Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932

He was elected a Labour MP in June 2017, and kicked out of the Labour Party in October 2017.

Big failure of vetting there, but he didn't quite make it to one of the great offices of state.

Yeah, it would be interesting how he made it to be the candidate. Sounds like his life fell apart. Charles Kennedy, of course, met a very sad end... addiction doesn't look at the colour of the rosette.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699

He was elected a Labour MP in June 2017, and kicked out of the Labour Party in October 2017.

Big failure of vetting there, but he didn't quite make it to one of the great offices of state.

I remember thinking at the time that he appeared to be completely out of his depth. Something had obviously gone wrong for him to even be a candidate. Not at all a surprise.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    It's quite amusing that you're engaging in whataboutery on a matter you raised in this thread :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

It's quite amusing that you're engaging in whataboutery on a matter you raised in this thread :)
    Sure, but Class A drugs for a Labour MP who lasted six months, five years ago, isn't likely to be a hot topic, in the grand scheme of things, especially given he was a nobody, and is currently being tried for his offences (and quite right too).

What is it you'd like us to discuss about him?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Sure, but Class A drugs for a Labour MP who lasted six months, five years ago, isn't likely to be a hot topic, in the grand scheme of things, especially given he was a nobody, and is currently being tried for his offences (and quite right too).

What is it you'd like us to discuss about him?
    I want him sacked and prosecuted for his offences. Oh, wait a minute……..
  • briantrumpet
    Wait till Stevo finds out that *Labour MP* David Weitzmann was imprisoned in 1947 for the "unlawful supply of toilet preparations (lipstick)". Why aren't we talking about that?
  • Stevo_666
    It's always funny to see the excuses as to why leftie wrong doing isn't worth discussing :)

The 'person isnt important enough' excuse isn't really relevant if we're discussing principles.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Let's discuss it then. I think that what he did was terribly wrong, and the Labour party should never have had him as an MP.

When they found out he was a wrong 'un, they should have suspended him while they investigated, then kicked him out and tried to get him to resign as an MP. He should have been investigated by the authorities, and prosecuted for any law breaking.

Discuss.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited January 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

It's always funny to see the excuses as to why leftie wrong doing isn't worth discussing :)

The 'person isnt important enough' excuse isn't really relevant if we're discussing principles.

Every large organisation has sh!tbags and people who break the rules. It's what you do with those people, and what precedent is set, that matters.

After Greensill, Zahawi should have been kicked out of the party and never allowed to be a Tory MP again.

He's another Cameron legacy that has not aged well.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Stevo_666 said:

What bit of 'should never have been a candidate' is an excuse?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Happy to discuss principles.

It appears he broke the law.

He got kicked out of the party.

It looks likely he might go to prison.

No-one here is defending him.

Discuss.
  • Stevo_666
    That appears to be the appropriate level of debate :) However there were previous protestations that he wasn't important enough to warrant it.
  • briantrumpet
    PS That wasn't a debate or discussion, just a statement of facts.

I genuinely don't know what it is you want to 'discuss'.
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2023

I didn't say I wanted to discuss anything in particular, just expressed initial surprise that it didn't generate more debate given the ****storm over Zahawi.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

I didn't say I wanted to discuss anything in poarticular, just expressed initial surprise that it didn't generate more debate given the ****storm over Zahawi.

Maybe the initial surprise has worn off, given the contrasting status and profile of the two situations, as detailed above. Had it been Starmer in the dock, or one of his shadow cabinet, there would have (deservedly) been more to talk about.
  • He was mentioned on this thread in 2017 when suspended, but nobody was interested because it was historical tweets that did for him.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    Stevo_666 said:

I didn't say I wanted to discuss anything in particular, just expressed initial surprise that it didn't generate more debate given the ****storm over Zahawi.
    Your initial post on this thread suggesting that it wouldn't generate much discussion was in response to someone else posting about it... brilliant work.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Your initial post on this thread suggesting that it wouldn't generate much discussion was in response to someone else posting about it... brilliant work.
    Well I did manag to change that a bit. Including drawing you in to have a little snipe, albeit a bit late ;)
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well I did manag to change that a bit. Including drawing you in to have a little snipe, albeit a bit late ;)
    Keep posting nonsense and occasionally people will call you out for it. That's on you not them 🤷‍♂️
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

pangolin said:

Stevo_666 said:

Keep posting nonsense and occasionally people will call you out for it. That's on you not them 🤷‍♂️
    Good excuse :smile:
  • Anyway, I agree that he should not be in government with a record of being dodgy.
  • briantrumpet
    Well, I didn't have Tom Harris in the Telegraph actually almost repeating the title of this thread in an article of his, on my Telegraph bingo card.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/26/prepare-labour-victory-scotland/

The 2024 general election is likely to be the first since the SNP took power at Holyrood in 2007 in which Labour looks likely to win, or is at least in a competitive position. We know for a fact that voting for large numbers of SNP MPs has no impact on the UK-wide result and even less on the Conservatives’ ability to govern. If the polls continue to predict a Starmer victory, or even a knife-edge result, will all those former Scottish Labour voters continue to refuse to take the opportunity to contribute to the removal of the Conservatives from government? What would stop them from doing so – the prospect of a rerun independence referendum that simply cannot happen?

The stars are aligning for Scottish Labour in a way that has not happened for many years. Much of the reason for this has nothing to do with them; they are only the beneficiaries of actions taken by an unelected Supreme Court and a UK government that is not particularly popular in Scotland. At the same time, Keir Starmer, the Labour leader, while not setting the heather alight north of the border, is seen as a decent man and a great improvement on Rishi Sunak.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

Well, I didn't have Tom Harris in the Telegraph actually almost repeating the title of this thread in an article of his, on my Telegraph bingo card.

At a guess Tom Harris is doing some wishful thinking.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    This title of this made me smile:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/01/26/sadiq-khan-blocks-free-public-lavatories-london-underground/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

Not sure how they know that Citizen Khan has been on a high fibre diet :)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

Interesting little nugget which I don't think was mentioned uptrend

The ill-fated O Meara won Sheffield Hallam in 2017, turfing out Nick Clegg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

• Interesting little nugget which I don't think was mentioned uptrend

4 years sounds a long time.

I can't remember other MPs doing jail time for robbing their expenses. Like accepting bribes was not a ciminal offence for them before?

I can't remember other MPs doing jail time for robbing their expenses. Like accepting bribes was not a ciminal offence for them before?
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/political-prisoners-the-mps-who-have-served-jail-time

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited February 2023

Interesting little nugget which I don't think was mentioned uptrend

Fiddling expenses for working class hobbies like gakking up with your mates like this chap is obviously not on.

Fiddling expenses for upper class hobbies like duck houses is obviously absolutely fine.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/political-prisoners-the-mps-who-have-served-jail-time

I had completely forgotten about any of them.
  • briantrumpet
    Here's Dan Neidle on a Labour figure, for balance (even if the amounts are rather msaller - as he says, the principle is the same):