The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647
    He got a pay rise and a bonus, so the government must be doing something right.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Anyone think Gibraltar is going to have a sudden surge in popularity as a holiday destination this summer? After all how difficult will it be to claim you've been there then slip up the coast to Marbella?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Pross said:

Anyone think Gibraltar is going to have a sudden surge in popularity as a holiday destination this summer? After all how difficult will it be to claim you've been there then slip up the coast to Marbella?

The question was asked this morning and the reply was that certificate checking/testing etc will be in place at the border. Whether that is the case in reality is another matter.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Pross said:

Well TBH Israel is looking less and less tempting at the moment...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    Pross said:

If you're prepared for the hassle of all the testing, why not go to Portugal?
  • TheBigBean
    I'm suffering from serious holiday gloom.
  • Pross

Pross said:

I think there is a particular type of Brit for whom it is Spain or nothing, same resort every year. Then again they would probably just fly to Spain and "isolate at home" on their return although I wouldn't be surprised if Spain is on the green list soon.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647
    Pross said:

Pross said:

I think there is a particular type of Brit for whom it is Spain or nothing, same resort every year. Then again they would probably just fly to Spain and "isolate at home" on their return although I wouldn't be surprised if Spain is on the green list soon.
    There is something to be said for immediately transplanting yourself somewhere warm but familiar. For a short break, anyway. New places are more interesting for sure, but also more tiring.

For me there is a walk we go on, from a pull in half way up Puig Major and if you transplanted me there now with a book, some water and a pack lunch, I'd be a happy man. Better still if there was a table booked for this evening at the restaurant I hope is still there.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

BBC were suggesting last night that the US will have 300 million spare vaccines by early July and were discussing what they should be doing with them.

If I were Biden I’d be looking to use any surplus to first get Canada and Mexico vaccinated (as they’re immediately bordering the US) and then use any remaining for other Latin American countries that need it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Taiwan ;-)
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited May 2021

Considering we are more like an orange in terms of vaccinations compared to other planets, it won't be long before things are looking peachy!
  • TheBigBean
    38/39 booking now open.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Considering we are more like an orange in terms of vaccinations compared to other planets, it won't be long before things are looking peachy!

Why o why is the Oranges section red?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203

What do you think that is a friggin APPLE?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Melons green, apples red, oranges orange. Surely?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    I don't get the point of a negative test being used to prove anything unless it is taken by someone else. Otherwise, you can just sample your tongue and be sure to get a negative result.
  • Pross

I don't get the point of a negative test being used to prove anything unless it is taken by someone else. Otherwise, you can just sample your tongue and be sure to get a negative result.

Yep, even trying to do it properly I wasn't convinced I'd have get a correct result.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,927

(Bio) security theatre?

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

Taiwan ;-)

Sorry, I don’t understand your point.
  • rick_chasey
    It’s a big flashpoint between China and the US.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,936
    For a point of reference... France has just about got to the number of people who have had at least one vaccination (28%) that the UK had on 25 February.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

For a point of reference... France has just about got to the number of people who have had at least one vaccination (28%) that the UK had on 25 February.

do you have a comparison for 2nd doses? I am just trying to work out how far ahead we will be once the 10-12 week advantage works it way through.

I was surprised to see on a previous chart that Germany is doing the same number of daily doses as us
  • briantrumpet

do you have a comparison for 2nd doses? I am just trying to work out how far ahead we will be once the 10-12 week advantage works it way through.

I was surprised to see on a previous chart that Germany is doing the same number of daily doses as us
    UK were at 12.5% fully vaccinated (France's current figure) almost exactly a month ago. Currently stands at UK 27% fully vaccinated.

All here... https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths?country=~USA~GBR~DEU~FRA~ITA
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,273

For fully vaccinated, France is where the UK was on 14th April.
  • surrey_commuter

So we won't finish significantly ahead of them but the wider gap between doses looks like saving significant numbers of lives with a corresponding opening up of the economy
  • briantrumpet

So we won't finish significantly ahead of them but the wider gap between doses looks like saving significant numbers of lives with a corresponding opening up of the economy

Yes, that informed hunch looks like a bit of a masterstroke. Just as well, given the previous carnage.
  • rick_chasey
    Wonder what the odds are I get the first jab before June.
  • surrey_commuter

Wonder what the odds are I get the first jab before June.

Won’t matter we will be back to normal by Easter 🧐

How old are you?
  • TheBigBean

Yes, that informed hunch looks like a bit of a masterstroke. Just as well, given the previous carnage.
    I'm still not sure what every other country in the world was thinking. As I posted at the time, the FT couldn't find a single expert who disagreed.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I think I'm in the next batch...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver