Disc brakes in the Pro ranks.

Comments

• gotwood25 wrote:
    Surely Doull knows whether he slid across a barrier or whether he slid into Kittel's wheel. The fact he is so vocal about it on social media to me suggests it was the latter.

Either way, this is it for discs in the pro peloton... at least in current guise, it was a good couple of months.

Well, of course he is vocal. He wants to screw the other team.

How are the other team going to get 'screwed'? By having their free bikes with disc wheels replaced by free bikes without?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Trouble is that so many riders are obviously biased either in favour or (more often) dead set against the adoption of discs that they would seize on the opportunity to support their view if one presents itself, potentially even by telling a lie. Not saying he is but there is motivation to do so which puts a shadow of doubt on things.

Not helped by the fact that the last BIG scare about discs was obviously untrue and would have to have defied the laws of physics to happen. This one is credible but only in specific circumstances and there could be other possibilities which we cannot definitively discount.
  • gotwood25 wrote:
    gotwood25 wrote:
    Surely Doull knows whether he slid across a barrier or whether he slid into Kittel's wheel. The fact he is so vocal about it on social media to me suggests it was the latter.

Either way, this is it for discs in the pro peloton... at least in current guise, it was a good couple of months.

Well, of course he is vocal. He wants to screw the other team.

How are the other team going to get 'screwed'? By having their free bikes with disc wheels replaced by free bikes without?

Because Kittel is getting plenty of publicity because he's been winning on a disc bike. His sponsors will be very happy. Stick him on the same old bike as everyone else is riding and that goes away.

There's no way that damage to that shoe is caused by a disc.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I just had a go at getting my shoe in the position it would need to be relative to the disc for it to be cut where Doull's is cut. And it is possible....

...provided my foot isn't in the shoe - else my leg would need to be through the wheel.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    it would definitely benefit Sky and Pinarello if it was a disc that did it ... Just saying
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Lol at the armchair warriors who know far more about this incident than the guy who was actually involved. :lol:

Why do you care anyway? The big bike companies aren't going to abandon bikes with disks now even if the UCI ban them from bunch races.
  • apreading
    Actually, if you read the quotes from Doull here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/doull-c ... ign=buffer
    "My shoe was cut to pieces. That’s definitely a disc brake that has done that,” said Doull.

"It’s gone straight through the shoe into my foot. It’s lucky that’s not my leg to be honest. If anything I’ve come off lucky there, if that’d been my leg it would have cut straight through it, for sure. You’ve seen my shoe – it’s gone straight through that."

"Nothing else could cut like that, it’s like a knife, it cut straight through it. You can see that thin line, it’s exactly in line, cut there and cut there on my shoe and both straight through in an arrow-straight line."

He doesnt say he hit the disc - he is assuming that is what happened based on inspecting the damage and saying that is his 'guess' (for want of a better word)
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Can he confirm it cut straight through?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I really don't understand the rabid defence of disc brakes in the peloton. It doesn't affect 99% of us here.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    I really don't understand the rabid defence of disc brakes in the peloton. It doesn't affect 99% of us here.

Just calling BS on his claims and the hysteria surrounding the danger of discs. Don't give a stuff what the pros ride
  • fat daddy
    Ben6899 wrote:

indirectly, if the peleton caught up with the times then the price of components would come down :D
  • apreading
    I think the rabid defence is the result of the rabid fight against them by those with the opposite bias.

Flamed by the previous incident which I am 100% certain was not caused by the discs in the way described but the rider insisted it was - either because he was mistaken or because he used the situation to lie and further his own agenda.

This case is more believable but we need to be careful not to jump to conclusions because there is doubt about either conclusion. And the rider himself does not seem to know if he hit a disc - he is at best assuming this from looking at the damage.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Ben6899 wrote:

Just calling BS on his claims and the hysteria surrounding the danger of discs. Don't give a stuff what the pros ride

Why the hell would Doull, make this up, seriously get over yourself, just because you have discs, you don't need to try justify them to us!

Adam Hansen on twitter:

https://twitter.com/HansenAdam/status/8 ... 3654010881
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    apreading wrote:
    I think the rabid defence is the result of the rabid fight against them by those with the opposite bias.

Flamed by the previous incident which I am 100% certain was not caused by the discs in the way described but the rider insisted it was - either because he was mistaken or because he used the situation to lie and further his own agenda.

This case is more believable but we need to be careful not to jump to conclusions because there is doubt about either conclusion. And the rider himself does not seem to know if he hit a disc - he is at best assuming this from looking at the damage.

Live and let live. If I want to ride rim brakes, I will. If I want to ride disc brakes, I will. No amount of extrapolation from Team Sky or A Another is going to change my mind on that.

fat daddy wrote:
    indirectly, if the peloton caught up with the times then the price of components would come down :D

Trickle down cost-savings from Pro take-up of technology is negligible really. Especially now we're leaving the EU. :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Confirmation bias, innit.
  • apreading wrote:

What are you talking about? What possible agenda could Ventoso have against disc brakes? Especially considering he rides Canyon's who are have been pushing discs on their elite bikes for a while now.
  • apreading
    apreading wrote:

What are you talking about? What possible agenda could Ventoso have against disc brakes? Especially considering he rides Canyon's who are have been pushing discs on their elite bikes for a while now.

There is no way that Ventoso could have sustained that injury in the way he said - it is against the laws of physics. To cut his left knee without the bike he hit going down, he would have had to be straddling the rear wheel of that bike. The disc is on the wrong side of the bike for it to be possible. Plus all the riders on discs said they didnt have any incidents on that sector. If we give him the benefit of the doubt, at best maybe he THINKS it was a disc but if so he is definately mistaken.

Many of the riders were rallying against discs before that incident so its not beyond the wit of man to imagine one of them that had sustained an injury looking like that would seek to use it to further their own agenda.
  • Flasher wrote:
    Why the hell would Doull, make this up, seriously get over yourself, just because you have discs, you don't need to try justify them to us!

I seriously don't care less what anybody else rides. I have a rim-braked Foil and both of my sons ride with rim brakes. It has nothing to do with it. There is just sooo much BS spouted on here about disc brakes - mostly by people who don't have them.

And of course pretty much every professional sportsman will try to unsettle his opponents or get an advantage in any way he can. This is pro cycling, FFS, potentially one of the most cheat-ridden professional sports there is (measured by bans of race winners). That's why Doull would do it.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Another thread descends... :roll:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • whatleytom
    whatleytom Posts: 547
    edited February 2017
    Lol Kittel was on a rim brake bike, unless he was given a fresh one to cross the line on.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Another thread descends... :roll:

And I wasn't involved! :lol:
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    whatleytom wrote:
    Lol Kittel was on a rim brake bike, unless he was given a fresh one to cross the line on.

If you watched the race there were plenty of times to see that he was quite clearly on discs.
  • Flasher wrote:

I seriously don't care less what anybody else rides. I have a rim-braked Foil and both of my sons ride with rim brakes. It has nothing to do with it. There is just sooo much BS spouted on here about disc brakes - mostly by people who don't have them.

And of course pretty much every professional sportsman will try to unsettle his opponents or get an advantage in any way he can. This is pro cycling, FFS, potentially one of the most cheat-ridden professional sports there is (measured by bans of race winners). That's why Doull would do it.

Haha, this is the most mental post on Bike Radar yet.
  • fat daddy
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Trickle down cost-savings from Pro take-up of technology is negligible really. Especially now we're leaving the EU. :D

boo, I want cheap hydraulic brakes ... and I want them NOW ! ... and I want them in 11 speed ... or 10
  • smoggysteve
    fat daddy wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

boo, I want cheap hydraulic brakes ... and I want them NOW ! ... and I want them in 11 speed ... or 10

I support you in your quest. Just don't you dare angrily rant that someone you don't even know isn't allowed them for reasons that in no way effect you or anyone else you know.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Why don't we just have a poll as to whether they should be allowed in pro races. And then the losing side will have to adopt the views of the winners. They will have to accept the result and move on, it will be the will of the people.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Why don't we just have a poll as to whether they should be allowed in pro races. And then the losing side will have to adopt the views of the winners. They will have to accept the result and move on, it will be the will of the people.

What - Brakes-It means Brakes-It? :D
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    theres some funny guys inventing excuses like cables, barriers, etc

even if you slice with a knife at 50km through that shoe letter you can't make that cut ... you need rotation also

this is 10000000% a disc brake in action and all the excusers should pay when the first carrer ending pro by disc brake sinjury will sue UCI and the team using them. After today it's clear that disc brakes are dangerous, 2nd occurance is criminal neglicence.
  • If only there was a pro cyclists union, maybe call it the CPA, that could raise this to the UCI and take action if they weren't listened to :-) Or maybe they'll just do what they are told and it'll be a non-issue.
  • smoggysteve
    RichN95 wrote:

What - Brakes-It means Brakes-It? :D

No. Cos in 3 months time Tony Blair will campaign to have the decision overturned