Road tubeless tyres, where and how much?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    review of the IRC Roadlite tubeless here

http://whosatthewheel.com/2015/05/19/fl ... ess-tyres/
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    review of the IRC Roadlite tubeless here

http://whosatthewheel.com/2015/05/19/fl ... ess-tyres/

Well that's my next set of tyres sorted!

Off topic - how steep were the southern ascents of Fleet and Buttertubs compared to the northern descents? The north face of Fleet near the top is surely the steepest bit of the lot?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    drlodge wrote:
    Off topic - how steep were the southern ascents of Fleet and Buttertubs compared to the northern descents? The north face of Fleet near the top is surely the steepest bit of the lot?

Off topic: I think they are equally steep either side... to be honest the climbing wasn't the problem, not even Coal Road, which rises up like a wall... I had very short gears and I used them shamelessly, those who go up with a 39 x 27 might find them hard, I didn't... the problems were the exposed sections (mainly Tan Hill, which was horrendous) and the descents in cross winds mainly Fleet Moss, Buttertubs and Coal Road),
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    I just heard that I have been selected as a test rider of Schwalbes new prototype TL race tires. I'm already very satisfied with the One's. I'll keep you posted.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Fancy dropping the spare pair off in Leiden? ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I fancy trying the Scwalbe ones next, possibly a daft question, but is there any difference between the Scwalbe One Tubeless being sold by Ribble at £35 and the ones at Wiggle for £51? Looks to be the same tyre, but surprised at such a price difference.
    Normally ride Bontrager R3's, have been good but are now due to be replaced. The IRC look good as well but I doubt my LBS will get these in for me as they're a Trek store.
  • ugo.santalucia
    w00dster wrote:
    I fancy trying the Scwalbe ones next, possibly a daft question, but is there any difference between the Scwalbe One Tubeless being sold by Ribble at £35 and the ones at Wiggle for £51? Looks to be the same tyre, but surprised at such a price difference.
    Normally ride Bontrager R3's, have been good but are now due to be replaced. The IRC look good as well but I doubt my LBS will get these in for me as they're a Trek store.

The difference is that Ribble must source them from outside the UK. As I understand and was told by someone inside the industry, Schwalbe UK imposes the RRP on them.

You can always ask about the IRC... they are very good tyres and if 55 Euro = 40 pounds, then they are excellent value too
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Massive, massive pothole hit at about 40mph last night, the sort where you go slack and await the hedge in your face. The Ones (70F, 85R) never even flinched. Had I been running clinchers I'd be typing this from a hospital bed. If the IRC are better, I can't wait to try them.

I'm duty bound to report that my SuperStar/Pacenti wheels also took the hit in stride. Credit where it's due, although I did give them a mild tweaking for tension, albeit with a guitar tuner.
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    edited May 2015
    Massive, massive pothole hit at about 40mph last night, the sort where you go slack and await the hedge in your face. The Ones (70F, 85R) never even flinched. Had I been running clinchers I'd be typing this from a hospital bed. If the IRC are better, I can't wait to try them.

I'm duty bound to report that my SuperStar/Pacenti wheels also took the hit in stride. Credit where it's due, although I did give them a mild tweaking for tension, albeit with a guitar tuner.

Have to say, this tubeless thing is beginning to interest me more and more. Just out of interest, how much do you weigh, running those pressures?
    Also, my SuperStar Pacenti hoops have taken some pretty stiff hits without flinching. My riding is a bit "head down" at times :roll: . The good new is, if you ever break one (or even wear it out) they'll replace the SL23 rim for £55 and rebuild it for £25 including any new spokes and return postage. I'm very relaxed about owning mine despite seeing a little atypical negative hype.
    Are your Ones 23 or 25mm ?
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    12 Stone on the button most days. I could probably go a little lower on pressure, but I enjoy a bit of "fizz" off the road. Those pressures seem the best balance. I'm using 25mm Ones.
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:
    Welll I'm not sure what took the biggest prick yesterday, the tyre or my ego

Having said that, the tyre did go down nice and slowly rather than with a bang and was easy to change - the sealant forming an excellent, if inneundo laden, lubricant. The only problem is that I'd appeared to have forgotten how to use my mini pump, and that the tyre took a while to seat on the rim properly which led to a km or so of wobbly riding.

Anyone got any tip on mending the tyre so I can run it tubeless again? It really isnt that big a hole, I suspect whatever caused it (and the tyre around the whole was quite cut up so I suspect it was pretty big) must have gone in and fallen out which is what allowed most of the air to leak out

You need a tubeless patch

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/velo ... lsrc=aw.ds

Well the patch kit arrived yesterday but i'd forgotten where the hole in the tyre was and couldnt find it again. So I tried to reinflate the tyre tubeless again - which needed a CO2 Cartridge this time as the bead has stretched - and it appears to have sealed again. Tyre was still up this morning

Thus, although I suggest that putting a tube in the tyre when on the road, if you ve had a slow puncture it's worth trying to re inflate it with a bit more sealant in at home later.
    - @ddraver
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Welll I'm not sure what took the biggest prick yesterday, the tyre or my ego

Having said that, the tyre did go down nice and slowly rather than with a bang and was easy to change - the sealant forming an excellent, if inneundo laden, lubricant. The only problem is that I'd appeared to have forgotten how to use my mini pump, and that the tyre took a while to seat on the rim properly which led to a km or so of wobbly riding.

Anyone got any tip on mending the tyre so I can run it tubeless again? It really isnt that big a hole, I suspect whatever caused it (and the tyre around the whole was quite cut up so I suspect it was pretty big) must have gone in and fallen out which is what allowed most of the air to leak out

You need a tubeless patch

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/velo ... lsrc=aw.ds

Well the patch kit arrived yesterday but i'd forgotten where the hole in the tyre was and couldnt find it again. So I tried to reinflate the tyre tubeless again - which needed a CO2 Cartridge this time as the bead has stretched - and it appears to have sealed again. Tyre was still up this morning

Thus, although I suggest that putting a tube in the tyre when on the road, if you ve had a slow puncture it's worth trying to re inflate it with a bit more sealant in at home later.

Or turn the wheel so the hole faces the ground, inflate the tyre (and when necessary repeat it again), grab something to eat and drink, enjoy the views and start cycling again. That is what I did with a 4mm cut twice.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Regarding the vittoria open corsa tyres. I uses these week in week out around suffolk lanes without issues. I use them at the very start of sprjng throught to october time, i.e race season. Did so last year and i am doing so this year. I get 1500 miles before the file thread wears down on the rear. However in the last 6000km i have been using these tyres on the sannino i have wrecked one tyre with a big side wall cut. They dont puncture very often all.

I use tubeless in winter or conti competition tubs which are oddly quite durable until the suffolk lanes are really covered in filth then it tubeless. I probably would use tubeless tyres in my sannino but given they wont fit i cant. The open corsa 23mm is one of the few tyres that does on a wide rim of course. I say fits, paint has been removed from the seat tube again so fit is a subjective term.

Irc tyres sound good shame the distributor does not have any. I need to email them again to see if they have some now.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    .....Irc tyres sound good shame the distributor does not have any. I need to email them again to see if they have some now.
    Anyone had success to find one of these tires? I'm checked every retailer I could think of but found nothing...
  • ugo.santalucia
    .....Irc tyres sound good shame the distributor does not have any. I need to email them again to see if they have some now.
    Anyone had success to find one of these tires? I'm checked every retailer I could think of but found nothing...
    The distributor is out... it's a slow process, but they should be re-stocked after summer.. IRC is only breaking in the European market now... previously they were in Japan and North America
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    The distributor is out... it's a slow process, but they should be re-stocked after summer.. IRC is only breaking in the European market now... previously they were in Japan and North America
    I even looked at Japanese sites but they only stocked the clincher version and postage would made it very expensive.
    I might give a go to the One then, I really don't feel like putting the Fusions back as they are a pain to pop with a track pump.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I've finally taken the plunge on some 23mm Schwalbe Ones, £56 for a pair from Bike Discount. Bumped the order up to £75 for free delivery with some sealant, a tubeless repair kit (these any good?) and a few other bits.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Been running the 25 Schwalbe Ones for a few weeks now. Great tyres - had them in the alps last week.

It's quite unreal how much road rattle they absorb if you run them at a low PSI (I've been experimenting around the 80-85 mark). They don't feel quite as fleet footed at the Veloflex Corsas but that may just be the impression from the road-feel - I've got no figures to back that up.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    How much pressure leakage is normal for tubeless tyres? More than clinchers? I finally seem to have got mine sealed ok but they still leak at maybe 10psi per day.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    edited June 2015
    How much pressure leakage is normal for tubeless tyres? More than clinchers? I finally seem to have got mine sealed ok but they still leak at maybe 10psi per day.

My tubeless tyres hold pressure just as well as my clinchers. If not better.
  • ddraver
    I always pump mine up again before a ride - but I did that with tubes as well...
    - @ddraver
  • g00se

I lose about 5 psi a day. Sometimes 10 if I've had a big day out since the last pump-up. So they lose more than clinchers with butyl tubes - but less than the previous latex tubes I was using.
  • trek_dan
    What emergency provisions to people take for punctures? I know in theory they should self seal... I can't see the point in carrying a spare tube like mountain bikers do, the tyres are such a tight fit you'd never get one in. Was thinking gas cartridges, more sealant and a tyre repair boot?
  • ddraver
    *sigh* a few people need a lesson or two in removing tires from rims

Plus the bead will stretch on the rim so it will be easier to get off. Plus the sealant makes a good lube. Check that there are no bits left in the tyre (the only thing with tubeless that can be more of a PITA than clinchers as you can have a couple of previously sealed holes in the tyre that may still have crap in them), put the tube in and go

The trouble will come with getting the repaired tyre back up tubeless again when you get home as the bead will not seal so well.
    - @ddraver
  • trek_dan
    Fitting the tubeless tyre was very very difficult. It would seriously be nearly impossible to do it at the side of a road with the added risk of nipping a tube.
  • g00se
    I've replaced my normal tyre levers with a VAR 'bead jack' set. They work as normal levers but also double up as 'Dutch' levers too. They'll pull the last bit of the bead on without catching the tube.

Haven't needed to use them in anger yet.
  • ddraver
    Fitting the tubeless tyre was very very difficult. It would seriously be nearly impossible to do it at the side of a road with the added risk of nipping a tube.

Some people must be wizards then

have a look at some of the stuff on how to fit/remove tubeless tyres. It is NOT the same as clinchers (though similar)
    - @ddraver
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652

have a look at some of the stuff on how to fit/remove tubeless tyres. It is NOT the same as clinchers (though similar)

Having had first-hand experience of fitting tubeless Schwalbe Ones to an older spec SL23 rim, I can also confirm that it is an absolute chew on when the tyres are new. Once fitted and inflated for a while, it's quite a lot easier to remove and refit though.
  • trek_dan

Having had first-hand experience of fitting tubeless Schwalbe Ones to an older spec SL23 rim, I can also confirm that it is an absolute chew on when the tyres are new. Once fitted and inflated for a while, it's quite a lot easier to remove and refit though.

That is exactly the combo I'm running. Good to know :wink:
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Hi, just a quick one, Two months ago I put in 30-40 ml of doc blue in each of my schwalbe one 23's and was wondering how long it will stay effective, I'm getting a bit paranoid on long rides in the middle of nowhere now, they have been great so far though.