Disc brakes in the Pro ranks.

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    A shoe!
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Anyone seen the photo's of Doull after crashing today?

Shoe sliced open after contact with Disc brake, believe it was maybe Kittel's

Pictures in the tiny tours thread
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Enough in those pics to suggest there's significant risk of injury from them in a crash :shock:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Enough in those pics to suggest there's significant risk of injury from them in a crash :shock:

Absolutely. Obviously my concern wasn't about a shoe. If it can slice through a show, what will it do to skin?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Absolutely. Obviously my concern wasn't about a shoe. If it can slice through a show, what will it do to skin?

The same as a chainring or a cassette?

I have my doubts about Doull's claim, what's the big brown mark across the centre of the shoe from, between the two cuts? A disc wouldn't leave that.
  • It looks legit but I just can't comprehend the mechanism of that. It's like a buzzsaw moving up the shoe!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • andyp wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

I have my doubts about Doull's claim, what's the big brown mark across the centre of the shoe from, between the two cuts? A disc wouldn't leave that.

I am guessing that is the bit that was dragged along the floor?
  • gweeds
    C5Wqe2wWcAE1Avt?format=jpg&name=large

C5Wqe2yWYAESOLk?format=jpg&name=large

C5Wqe2xWYAAzB48?format=jpg&name=large

Might as well have the pics in here. My guess is that brown mark is dried blood.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Line seems to continue up his shin as well. Weird.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • andyp wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Not the same as a chain ring. Brown mark could be burn from heat of disc, or it could have taken the ground.

explain how tarmac slices shoe like that
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    rip disc brakes

they will probably be completely banned in the next 48 hours

and rightfully so , a completely useles but extremely dangerous thing
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    It's amazing that nobody has thought of something to render them useless as a weapon, say something along the lines of a disc cover......
  • gweeds
    Tyre mark up the shin??
  • Loving the hysteria. That cut in the shoe was never done by a disc. The brown marks are also certainly not burns either.

Ban them! Ban them!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    andyp wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Having never been in a pile-up, I don't speak with any authority; but is it possible that the chanrings and cassette would stop rotating in a crash quickly whereas the wheels might continue for a bit longer?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • andyp
    andyp wrote:

Not the same as a chain ring. Brown mark could be burn from heat of disc, or it could have taken the ground.

explain how tarmac slices shoe like that

Who said it was tarmac?

It's not a burn, because leather wouldn't go that colour when burnt, plus I doubt Kittel had touched his brakes much in the previous 100 kms, so I doubt the rotor was hot. Clearly Doull's had something come into contact with his leg and foot, but it seems odd, to me at least, that the cut stops pretty much where the brown skid like abrasion is, then restarts again and that the width of the abrasion is much wider than a disc or anything else that is around a disc on a wheel, other than a tyre.
  • gweeds
    Yes - freewheels will do that sometimes.
  • andyp
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Having never been in a pile-up, I don't speak with any authority; but is it possible that the chanrings and cassette would stop rotating in a crash quickly whereas the wheels might continue for a bit longer?

The cassette is attached to the opposite side of the hub to the disc, so it'll spin as long as the disc spins.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The mark in between the cuts looks like some blood came out and was smudged by someone wiping it?
  • apreading
    andyp wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

The cassette is attached to the opposite side of the hub to the disc, so it'll spin as long as the disc spins.

No - the freewheel means that the cassette doesnt keep spinning as long as the wheel does. The disc will always spin with the speed of the wheel. The Cassette will spin at the speed the rider is pedalling.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

They would. But, a quick/hard impact with a cassette (with the effect of a serrated edge) would still slice through leather, spinning or not. I'd not expect it to be so clean with a cassette though, or a single slice.

You'll never know for certain that it was the disc, could easily be some debris stuck in a tyre for eg. But look at Doull's injuries and the cuts look (to me at least) about the same width of that of a disc.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    apreading wrote:

Thanks for that...

Looks like a Movistar rider hits the barriers and Doull goes into him and the barrier... Kittel seems to get caught in the fall out... but not sure he goes near Doull...

Don't think Movistar were riding discs...
  • apreading wrote:

Having looked at that, it appears that it is Doull and Kittel rubbing shoulders which causes the crash- with Doull being on the left of Kittel. The only way I can see the disc causing damage to Doull's left shoe is when he appears to spin round just before he hits the deck- it could possibly be that his left shoe actually strikes the front of Kittel's front disc, which then sends the German catapulting over the bars.
  • apreading
    If a slice like this were caused by the disc, it would not be by just striking the disc, it would have to be held against the disc while it continues to rotate and actually for the part being held against the disc to move from front to back of foot or vice versa.

A simple strike and release would not gouge deeply like that and the 'cut' is too long to be from a single contact - it had to be sustained contact with the point of contact gradually moving along the foot.
  • apreading
    Note - I am not saying it wasnt the disc and can see how that might be an obvious conclusion. But it would be a complex circumstance and I cant rule out that there wasnt something sharp sticking out of the barriers that maybe he slid along?

I wish there was closer video for inspection - it would be nice to be certain either way.
  • If you look at the way the cut at the top of the shoe ends and then the surface of the shoe, there's no way that's been done by a disc. My money would be on part of the barrier.

When I read that his shoe had been cut by a disc, I had a clear idea of what it would look like. Then I saw the pictures. That the sort of cut to a shoe you'd get from something spiky. I also think it would be difficult to get a shoe far enough into a wheel.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The funny thing for me is that Doull is missing skin for a large patch of his @rse, some of his shoulder and he's hit a steel barrier at 35mph +/- and there's a call to ban discs because he's got a tiny cut on his foot that almost certainly wasn't caused by a disc. Hysteria? Prejudice? You bet!
  • Surely Doull knows whether he slid across a barrier or whether he slid into Kittel's wheel. The fact he is so vocal about it on social media to me suggests it was the latter.

Either way, this is it for discs in the pro peloton... at least in current guise, it was a good couple of months.
  • gotwood25 wrote:
    Surely Doull knows whether he slid across a barrier or whether he slid into Kittel's wheel. The fact he is so vocal about it on social media to me suggests it was the latter.

Either way, this is it for discs in the pro peloton... at least in current guise, it was a good couple of months.

Well, of course he is vocal. He wants to screw the other team.