Torm

Comments

• Torm
    Torm Posts: 234
    I think my other half would appreciate the womens fit - she already has a size small in the mens and wears it all the time.
    I can't speak for her, but I think she would find the 'Pink for the ladies' a bit patronising though Paul, I'm sure she would want to choose from the same colour range the blokes get to choose. Saying that,the colours that are in the current womens collection are really nice though - I really like the T8 in the red, and I'd definitely have a red TL7 if it were in a mens cut.
    Thanks for letting me know, colours are a very personal thing, believe it or not the TL1 in grey and pink is the most chosen jersey so far. I did some samples of the T1/T8 in Red/Black and they went down really well so I thought Id give the ladies range a bit of exclusivity of colours...for the time being at least. I should probably drop a couple of colours at the end of this year and swap things around, I did a T1 in grey and black and I thought it looked great ! Anyway, back to the ladies, I will expand the colours available in the ladies range but first I wanted to hear feedback from them on what they like about the jerseys/colours and what they didn't.
    Thanks for taking the time to let me know.
  • Torm
    I think my other half would appreciate the womens fit - she already has a size small in the mens and wears it all the time.
    I can't speak for her, but I think she would find the 'Pink for the ladies' a bit patronising though Paul, I'm sure she would want to choose from the same colour range the blokes get to choose. Saying that, I've nothing against pink, especially if it's done tastefully though, a darker shade perhaps. I might even consider it myself, but I find having gender specific colouring a bit old fashioned?

Just my opinion.

The rest of mainland Europe has moved on from the pink for ladies concept about 50 years ago... the problem here is this "princess" kind of upbringing that many girls still get to these days... which then transfers into ludicrous confetti clad bride maids and all that nonsense.

But yes, pink for the ladies is deffo patronising and old fashoned
    In the same way that beer for blokes is old fashioned ;-)
  • Torm
    I love the look and styling of my T5, but found it hard to choose between the colours; I went for the "least worst" option (grey - but it's a bit too dark to be ideal). I'd love to have one in a lighter grey, pea green or sky blue (which is why I've held off ordering more).
    Understood...currently I use 9 colours for my jerseys...that's a lot more than other SportWool suppliers...I can't do Sky blue for obvious reasons and I thought my green was pea green !
  • Torm
    Nickshek wrote:
    bought and received my T2 jersey recently. Perfect fit for me and quality is nice! I find the the zip pockets too small to fit my phone in, which I'm a bit gutted about.
    Have you tried putting it in the pocket in portrait mode ? I've been working on bigger pockets and have managed to get most phones in the zipped pockets down to size small in the prototypes which are slowly filtering into the range however the challenge will always be getting the biggest phones in the smallest jerseys. My iPhone 4 (I know...I don't like upgrading till things break !) fits in my large zipped pockets but I don't put it in there, I'm happier with it in my rhs cargo pocket in landscape mode.
  • Torm
    IanRCarter wrote:
    Love the ladies designs, especially TL1 grey/pink, I'd buy that in a men's cut! Nothing wrong with a bit of pink on a man (or a lot, in the case of my Rapha Pro jersey!). I'd suggest country flag colours but it looks like Rapha have beat you to it (albeit ruined with Sky logos). Navy with red/white details might look quite nice.
    Well the T11 is Union Jack Blue by design, sells well in the UK and bought by a lot of ex-pats around the world! The Red version sells well in Norway (not by design !), I have a Swedish white/blue/yellow T7 on it's way (I expect this also to be popular with Leeds Utd fans !) and both the Italian green jerseys are popular. I do like the idea of Navy Blue...it's heading to the top of my list !
  • Torm
    I rode the Rapha Hell of the North on my new design Torm T8 (with wider pockets). I filled the pockets with a windproof coat, a spare inner tube for bigger tyres, a roll of basic tools and pump, a small mobile phone, keys, credit card and some cash and the route card they gave us at the start...

So that's not bad... mine is blue, it looks so much better than those new Rapha designs, which are most likely made for the generation who likes Red Bull and fruity caffeine gels, clearly...
    Firstly Ugo...you get up way too early ! Thanks for the feedback on the new pocket size, I'm glad we managed to do a good job here...it's not easy this jersey designing lark !
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
    Torm wrote:
    Firstly Ugo...you get up way too early !

The forum is still running on winter time, so it was 6:30... but yeah, I am a morning person. In a month I'll probably reinstate the trend for the 5 AM mid week ride... it's the only time of the day when this city is bearable
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    Torm wrote:
    In the same way that beer for blokes is old fashioned ;-)
    Some things are timeless and never go out of fashion.
    My wife should be ordering something from you for me in the next week or so. If not, I'll have to buy myself a birthday present.
  • Nickshek
    Nickshek Posts: 27
    Torm wrote:
    Nickshek wrote:
    bought and received my T2 jersey recently. Perfect fit for me and quality is nice! I find the the zip pockets too small to fit my phone in, which I'm a bit gutted about.
    Have you tried putting it in the pocket in portrait mode ? I've been working on bigger pockets and have managed to get most phones in the zipped pockets down to size small in the prototypes which are slowly filtering into the range however the challenge will always be getting the biggest phones in the smallest jerseys. My iPhone 4 (I know...I don't like upgrading till things break !) fits in my large zipped pockets but I don't put it in there, I'm happier with it in my rhs cargo pocket in landscape mode.

it definitely won't go in. it probably doesn't help that I have a clamshell phone which is twice the thickness of most modern phones! :oops: not the end of the world and it won't stop me buying another Torm jersey.
    FELT F5 // FFWD F6R-C
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    Really like the look of these jerseys, and although I know they are good value in comparison to the others but they are more than I would normally spend. I was going to treat myself and move away from the usual stuff I buy.

However unless I have read it wrong, you actually need to buy two jerseys to get free postage as the postage is set £1 more than the jersey price, I then check and see that postage is nearly £6 for the cheapest option.

So unfortunately I won't be buying. Really nice jerseys though.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Right.....so you're expecting delivery for free on a jersey that you already say is punching above its weight in terms of quality and price...give me a break. What is it with the culture that everything should be free these days?

Im sure Torm can clarify, but I would guess the postage is free on 2 or more items as they can recoup the cost over multiple items, where as the markup on one item only would be too small to offer free postage.

I wonder what the reaction would be if the jersey was £5 dearer but delivery was then stated as "free" across the board.

Cant wait to see what designs and colour schemes they come up with next - keep up the great work guys.
  • Torm
    Plodder73 wrote:
    Really like the look of these jerseys, and although I know they are good value in comparison to the others but they are more than I would normally spend. I was going to treat myself and move away from the usual stuff I buy.

However unless I have read it wrong, you actually need to buy two jerseys to get free postage as the postage is set £1 more than the jersey price, I then check and see that postage is nearly £6 for the cheapest option.

So unfortunately I won't be buying. Really nice jerseys though.
    Thanks for your feedback, I set the zero postage figure at £60 to reward folks who wish to purchase more than one item, e.g. a T1 and Arm warmers is £70 with free postage or a T5 on its own is £64.88. I make no money on the postage at all and have reduced my prices/options recently in response to customers needs. The cheapest postage I offer for a jersey is 2nd Class Recorded post, the cost is made up of the cost of the postage, VAT (damn treasury want a cut), packaging/paper/ink supplies etc but not the cost of the time/labour to process the order from printing to packaging (not the most fun we have during my day !!)
    Hope that gives a little back ground on the costs involved.
  • veronese68
    bsharp77 wrote:
    Right.....so you're expecting delivery for free on a jersey that you already say is punching above its weight in terms of quality and price...give me a break. What is it with the culture that everything should be free these days?

Im sure Torm can clarify, but I would guess the postage is free on 2 or more items as they can recoup the cost over multiple items, where as the markup on one item only would be too small to offer free postage.

I wonder what the reaction would be if the jersey was £5 dearer but delivery was then stated as "free" across the board.

Cant wait to see what designs and colour schemes they come up with next - keep up the great work guys.
    This, there is no such thing as free delivery. It gets paid for somewhere either hidden in the mark up of the goods or shown for all to see. Don't want to pay for delivery? Go and pick it up and see what that costs you.
  • plodder73
    bsharp77 wrote:

Calm down, I don't know if they are punching above their weight and I never said that I don't own one so I don't know. Nor did I say I wanted free postage. My implication was that the postage seemed to be intentionally placed so you had to buy more than one item.

I am sure Mr Torm ,who has the decency to come on and give me a reasoned explanation appreciates all feedback including suggestions from people like me that he may be losing sales from people like me. £5.99 or whatever it is seems expensive but obviously it's not. Thanks for the explanation Mr Torm.
  • plodder73
    Veronese68 wrote:
    bsharp77 wrote:

This, there is no such thing as free delivery. It gets paid for somewhere either hidden in the mark up of the goods or shown for all to see. Don't want to pay for delivery? Go and pick it up and see what that costs you.

But there is free delivery?
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Calm down, I don't know if they are punching above their weight and I never said that I don't own one so I don't know. Nor did I say I wanted free postage. My implication was that the postage seemed to be intentionally placed so you had to buy more than one item.

I am sure Mr Torm ,who has the decency to come on and give me a reasoned explanation appreciates all feedback including suggestions from people like me that he may be losing sales from people like me. £5.99 or whatever it is seems expensive but obviously it's not. Thanks for the explanation Mr Torm.

Apologies plodder - reading back it comes across as a bit of a rant, good that Torm have clarified everything.
    Think I've my 5th cold of the year coming on which may explain my mood this morning :oops:
  • plodder73
    No problem, get better soon
  • Torm
    Plodder73 wrote:
    bsharp77 wrote:

No problem, it's just me (Paul) and Al at Torm, we're not a big company we're deliberately small and deliberately open about things, I'll answer pretty much any question/query that's thrown at me !
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    I'll pay £64.88 for delivery of a free top if that's ok?

Good stuff guys... love your work!

:mrgreen:
  • veronese68
    Plodder73 wrote:
    But there is free delivery?
    What I mean is there is always a cost but it may be hidden. Packaging and carriage is quite expensive, post has gone up a lot recently. By pushing the buyer into buying two items they are making more margin and can then afford to swallow the carriage cost, that's fair enough. I think that way of doing it is more transparent in fact.
    I may have read your post in harsher terms than it was intended, if that was the case I apologise. Can I blame my response on this pesky cough that I've had for weeks rather than the fact that I'm just a curmudgeonly old git? :wink:
  • plodder73
    Blinking hell two apologies from two poorly posters. No need for apologies and I hope you get better soon. I have decided I am going to buy two after all my whinging.... They had better be worth it. I have been mulling colours and styles for the last hour, I like them all that's the problem.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
    About the cost of delivery and totally off-topic: in pre-election times, it is good to remind people what the new breed of low cost carriers do to keep the costs down and deliver your bike for 5 quid.
    Have you ever received a delivery from MyHermes, DX or similar? Ever noticed that in most cases it is a bloke on a white van or an estate car with no uniform? That means zero hours contract. These people are hired to deliver parcels when there is a need and when there isn't, they'll have to find another way to earn the day.

I would rather pay a little bit more and use UPS or other carrier which actually bothers to offer some dignified form of labour to their staff.
    Maybe it's just me...

rant over
    left the forum March 2023
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    About the cost of delivery and totally off-topic: in pre-election times, it is good to remind people what the new breed of low cost carriers do to keep the costs down and deliver your bike for 5 quid.
    Have you ever received a delivery from MyHermes, DX or similar? Ever noticed that in most cases it is a bloke on a white van or an estate car with no uniform? That means zero hours contract. These people are hired to deliver parcels when there is a need and when there isn't, they'll have to find another way to earn the day.

I would rather pay a little bit more and use UPS or other carrier which actually bothers to offer some dignified form of labour to their staff.
    Maybe it's just me...

rant over

Another view. Neither endorsed nor espoused.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2015/04/economist-explains-7

Edit : Sorry Torm. Love your jerseys. Have several.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • I think Ugo is correct, I know someone who does parcel deliveries for a living and he gets way less than NMW after he takes petrol into account. He only does the job to get out of the house whilst his wife is working.
    If someone is buying a top that costs this much then they obviously can afford the basic postage. If someone was really struggling they would be cycling in cheap wicking t shirts or general everyday clothes etc.
  • Torm

Maybe it's just me...

rant over
    We use our local post office as our courier, we take them down there on our delivery bike ! We could use their business service which is cheaper and they would collect from our shop however we feel it helps keep the local post office open for those who can't travel easily and keeps local people employed.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Top blokes!!
    Buy Torm, save the local Post Office :D
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Worn mine two days running now. Like all great jerseys you can't feel it when on. Lovely. I don't need any more LS versions this season but will be getting at least a couple more in the autumn. Feel just as good as you know which brand.......
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    more full zip short sleeve options pls.
  • Torm
    more full zip short sleeve options pls.
    ...I currently do 2 designs in a total of 8 different colour options....I think that's more SportWool jerseys than any other company...but I'm always looking for new ideas, what did you have in mind ?
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    hey torm,

my point was that (unless i am mistaken) the majority of the short slv options are half/quarter zip