So who now for the Yellow Jersey ?

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Regarding Martin, while all of that is true, he loses time and then pops off for stages. He is a decent 1 day racer, but really not a GC threat. I'd rate his GC results below Kwiatkowski's.

Martin would be a lot closer if he didn't deliberately lose time though. In a GC contest where a gap didn't open up he might be capable of hanging in there. Feels like an outside shot at best, although one I'd enjoy seeing.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    If you're genuinely in it, you wouldn't deliberately lose time. :wink:

Maybe Valverde is good odds for either podium or the win?!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Maybe Valverde is good odds for either podium or the win?!
    Too much racing over 2000m for him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    Shame really. Would be an amazing cap to his career. First the WC win that evaded him for so long and then the Tour. Only chance would really have been for Thomas and Dumoulin to not ride and then maybe.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Is Dumoulin fit though - I thought he was still having trouble with his knee ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737

Correct, though there are conflicting reports.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah, they had to take a lump of gravel out of dumoulin's knee just the other day, and he sacked off his altitude training this week.

He's not likely to win anything in France unfortunately.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Re Tom D, it kinda depends, even out of form he might stand a chance against some of the contenders that are still left. Though perhaps more podium than win.

I wonder if any of the guys who were scared off the tour thinking it was Froome's to loose and instead targetted the Giro are kicking themselves.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    edited June 2019
    until you cross the finish line in Paris really all bets are off. froome went early in 2014, Valverde in the prologue 2017, Nibali partway last year. maybe this is Quintanas time? But let''s say it's Geraints to lose.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592

Correct, though there are conflicting reports.

Maybe he's bluffing like a goodun - is he definitely still taking part?
    If there was any doubt re his participation, I wonder if he\Sunweb might now risk\chance it due to the defrooming element.

I'd be amazed if Quintana could pull it out of the bag.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • The fire for TJvG is beginning to build - I could see him getting in that top 6 position and then maybe striking lucky**

I think his form this year is good and his tt in the Dauphine was 'special' . If he establishes as leader he's got some good pulling power in Uran and Woods . Uran will start as leader but think he will suffer at some point.

I'm beginning to believe ....a little bit

**( or nosediving to 12th GC :x )
  • rick_chasey
    The fire for TJvG is beginning to build - I could see him getting in that top 6 position and then maybe striking lucky**

I think his form this year is good and his tt in the Dauphine was 'special' . If he establishes as leader he's got some good pulling power in Uran and Woods . Uran will start as leader but think he will suffer at some point.

He's always good in the Dauphine.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Bernal?
  • The fire for TJvG is beginning to build - I could see him getting in that top 6 position and then maybe striking lucky**

He's always good in the Dauphine.

He has hardly ever ridden it - going for Swiss if he can

Last time he rode the Dauphine in 2015 he was second to Froome - only 10 seconds down and was the only rider near him on Mont Blanc

That Tour (2015) he had to abandon on stage 17 but was lying 3rd GC overall and was always in the front group - Contador Froome etc

Two 5th place on GC to date - but yes that was a while ago

I tell you - he's got what it takes - and seems to be on the second build of his career (age 30)

It could just come together?
  • rick_chasey
    Porte is more likely IMO.
  • Porte is more likely IMO.

Yes maybe - but at 34 for him I think everything has to be aligned just right - I think he is getting weaker at responding to attacks and he's had a slightly lacklustre build up. I wonder h ow Baukey Mollema will recover from the Giro - he had good form - is he just going to slog for Porte ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I think Woods will emerge as EF's leader. He's been pretty consistent these last couple of years.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I think Woods will emerge as EF's leader. He's been pretty consistent these last couple of years.

I think he's generally a top 15 GT rider at best - couldn't see him battling at top 5 - he did well to hold his position in that Vuelta but he wasn't going any higher
  • m.r.m.
    The fire for TJvG is beginning to build - I could see him getting in that top 6 position and then maybe striking lucky**

Only counts if you pick him for PTP! :P
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Why has no-one mentioned Enric Mas?

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266

Good question. 2nd in the Vuelta, but not been on the same form so far this year. 22/1 with William Hill.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Regarding Martin, while all of that is true, he loses time and then pops off for stages. He is a decent 1 day racer, but really not a GC threat. I'd rate his GC results below Kwiatkowski's.

Martin would be a lot closer if he didn't deliberately lose time though. In a GC contest where a gap didn't open up he might be capable of hanging in there. Feels like an outside shot at best, although one I'd enjoy seeing.

His last 3 TdF's he's made top ten, but not the podium. That's not losing time deliberately.

For all Martin's racing nous, he's only ever won a single major stage race - Catalunya in 2013, and he's never made a podium in a GT.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Dan Martin is as prone to having a sit down mid stage as G is he not? Never had him down as a GC man
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Dan Martin is as prone to having a sit down mid stage as G is he not? Never had him down as a GC man

Well, in fairness, plenty didn't have G down as a GC man...
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    ShutupJens wrote:

Australian speed bumps tend to have that effect on most people.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    M.R.M. wrote:

His last 3 TdF's he's made top ten, but not the podium. That's not losing time deliberately.

For all Martin's racing nous, he's only ever won a single major stage race - Catalunya in 2013, and he's never made a podium in a GT.

A rider whose fans want him to stage hunt and whose employer wants him in the top ten.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    M.R.M. wrote:

Looking at the time gaps of 9 minutes, 4 minutes and 7 minutes in those Tours, he's actually closer than memory suggests, and yeah, maybe not losing as much time as I'd thought. If every dog has its day...
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    I'm terms of support, isn't he likely to have not a lot?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    DeadCalm wrote:

Smaller teams and the odd accident or withdrawal here and there might mean that’s not the issue it was.

At least I hope that’s the case.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    DeadCalm wrote:

Smaller teams and the odd accident or withdrawal here and there might mean that’s not the issue it was.

At least I hope that’s the case.

Like Roglic at the Giro you mean?