Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

The above is why it's maybe not such a bad move.

Do you think she'll ever do the job?
    I'm not entirely sure it matters?

If the Conservatives kick up a fuss about the report being a stitch up...it's a really pathetic look. I think given the toothless nature of the report, they would do well to keep quiet.

It might play well to their base, but they really need to start growing the base quickly.
    I could not think less of the Boris or his supporters but this makes me question Starmer's judgement
    Can someone please explain why this makes people question his judgment as I really don’t understand.
    Read the posts above. Or DYOR.
    No one has explained it on the thread and I’ve read up on it and I can only see it making his judgement better?

I genuinely can’t see it.
    I thought you were a sharp political operator?
    Apparently not. Spell it out like I’m stupid.
    You've already done it yourself by saying that you genuinely can't see any problem.
    The optics didn’t end up being at all bad. Therefore Starmer exhibited good judgement. I think that’s the logical conclusion.

Could be too early to tell, of course…

I’m amused by the concern for Starmer’s reputation.
    Thats a matter of opinion. I'm sure lefties will say he exhibited good judgment.
    Immediately after Sunak announced his Windsor Framework he gained some praise. But not for long. The party continued to pull itself apart - Spaffer saying he couldn't support the deal, then PartyGate being focused on again, then Mancock’s messages rubbishing Sunak’s EOTHO scheme.

There’s your ‘leftie’ optic.

What’s your view on what Starmer did that will present a bad optic?
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876

Imagine if she'd gone for a cushy job with the Tories after doing that report.

That’s a fair point, but you have to base the judgement on someone’s honesty and integrity.

It’s not as if she was facilitating an £800k loan to a Prime Minister prior to being appointed chairman of the BBC, for example.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Are we suggesting Chief of Staff is a cushy job now? She's taking a pay cut and I can't imagine it's 9-5 Mon-Fri.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The extent of the mistake seems to be that right wing journalists have an opportunity to say it was a mistake
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    edited March 2023
  • rjsterry
    I thought Johnson was so pleased with Gray's report that he claimed it exonerated him. I think at the time people thought she'd pulled her punches. Now it's a 'stitch up'. You'd have to be 30p Lee levels of thick to take this seriously.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,526
    I never understand why politicians will never just say that they can't answer a question and give a reason.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,522

I never understand why politicians will never just say that they can't answer a question and give a reason.

Yup - however you do it, dodging the question looks suspicious, though I can understand why politicians are wary of 'gotcha' questions.
  • kingstongraham

Or alternatively just answer the question. Or if you are obviously going to be asked questions where you think the answer is going to be too awkward, don't make the appointment.
  • TheBigBean

Or alternatively just answer the question. Or if you are obviously going to be asked questions where you think the answer is going to be too awkward, don't make the appointment.
    My guess would be that he doesn't the know the date and thinks saying that would make him look foolish.
  • briantrumpet
    edited March 2023

My guess would be that he doesn't the know the date and thinks saying that would make him look foolish.

If it's after her Partygate report, and he can say so for certain, he should. If it's before her report, it's more problematic.
  • kingstongraham

It's very reminiscent of Johnson refusing to say whether he was at any of the gatherings, as that would be dealt with by Sue Gray in her report.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    It's such a non-issue that a request for the matter to be scrutinised by parliament has been granted. Nothing to see here, clearly...
    https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/03/06/sue-gray-labour-appointment-keir-starmer-latest-news-rishi-sunak/
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    Perhaps the Sue Gray report needs to be redone to avoid the possibility of bias. I'm sure the Conservatives won't mind.
  • kingstongraham

Perhaps the Sue Gray report needs to be redone to avoid the possibility of bias. I'm sure the Conservatives won't mind.

Isn't the Conservative majority privileges committee doing something along those lines?
  • briantrumpet
  • rjsterry
    Johnson loyalists 😂.

Way to lash yourself to a sinking ship.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    This sounds like a reasonable (Guardian) summary of the UQ

Jeremy Quin, the Cabinet Office minister, used his opening statement to set out the obligations in civil servants like Sue Gray, and it seems clear that the rule about getting clearance from the Advisory Committee on Business Appointments (Acoba) before announcing a job like this has not been met. (See 3.39pm.) Gray was also meant to get clearance before having contact with a senior figure from the opposition. She is the one who seems to have broken the rules, not Keir Starmer, but Labour was clearly on the defensive, and mostly it turned into a “clobber Starmer” session.

That said, there was some absurd overstatement. The country is not facing a “constitutional crisis”, as the Tory MP Peter Bone claimed. (See 4.21pm.) If Gray had just quietly quit her job, waited a few weeks, contacted Acoba and then made the announcement, it would have been much harder for anyone to object. As Alex Cunningham pointed out, there would be precedent for that. (See 4.15pm.) Another Labour MP, Barry Sheerman, said he been told by a Tory MP that the outrage was orchestrated. (See 4.03pm.) That sounded right.

But the failure of Labour to explain when Gray was first approached gave the Tory critique a considerable boost, and it remains unclear why the opposition has not been able to provide a credible answer. One theory was that it actually suited Labour to keep this row going because, when it was a story about Boris Johnson supposedly being “framed” for Partygate, it helped Labour. A UQ on this would have reminded anyone paying attention a) why they disliked the former PM so much and b) that some Tory MPs are unhinged. But it ended up as a UQ about Starmer instead, and it did leave the impression that Labour has something to hide.
  • rjsterry
    Loving the Tory WhatsApp messages doing the rounds. Tim Loughton gently suggesting to his colleagues that maybe screeching about Partygate is not a good Idea. So at least one of them has a brain.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

Loving the Tory WhatsApp messages doing the rounds. Tim Loughton gently suggesting to his colleagues that maybe screeching about Partygate is not a good Idea. So at least one of them has a brain.

If it's not Oakeshotte, who's doing the leaking now?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    End to end encryption is only useful if one of the ends isn't a bell.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    Reading the latest Graun piece does make it feel that Johnson's allies are just using this as an excuse to rewrite history, as they are trying to do with much of the covid story, to make themselves out as the unblemished heroes.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/06/tory-mps-launch-bid-to-stop-labours-unprecedented-hiring-of-sue-gray

Given their backgrounds, it seems unlikely that either Starmer or Gray would have made a serious breach of protocol. In the meantime, it's keeping Johnson in the headlines, and Sunak cowering in some corner hoping it'll all blow over.

Anyone remember Northern Ireland now? A week really is a long time in politics.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Reading the latest Graun piece does make it feel that Johnson's allies are just using this as an excuse to rewrite history, as they are trying to do with much of the covid story, to make themselves out as the unblemished heroes.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/06/tory-mps-launch-bid-to-stop-labours-unprecedented-hiring-of-sue-gray

Given their backgrounds, it seems unlikely that either Starmer or Gray would have made a serious breach of protocol. In the meantime, it's keeping Johnson in the headlines, and Sunak cowering in some corner hoping it'll all blow over.

Anyone remember Northern Ireland now? A week really is a long time in politics.

So here’s a thought.

The biggest threat to NI going through is the Conservative Party. Maybe we’re now in the absurd situation that distracting the Tories from Tory policy is the real objective.
  • rjsterry
    Haven't we been in that situation since 2017?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    FFS, Starmer. Stop being so spineless. Open goal, and you're sitting on the sidelines (if not the fence).

• TheBigBean

FFS, Starmer. Stop being so spineless. Open goal, and you're sitting on the sidelines (if not the fence).

It's an argument with no winners so better to watch from the sidelines.

I'm still intrigued how many people on this thread can't see how poor the language was in the tweet
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153

I'm still intrigued how many people on this thread can't see how poor the language was in the tweet
    Was it similar to Germany in the 1930s?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604

Same here. Especially after it was reported that Linker himself privately admitted the language in his tweet was OTT.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

Was it similar to Germany in the 1930s?
    More like 16 year olds discussing politics. "You're such a fascist" etc

But I know you are joking