Disc brakes in the Pro ranks.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Perhaps that's because we will discover that the pro-rim side just lied about the killer discs taking over
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I think they should ban disc brakes and rim brakes just to stop everyone whingeing so much.

Everyone on hub brakes like a Dutch shopper I reckon - backpedal down the Alpe to slow down?
  • fat daddy
    Or fixes .... track bike guys and girls don't need any brakes
  • What's wrong with shoe soles? The riders could have their mums line up and slap their legs for ruining their best shoes (maybe that's what Doull was worried about...)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • What we have learned is that neither metal barriers nor Team Sky bibs make especially good brakes
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Like a number of others I'm a little cynical that it was a disk.

But mainly in a sport where the probability of a high speed crash in a bunch, plus fairly unforgiving road. Where the possibility of a life ending let alone just life changing injury is present. To worry about that disks may or may not cut seems to be ingoring a entire herd of elephants in the room frankly!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The reasons why disc brakes are dangerous.

1. Sharp
    2. Hugely better than rim brakes, so if you're on rims behind someone who stops suddenly with discs, bang!
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    Joelsim wrote:

1. Sharp
    2. Hugely better than rim brakes, so if you're on rims behind someone who stops suddenly with discs, bang!
    Utter gash
  • The inescapable truth here is that to keep that momentum going to get that sort of cut, that deep, over that area is clear evidence of a motor......... ;)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • joelsim
    tonyf34 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

1. Sharp
    Utter gash

We'll have to agree to disagree.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Joelsim wrote:
    tonyf34 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

1. Sharp
    Utter gash

The thing that gets me is that the same argument is used by people who also argue that disc brakes are no better because rim brakes can brake beyond the limit of the tyres anyway... You cant have it both ways!
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Joelsim wrote:
    tonyf34 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

1. Sharp
    Utter gash

Brakes stop the wheel. Tyres stop the bike.

Lock up and you're still going down.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Gweeds wrote:
    Brakes stop the wheel. Tyres stop the bike.

and load stops the tyre. The stuff above is meaningless without load. But that would be confusing the whole debate. Maybe Doull had a point using his @rse to stop.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Easy fix, steel toe cap footwear.

C5X78a3WEAII194?format=jpg&name=large
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I can't see that being a disc.

I'm not expert though, but it looks like trying to back into an answer
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • joelsim
    I blame foriners.

Are Owen was knocked off and cut on the foot by a immagrunt.
  • gweeds
    Farage will put a stop to this.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    What's needed is a wall to keep them foreign discs out.
  • apreading
    Yeah - I have just been watching that video in better definition - I think Kittel is third away from the side of the road, almost avoids the crash but something clips his front wheel after Doull and another rider have been thrown into the barriers on the left, well clear of Kittle. One of the other riders in the crash clips Kittels wheel sending him over the bars to faceplant, with the bike and Kittel being thrown furthest down the road, well clear of everyone else. His discs never went near the other riders during the crash and Doull didnt slide down the road far enough to have hit the bike afterwards. I am now 99.9999% sure that this was not the discs and that Doull didnt come into contact with him at all.

I note another quote from Doull here: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/rac ... ash-314710
    It wasn’t until I got back here [the team car] and it looked at it and we said, it has to be that [a disc].

Again - he has GUESSED at the cause, he doesnt know. And I am pretty sure he is wrong.
  • gweeds
    Sigh...

Any accident where there's any cut is going straight to the 'discs done it'
  • apreading
    edited February 2017
    Just watching it again with my son - we are clear that there was a rider on the left near the barrier, then Doull, then Kittel. Doull and the man on the left collide and fall off the road into the barriers on the left. Kittel swerves slightly to the right, away from them, and hits another rider (who doesnt come off) then goes over the bars and faceplants well down the road from where Doull stops. This is just bu****it.
  • gweeds
    So Doull doesn't actually hit Kittel at all. Or indeed a rider with discs.
  • fat daddy
    Gweeds wrote:
    So Doull doesn't actually hit Kittel at all. Or indeed a rider with discs.

If sky's major sponsor say it was disc brakes then it was disc brakes !
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Gweeds wrote:
    Sigh...

Any accident where there's any cut is going straight to the 'discs done it'
    Like the last two at PR (Ventoso who since issued a totally teste-pouch licking statement that he'd happily ride discs, and yer bloke from Quickstep)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • So given the evidence looks pretty strong that the disc wasn't close to Doull and the barrier looks most likely to be the culprit, I'd ask the same question of those that asked the question before: Why did Doull blame the disc?

And are we going to ban metal barriers?
  • gweeds
    Default reaction is my guess.
  • Why did Doull blame the disc?
    Let’s hear your theory first.
  • apreading
    I think, in this case, Doull quite possibly just jumped to conclusions.

Ventoso plain lied.