Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,523

It just smells bad.

Makes him look like just one of those politicians. She'd better be really good at this job to be worth it.

If she is worth it, now is the right time, because this johnson stuff is going to drag on for months.

Can people stop talking in euphemisms. What does “makes him look like just one of those politicians” mean?
    Completely part of the established order, with no ambition to change anything, with the civil service as willing helpers, potentially aiding him from within.
    Sure, that’s why he’s actually electable, right?
    If you say so.
    Other than tinfoil hat stuff there’s nothing.

Surely someone who has not been in government hiring someone who is one of the best operators in the civil service is entirely sensible?

Especially one who clearly is not interested in one party over another.

You want your government to work with the civil services, not against?

Can you be more specific with your criticism?
    He's not the government. You want your civil service to work with the government, not looking to have them kicked out.
    You don’t think with the poll lead labour have it makes sense to start preparing for government?

What do you want instead, them to wing it?

Even the Express thinks it's a good appointment.

The 'outrage' is Johnsonian deflection: he doesn't care if it harms the Tory Party, as it was only ever about him.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,526
    I'm more surprised that Sue Gray accepted the role than Starmer offered it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091

As posted previously, she'd been blocked from a promotion by Simon Case so was probably leaving the civil service anyway.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet

See the Express article, amongst others: it's suggesting that she felt hard done by by Simon Case blocking her promotion in the CS, and this way she protentially gets herself to the heart of government. I'd also think it's a very interesting job prospect.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,526
    rjsterry said:

As posted previously, she'd been blocked from a promotion by Simon Case so was probably leaving the civil service anyway.
    Yes, Simon Case never seems to come out smelling of roses whenever his name crops up. Nonetheless, she had other options such as waiting it out.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128

It just smells bad.

Makes him look like just one of those politicians. She'd better be really good at this job to be worth it.

If she is worth it, now is the right time, because this johnson stuff is going to drag on for months.

Can people stop talking in euphemisms. What does “makes him look like just one of those politicians” mean?
    Completely part of the established order, with no ambition to change anything, with the civil service as willing helpers, potentially aiding him from within.
    If you say so.

Surely someone who has not been in government hiring someone who is one of the best operators in the civil service is entirely sensible?

He's not the government. You want your civil service to work with the government, not looking to have them kicked out.
    no, the duty of the civil service is to act in accordance with the law, not twist it to suit political ends

if a government is led by liars and traitors, it is the legal duty of civil servants to resist, not collaborate

plenty of ex-democracies show the outcome if public bodies fail in this duty
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • briantrumpet

rjsterry said:

Yes, Simon Case never seems to come out smelling of roses whenever his name crops up. Nonetheless, she had other options such as waiting it out.

The same mud was going to be slung by Johnson and his diminishing bunch of acolytes if she had waited, because that's how they work. As it is, Acoba will dictate the timescale, and then she can get to work.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Given that you seem to be capable at your job based on what you say Stevo…

Has your political opinion ever stopped you being capable?

It's not about her capability, or mine. It's about how it might be perceived given her role in the 'Partygate' investigation. As I'm sure you're aware, the optics can be important in politics.
    Are you suggesting that in retrospect she seemed unduly harsh on Boris in some way in that investigation?
    I'm not expressing a view on that, just talking about how others might perceive the appointment. You did ask above why Starmer did this, so what are your concerns here?
    So you're worried about what stupid people might think?
    No more than I worry about what what condescending people think. Why do you think I am worrying?
    I was asking if you were worried. You said the appointment brought into question Starmer's judgement because the appointment might look bad to some unspecified other people. Given what information is in the public domain, I think you'd have to be a bit daft to think that there really was any substance behind the ridiculous claims that Gray is some sort of Labour mole in the civil service. I mean, is Kemi Badenoch a Labour mole, too because she was trying to hire Gray as well?
    The answer is no.

As to why, I explained above the the optics could be bad and create bad press for him/Labour, hence the question over his judgment if what he did caused that to happen as he should have foreseen that.

If it was a civil servant who had undertaken an investigation into some alleged Labour party scandal and was later hired by the Tory leader, I'm pretty sure the reaction on here would have been rather different.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

The above is why it's maybe not such a bad move.

Do you think she'll ever do the job?
    I'm not entirely sure it matters?

If the Conservatives kick up a fuss about the report being a stitch up...it's a really pathetic look. I think given the toothless nature of the report, they would do well to keep quiet.

It might play well to their base, but they really need to start growing the base quickly.
    I could not think less of the Boris or his supporters but this makes me question Starmer's judgement
    Can someone please explain why this makes people question his judgment as I really don’t understand.
    Read the posts above. Or DYOR.
    No one has explained it on the thread and I’ve read up on it and I can only see it making his judgement better?

I genuinely can’t see it.
    I thought you were a sharp political operator?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    edited March 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Given that you seem to be capable at your job based on what you say Stevo…

Has your political opinion ever stopped you being capable?

It's not about her capability, or mine. It's about how it might be perceived given her role in the 'Partygate' investigation. As I'm sure you're aware, the optics can be important in politics.
    Are you suggesting that in retrospect she seemed unduly harsh on Boris in some way in that investigation?
    I'm not expressing a view on that, just talking about how others might perceive the appointment. You did ask above why Starmer did this, so what are your concerns here?
    So you're worried about what stupid people might think?
    No more than I worry about what what condescending people think. Why do you think I am worrying?
    I was asking if you were worried. You said the appointment brought into question Starmer's judgement because the appointment might look bad to some unspecified other people. Given what information is in the public domain, I think you'd have to be a bit daft to think that there really was any substance behind the ridiculous claims that Gray is some sort of Labour mole in the civil service. I mean, is Kemi Badenoch a Labour mole, too because she was trying to hire Gray as well?
    The answer is no.

As to why, I explained above the the optics could be bad and create bad press for him/Labour, hence the question over his judgment if what he did caused that to happen as he should have foreseen that.

If it was a civil servant who had undertaken an investigation into some alleged Labour party scandal and was later hired by the Tory leader, I'm pretty sure the reaction on here would have been rather different.
    We already know what press it has created: general acceptance that it's fine with the exceptions being people who would denounce Starmer if he'd just rescued a family from a burning building. As has been pointed out above, incoming parties often hire a top civil servant from the previous administration. Starmer is just taking an early opportunity. I never understand why you think this place is full of Labour supporters. I'm not particularly looking forward to a Starmer government, I've never voted for them and many others have said they have voted Conservative many times in the past. But I can see which way the wind is blowing.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    edited March 2023
    The irony here is that if Sunak had a Damascene conversion and started making noises about rejoining the SM & CU, whilst Starmer clings to the 'no way' mantra, not only would it be a return to Thatcherite thinking, but it would, I suspect, make a few (or more) Cakestoppers think twice about who to support. But as long as the Tories are beholden to the ERG & Farage doctrine, anything is better.

Sunak needs to cleanse the party of the Johnson tribe for starters, to make themselves electable. Johnson's no Tory. Sunak could do that by casting him adrift now by declaring his confidence in Gray's report and the Select Committee's status. His current silence reflects his weakness, and he's squandering his mini NIP bounce.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Enjoying the reaction to the Pippa Crearer tweet on Sue Gray's career break as a pub landlady in Newry during the Troubles

My favourite was

"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Landlady on career break"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

If the Conservatives kick up a fuss about the report being a stitch up...it's a really pathetic look. I think given the toothless nature of the report, they would do well to keep quiet.

It might play well to their base, but they really need to start growing the base quickly.
    I could not think less of the Boris or his supporters but this makes me question Starmer's judgement
    Can someone please explain why this makes people question his judgment as I really don’t understand.
    No one has explained it on the thread and I’ve read up on it and I can only see it making his judgement better?

Apparently not. Spell it out like I’m stupid.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    sungod said:

It just smells bad.

If you say so.

no, the duty of the civil service is to act in accordance with the law, not twist it to suit political ends

if a government is led by liars and traitors, it is the legal duty of civil servants to resist, not collaborate

You don't want them to be pretending to be impartial while working to eject the properly elected party in power.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

sungod said:

It just smells bad.

If you say so.

You don't want them to be pretending to be impartial while working to eject the properly elected party in power.
    This is irrelevant as Sue Gray has to leave the civil service to take up Starmer's offer.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

You've already done it yourself by saying that you genuinely can't see any problem.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

You've already done it yourself by saying that you genuinely can't see any problem.
    So can you explain how I’m wrong?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Yes, Rossendale and Darwen. Areas struggling under the status quo, high immigrant populations and openly racist sentiment quite evident.

Exactly the sort of areas that need governments to see people as a resource rather than a burden.

To some degree, i understand the argument against a stability government but who is a disruptive candidate?

Bojo pretends to be a disruptor but is a self servant. Farage pretends to be a disruptor but is a self server. Sunak is himself a stability candidate.

How do the Tories manage to blame the opposition for the mess they’ve made?
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

The optics didn’t end up being at all bad. Therefore Starmer exhibited good judgement. I think that’s the logical conclusion.

Could be too early to tell, of course…

I’m amused by the concern for Starmer’s reputation.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

Good try. If you don't understand the point you cant be wrong, you just haven't understood. Re read my posts above as I've already explained the point - if you still don't understand then I'm not really bothered.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

The optics didn’t end up being at all bad. Therefore Starmer exhibited good judgement. I think that’s the logical conclusion.

Could be too early to tell, of course…

I’m amused by the concern for Starmer’s reputation.
    Thats a matter of opinion. I'm sure lefties will say he exhibited good judgment.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    These lefties you speak of, are they in the room with us right now?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

Good try. If you don't understand the point you cant be wrong, you just haven't understood. Re read my posts above as I've already explained the point - if you still don't understand then I'm not really bothered.
    You never said anything!
  • rjsterry
    ddraver said:

They're EVERYWHERE!
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    rjsterry said:

ddraver said:

They're EVERYWHERE!
    They've even infiltrated the Telegraph and the Express.
    Will the horror ever end?!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

I don't think you've explained why you think it's a mistake other than saying optics.
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

I don't think you've explained why you think it's a mistake other than saying optics.
    Even the optics I don’t understand.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

Even the optics I don’t understand.

i'm quite enjoying the optics of erg/gammon snowflakes trying to smear someone who demonstrably went easy* on their ex-leader and his cronies

*grey chose to not even investigate some ostensibly illegal gatherings in no. 10, and chose to report in generalities, she's hardly the witchfinder general
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • kingstongraham
    Imagine if she'd gone for a cushy job with the Tories after doing that report.