Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,523
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

The above is why it's maybe not such a bad move.

Do you think she'll ever do the job?
    I'm not entirely sure it matters?

If the Conservatives kick up a fuss about the report being a stitch up...it's a really pathetic look. I think given the toothless nature of the report, they would do well to keep quiet.

It might play well to their base, but they really need to start growing the base quickly.
    I could not think less of the Boris or his supporters but this makes me question Starmer's judgement
    It is a bit naiveof him isn't it.
    It got Johnson and his lying & lawbreaking back in the headlines.
    So what? That's not the point and Johnson isn't front bench any more.
    He'd clearly like to be and lots of his colleagues clearly agree. And getting it into the news only reminds everyone about last year, which helps Starmer. As posted above, she's that good that any minister or shadow cabinet would want to hire her. Badenoch was trying to hire her on Gove's recommendation but Simon Case blocked it. Sunak didn't intervene and now they've lost her from the Civil Service altogether, which is a bit of a f***-up.
    The main point of debate is about Starmers judgment, not about Boris. I think Brian let his rabid anti Boris feelings take him off on a tangent.

Yes, apologies for hating the lazy, unprincipled, law-breaking liar, but it wasn't a tangent: in one fell swoop he's got himself a CoS who, according to Tories (well, untill yesterday) is an extremely capable and principled woman, and at the same time brought Johnson's serial lying and law-breaking back into the headlines. Savvy, rather than naïve, I'd say.
    I rest my case about your rabid feelings.

Getting back on topic, what do you think about Strmers judgment in this case?

Just glad you keep on bringing up Johnson (you don't have to make a case, as I happily admit it), as he's turned into one of Starmer's electoral assets, and it gives me another chance to mention his failings (and by extension, those of the Tory Party that so loved him). Starmer doesn't have to do much whilst Oakeshott is exposing the shambles there (in the name of anti-lockdown campaigning) and keeping all the old wounds festering in public view.

But Gray looks like a canny appointment, and for once, I agree with the Express on that front.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

If the Conservatives kick up a fuss about the report being a stitch up...it's a really pathetic look. I think given the toothless nature of the report, they would do well to keep quiet.

It might play well to their base, but they really need to start growing the base quickly.
    I could not think less of the Boris or his supporters but this makes me question Starmer's judgement
    It is a bit naiveof him isn't it.
    It got Johnson and his lying & lawbreaking back in the headlines.
    So what? That's not the point and Johnson isn't front bench any more.
    He'd clearly like to be and lots of his colleagues clearly agree. And getting it into the news only reminds everyone about last year, which helps Starmer. As posted above, she's that good that any minister or shadow cabinet would want to hire her. Badenoch was trying to hire her on Gove's recommendation but Simon Case blocked it. Sunak didn't intervene and now they've lost her from the Civil Service altogether, which is a bit of a f***-up.
    The main point of debate is about Starmers judgment, not about Boris. I think Brian let his rabid anti Boris feelings take him off on a tangent.
    If you say so. I think Starmer's capitalised on the situation. She would have very likely been working for him anyway in a few months time. Now Johnson is all over the front pages again just when Sunak had something positive to talk about.
    If you say so. I'm not sure that making a major appointment which calls into question your judgment was done mainly because it was thought to be a good day to bury good news.
    I don't think it does call his judgement into question. The only people pushing the deluded conspiracy angle are a handful of diehard Johnson loyalists who spend more time on niche TV channels than they do in Parliament. Johnson literally asked for Gray to produce the report and accepted its findings. A year after she was appointed she's looking for a new job. Where's the conflict of interest?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    morstar said:

Given that you seem to be capable at your job based on what you say Stevo…

Has your political opinion ever stopped you being capable?

It's not about her capability, or mine. It's about how it might be perceived given her role in the 'Partygate' investigation. As I'm sure you're aware, the optics can be important in politics.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

It's not about her capability, or mine. It's about how it might be perceived given her role in the 'Partygate' investigation. As I'm sure you're aware, the optics can be important in politics.
    Are you suggesting that in retrospect she seemed unduly harsh on Boris in some way in that investigation?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Are you suggesting that in retrospect she seemed unduly harsh on Boris in some way in that investigation?
    I'm not expressing a view on that, just talking about how others might perceive the appointment. You did ask above why Starmer did this, so what are your concerns here?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

But given that civil servants have to work under the government of the day regardless of colour, they are generally people capable of working with a high degree of objectivity.

They will all have their own political views. Providing they do not evidently impact their ability to do their job, they are irrelevant.

She is leaving and can take any position she likes, the burden of proof lies with any complainant to prove her findings were not objective while carrying out her role in the enquiry.

Optics have limited importance. You want them to be good but sometimes you accept they won’t necessarily be as you can’t keep everybody happy. A strong recruit trumps a bit of moaning from the opposite party. Especially one that has trashed standards of behaviour at every opportunity.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

Can someone please explain why this makes people question his judgment as I really don’t understand.
  • Stevo_666

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

Can someone please explain why this makes people question his judgment as I really don’t understand.
    Read the posts above. Or DYOR.
  • Stevo_666
    morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

But given that civil servants have to work under the government of the day regardless of colour, they are generally people capable of working with a high degree of objectivity.

They will all have their own political views. Providing they do not evidently impact their ability to do their job, they are irrelevant.

She is leaving and can take any position she likes, the burden of proof lies with any complainant to prove her findings were not objective while carrying out her role in the enquiry.

Optics have limited importance. You want them to be good but sometimes you accept they won’t necessarily be as you can’t keep everybody happy. A strong recruit trumps a bit of moaning from the opposite party. Especially one that has trashed standards of behaviour at every opportunity.
    So why the big stir in the media if optics aren't important?
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

So why the big stir in the media if optics aren't important?

Because they've got papers to sell. The only people who are pushing the 'optics' here are the likes of Johnson, Dorries and Rees Mogg. I suspect that Sunak would like them to shut up and go away, as it's only dragging Tories generally back in to the mire which I suspect they'd hoped they'd escaped.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

No one has explained it on the thread and I’ve read up on it and I can only see it making his judgement better?

I genuinely can’t see it.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

I'm not expressing a view on that, just talking about how others might perceive the appointment. You did ask above why Starmer did this, so what are your concerns here?
    So you're worried about what stupid people might think?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

No one has explained it on the thread and I’ve read up on it and I can only see it making his judgement better?

It's conspiracy theory stuff, that Gray is some leftie mole. GB News actually took down tweets suggesting as much.

• rick_chasey
    They’re always taking civil servants off each other. Johnson did it, Cameron did it.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

No more than I worry about what what condescending people think. Why do you think I am worrying?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    I don't see the big deal to be honest.

If the argument is that her report was biased, why did Boris claim it exonerated him, and do you want a fresh investigation?

If the argument is that she has information on the Tories, well what is it that she know you don't want made public?

Tbh the best response from Sunak is not to get sucked into nonsense, thank her for her public service, wish her well in her future endeavours and let ACOBA decide an appropriate length of garden leave

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,526

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

It's a bit like Shami Chakrabarti and Corbyn. I couldn't get too excited by that, but plenty of people did.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Going to have to join Rick here...

Steven's bias is obvious but can anyone else who thinks this calls his judgment into question tell me why?

In a week where, for the first time in years, the Tories have quietly achieved something sensible in Northern Ireland, Starmer has bagged himself an excellent chief of staff and set the tories a trap that they have walked into like lambs.

If this is "bad judgement", I'd hate to see.....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    We're into "Some people are saying..." and "Just asking questions" territory.
  • kingstongraham
    It just smells bad.

Makes him look like just one of those politicians. She'd better be really good at this job to be worth it.

If she is worth it, now is the right time, because this johnson stuff is going to drag on for months.
  • rick_chasey

It just smells bad.

Makes him look like just one of those politicians. She'd better be really good at this job to be worth it.

If she is worth it, now is the right time, because this johnson stuff is going to drag on for months.

Can people stop talking in euphemisms. What does “makes him look like just one of those politicians” mean?
  • kingstongraham

It just smells bad.

Can people stop talking in euphemisms. What does “makes him look like just one of those politicians” mean?
    Completely part of the established order, with no ambition to change anything, with the civil service as willing helpers, potentially aiding him from within.
  • rick_chasey

It just smells bad.

Completely part of the established order, with no ambition to change anything, with the civil service as willing helpers, potentially aiding him from within.
    Sure, that’s why he’s actually electable, right?
  • kingstongraham

It just smells bad.

If you say so.
  • rick_chasey

It just smells bad.

If you say so.
    Other than tinfoil hat stuff there’s nothing.

Surely someone who has not been in government hiring someone who is one of the best operators in the civil service is entirely sensible?

Especially one who clearly is not interested in one party over another.

You want your government to work with the civil services, not against?

Can you be more specific with your criticism?
  • kingstongraham

It just smells bad.

If you say so.

Surely someone who has not been in government hiring someone who is one of the best operators in the civil service is entirely sensible?

He's not the government. You want your civil service to work with the government, not looking to have them kicked out.
  • rjsterry
    edited March 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

No more than I worry about what what condescending people think. Why do you think I am worrying?
    I was asking if you were worried. You said the appointment brought into question Starmer's judgement because the appointment might look bad to some unspecified other people. Given what information is in the public domain, I think you'd have to be a bit daft to think that there really was any substance behind the ridiculous claims that Gray is some sort of Labour mole in the civil service. I mean, is Kemi Badenoch a Labour mole, too because she was trying to hire Gray as well?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey

It just smells bad.

If you say so.

He's not the government. You want your civil service to work with the government, not looking to have them kicked out.
    You don’t think with the poll lead labour have it makes sense to start preparing for government?

What do you want instead, them to wing it?