The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,943
    edited May 2021

What is currently getting on my radar is that most nations I want to go to will likely require both jabs to have happened to travel which means I will likely miss the summer season entirely.

Were you seriously expecting to go abroad this summer? Even if you'd had both jabs?
    Besides having two jabs, several tests and a spell in isolation, what do you think needs to happen before summer holidays can resume?
    Or don't you think they will return?
    I think you've answered the question with your statement about needing the tests (expensive) and isolation (expensive), plus travel insurance is unlikely to cover you.
    When you won't have to isolate in either direction and the costs of tests becomes negligible then overseas travel will become a realistic option. So when local vaccination programmes have reached appropriate levels, and local case numbers are sufficiently low.
    Is that really likely before the end of August?
    A number of travel firms are prepared to heavily subsidise the cost of the tests. (TUI offering the amber test requirement package for £50) My annual travel insurance now offers Covid cover for countries not on the FOA green list.
    I think it's the required isolation that's the big hurdle.

Now, on the subject of vaccination levels, fanfare please.

</ Welsh>
    A labour government!
    A LABOUR GOVERNMENT!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,930
    Plenty went abroad last summer too! I don't think it's unreasonable to have thought that vaccines, herd immunity and earlier winter lockdowns would have lead to a more normal ish summer.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,337

What I would like to know is of the people who have died with Covid
    What age are they were they vaccinated why have they died. Is the vaccine working or not. This madness needs to end.

That desperately needs punctuation:
    What age are they? were they vaccinated? why have they died? Is the vaccine working or not?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    I think I read that there's no more available to Wales than the rest of the UK, but more of it has got into arms quicker. Better fulfillment of what's been made available by the UK procurement programme.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

I think I read that there's no more available to Wales than the rest of the UK, but more of it has got into arms quicker. Better fulfillment of what's been made available by the UK procurement programme.

Would be interesting to see regional variations within Wales.
    A significant proportion live in a relatively small area.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,847
    Looks like BBC have not mentioned the Welsh/Drakeford reaction to the Indian strain that affects me, namely I now shouldn't be going to stay with my mum and sis next weekend, as "extended households" have been provisionally postponed until 7th June?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • loltoride
    loltoride Posts: 460
    2nd Vac booked 5th June glad now thats out of the way.
    So Far!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,819

Looks like BBC have not mentioned the Welsh/Drakeford reaction to the Indian strain that affects me, namely I now shouldn't be going to stay with my mum and sis next weekend, as "extended households" have been provisionally postponed until 7th June?

What's this then, if not a (panic stricken) reaction to the Indian strain?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-57102249

No leaving Wales this year, which is worse than last year. This despite having already vaccinated almost two thirds of the entire population and having a single figure infection rate. (here currently 1.4/100,000)
    With any luck, next year it will be the Porthcawl mutation, (there are usually a few to be found there during July and August) and he'll be asking us to pile into Cardiff International ghost town to catch non existent planes to anywhere.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

No leaving Wales this year, which is worse than last year. This despite having already vaccinated almost two thirds of the entire population and having a single figure infection rate. (here currently 1.4/100,000)
    With any luck, next year it will be the Porthcawl mutation, (there are usually a few to be found there during July and August) and he'll be asking us to pile into Cardiff International ghost town to catch non existent planes to anywhere.

Will Wales be open to non Welsh this summer?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    edited May 2021

Earlier this week, the BBC article on Welsh changes said extended households could form from Monday 17th May (it had its own "red dot bullet point"), that link you provided (one I read earlier) doesn't appear to state that extended households has now been postponed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/14/wales-delays-further-easing-covid-rules-amid-india-variant-fears link I read earlier alerted me to this crutial change of plan.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstongraham

It says you can leave Wales, but it might not be the best thing to do. Seems fair enough?
  • blazing_saddles

Earlier this week, the BBC article on Welsh changes said extended households could form from Monday 17th May (it had its own "red dot bullet point"), that link you provided (one I read earlier) doesn't appear to state that extended households has now been postponed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/14/wales-delays-further-easing-covid-rules-amid-india-variant-fears link I read earlier alerted me to this crutial change of plan.

I haven’t been more than 20 miles from home in 18 months and I am starting to feel like I am incarcerated in an open prison.

Quickly losing faith in the vaccines too as they seem to have made zero difference to how we deal with Covid.

Can’t see a way out of this to be honest because every mutation is going to set things back again and it’s going to mutate because that’s what virus do.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,318

I haven’t been more than 20 miles from home in 18 months and I am starting to feel like I am incarcerated in an open prison.

Quickly losing faith in the vaccines too as they seem to have made zero difference to how we deal with Covid.

Can’t see a way out of this to be honest because every mutation is going to set things back again and it’s going to mutate because that’s what virus do.
    I sympathise with the sentiment but not going more than 20 miles from home for 18 months is not entirely due to the rules is it?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2021
    pangolin said:

I sympathise with the sentiment but not going more than 20 miles from home for 18 months is not entirely due to the rules is it?
    Actually it mostly is.
    I have had a 5 mile lockdown followed firebreak lockdown, then by a lengthy borough lockdown (don't think you had those in England? ) before going back into the 5 month lockdown we are just coming out of.

There was a brief spell during last Summer but everywhere was packed to the rafters.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    loltoride said:

2nd Vac booked 5th June glad now thats out of the way.

snap

maybe we could go on Rick's holiday for him :)
  • kingstongraham
    Tough call to blame it for December 2019.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,646

My previous PB was 2.7 miles. I think last week I beat this due to one way systems on my bike. I think I made it as far as 3 miles. Strictly speaking, I think I should measure my PB as the crow flies though.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

Actually it mostly is.
    I have had a 5 mile lockdown followed firebreak lockdown, then by a lengthy borough lockdown (don't think you had those in England? ) before going back into the 5 month lockdown we are just coming out of.

There was a brief spell during last Summer but everywhere was packed to the rafters.
    Ah fair enough. No borough or firebreak here, just the various national ones and tiers.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • blazing_saddles

Reading that link NOTG posted, it's best to visit now if you are thinking about it, as potentially Drakeford could well close the door shortly.

The current weather forecast is that it will rain until the last couple of days in May.

• pangolin

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • kingstongraham

My previous PB was 2.7 miles. I think last week I beat this due to one way systems on my bike. I think I made it as far as 3 miles. Strictly speaking, I think I should measure my PB as the crow flies though.
    Is that Sunday to Saturday?
  • surrey_commuter

Ironically my PB is 200 miles to North Wales.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    edited May 2021
    wrong thread
  • TheBigBean

Not sure what you mean. It is distance from home since March last year.
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2021

Not sure what you mean. It is distance from home since March last year.
    Oh, wow.

Ironically, mine is a trip to Wales.
  • TheBigBean
    edited May 2021
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    edited May 2021

My understanding is currently that from Monday, most if not all conventional overnight holiday options are open to anyone going over the Welsh border and for those that live in Wales already.

My problem is I cannot really justify turning a trip to see family in Wales into a holiday, spending ~£40 a night at say a Premier Inn, especially while my better half is feeling too ill with long Covid to travel up with me. Fortunately my work rota gives me a 5-day "long weekend" every four weeks, so the plan is now to visit family and stay in their home in June.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677

What I would like to know is of the people who have died with Covid
    What age are they were they vaccinated why have they died. Is the vaccine working or not. This madness needs to end.

That desperately needs punctuation:
    What age are they? were they vaccinated? why have they died? Is the vaccine working or not?
    Yes , I know.
    Only managed a cse grade 2 in English circa 1978 ,
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Odds on my pre-June jab just got longer
  • surrey_commuter

My understanding is currently that from Monday, most if not all conventional overnight holiday options are open to anyone going over the Welsh border and for those that live in Wales already.

My problem is I cannot really justify turning a trip to see family in Wales into a holiday, spending ~£40 a night at say a Premier Inn, especially while my better half is feeling too ill with long Covid to travel up with me. Fortunately my work rota gives me a 5-day "long weekend" every four weeks, so the plan is now to visit family and stay in their home in June.

can't you stay in their home from Monday?