look again at the recommendation that people under 40 should be offered non-AstraZeneca jabs if it means that it could speed up the rollout, member Professor Adam Finn says.

Currently, most under 40s are being offered an alternative to the AZ vaccine due to a link with rare blood clots.

Prof Finn told Sky's Sophy Ridge On Sunday it was "on the agenda and if necessary that's something that could be done".

"When we expressed a preference for non-AstraZeneca vaccines for this age group it was done in a very provisional way on the basis of everything going absolutely right.

"And if the evidence shows that the risk benefit balance for people in their 30s is to be offered that vaccine then absolutely that recommendation will be changed.

"At the moment we don't think that's necessary, but it could well become a recommendation in the future."
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono