Torm

1111213141517»

Comments

  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,341
    It's not the fact that it's a "sober" colour palette just the choice of sober colours and the colour combinations. That's why I can't quite put my finger on it - I'm able to articulate what it is about the colours. And it's not all of them but it is most of them.
    I think the term for the colour palette you are looking for is, "British Leyland". Some of the colours are rather Morris Marina. But at least some are Mini Cooper, which is okay.

    They are great jerseys, but I promised er indoors I'd always wear something bright, which leaves limited options if you don't like the red ones, which I don't, on account of not supporting Arsenal. Bring back the yellow ones please Torm.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I like the Torm stuff. Only had one jersey which I sold when I dropped weight.

    First Aspect, just tell her if you are going to get hit, you are going to get hit. May as well look good as you get mangled by a car rather than a warehouse worker ;)
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Navrig2 wrote:

    They are probably what one would describe as muted compared to the pro-team jerseys which, by design as adverts, are colourful. Not sure I'd say dull. I have the yellow/Italian flag, royal blue, black Torm's. Apart from the black the colours themselves are reasonably vibrant. I've stopped wearing pro-team shirts and the two I have are consigned to the turbo. For warm holiday riding I've bought a few other makes (Sportful and Xteondo) which are very bright and made from the same stuff as the pro-shirts. I find the sportwool too warm in hot weather.

    Most of the guys I ride wear black so with Torm jerseys I am the most colourful.

    I don't wear pro team stuff either. I can't quite put my finger on what it is about the colours and the colour combinations but it just reminds me of M&S men's clothes of old. Of course, that's just an opinion. I think many of the other small brands have a better eye for colour. Again, just an opinion.

    Out of curiosity. What do you wear Mr Spider? Any examples?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    twist83 wrote:
    Out of curiosity. What do you wear Mr Spider? Any examples?

    From a colours perspective or brands?

    Brands is a mixture: my favourite SS jersey is a white Assos Mille jersey. I also have a white Shutt VR jersey I'm fond of (white isn't very practical though). Long sleeve, I like the Rapha Brevet jerseys for their big pockets and reflective features. As I (rural) commute in them, I have bright colours (green and orange). I have a couple of red/black LS jerseys (a Castelli and another Italian brand whose name escapes me). I have a grey PedalEd jersey too. And a Volagi one that Volagi sent me. So a mix of colours and brands.

    Does that answer your question?

    I rarely choose jerseys by their colour but I would discount jerseys by their colour and that's currently the case with Torm.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Most acceptable response ;) Was not a dig. Just wondered
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    edited July 2017
    twist83 wrote:
    Most acceptable response ;) Was not a dig. Just wondered

    No - it was a fair question. I'm all for choice in the market and the more companies there are, the more likely we are to find what we want at a price we're prepared to pay. Mine isn't so much a criticism of Torm just a frustration that, despite the apparent quality of the products, the colours just put me off. One man's meat...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Agreed. I am a fan of the more subdued colours generally. So like the Torm jerseys. I do have a few brighter jerseys as well. So a good mix.

    A few colours are a little suspect and drab though, I do agree. But then every manufacturer is the same.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    As I (rural) commute in them, I have bright colours (green and orange).

    So green for spring and summer, orange for autumn; perfect camo blend in!
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,832
    If you like that style and merino based fabric then eleven.cc produce some nice colour combinations. A slightly different approach to Torm.

    I was going to design & order couple and have them delivered to the place my wife stayed at on hols a few years ago. I never got round to it and now the prospect of the import duty puts me off.

    https://www.eleven.cc/product-category/ ... ey-shorts/
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    mamil314 wrote:
    As I (rural) commute in them, I have bright colours (green and orange).

    So green for spring and summer, orange for autumn; perfect camo blend in!

    I hope the vegetation is never the greens or oranges of these jerseys else in some post-apocalyptic world!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Navrig2 wrote:
    I was going to design & order couple and have them delivered to the place my wife stayed at on hols a few years ago. I never got round to it and now the prospect of the import duty puts me off.

    From what we've seen, duties etc. are still a very hit and miss affair into the UK. It seems they have quotas that they have to hit at certain points of the month... :shock:

    Of course we may, or may not, do things to lessen the potential blow as much as possible....
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,832
    elevenvelo wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    I was going to design & order couple and have them delivered to the place my wife stayed at on hols a few years ago. I never got round to it and now the prospect of the import duty puts me off.

    From what we've seen, duties etc. are still a very hit and miss affair into the UK. It seems they have quotas that they have to hit at certain points of the month... :shock:

    Of course we may, or may not, do things to lessen the potential blow as much as possible....

    I could have them delivered to Melbourne and our friend could bring them with her when she visits the UK. I'll make enquiries about her next visit.
  • Navrig2 wrote:
    I could have them delivered to Melbourne and our friend could bring them with her when she visits the UK. I'll make enquiries about her next visit.

    That trick always works too!! :mrgreen:
  • If you're interested in trying ELEVEN vélo, here's a 10% discount code: brf-8-17

    We've only ever offered one 'mass' discount a year, so this is pretty rare! :shock:
  • Torm
    Torm Posts: 234
    ExCyclist wrote:
    Great to see Torm doing well. I used to wear their jerseys years ago and when I was blogging about cycling and my bike repair business I pushed them via my blog a lot.

    Sadly I had a sort of mental breakdown after a messy divorce and lost all I'd built up then flogged all my Torm jerseys and basically all my cycling kit either on here or elsewhere. Hence Ex-Cyclist.....

    I think I'll replace with some of their newer jerseys and caps. Really liked their gear.

    Footnote: Just tried to register with Torm so I can buy some bits and bobs. Doesn't seem to be working when I log in yet all info is correct. Sort it out Torm :D

    Thanks for your kind words...as we've got a new website I'm afraid you'll have to register again...sorry.
  • Torm
    Torm Posts: 234
    It's not the fact that it's a "sober" colour palette just the choice of sober colours and the colour combinations. That's why I can't quite put my finger on it - I'm able to articulate what it is about the colours. And it's not all of them but it is most of them.
    I think the term for the colour palette you are looking for is, "British Leyland". Some of the colours are rather Morris Marina. But at least some are Mini Cooper, which is okay.

    They are great jerseys, but I promised er indoors I'd always wear something bright, which leaves limited options if you don't like the red ones, which I don't, on account of not supporting Arsenal. Bring back the yellow ones please Torm.
    Interestingly the yellow ones weren't that popular, I had them on sale at the end. Interestingly the ones that are selling well at the moment are Claret with White, Turquoise with Black and Grey with black...predicting what colours people want isn't easy...although I will never do British Leyland Beige !
  • Torm
    Torm Posts: 234
    Any Merino wool bibs on the horizon? Ibex seem to be the only ones @ 90% Wool.
    Sorry...we only do from the waist up !
  • Torm
    Torm Posts: 234
    Navrig2 wrote:
    They have certainly broadened the colour choice and I think this thread has helped with that.
    .

    Yup - I keep visiting the site based upon the enthusiasm I see on here but I find the colour palette totally uninspiring - sensible but incredibly dull. I can't bring myself to buy anything to try partly because I know that I will always choose another jersey to wear. And, what's worse is that, I don't consider myself someone that is at all fussy about what I wear. But it feels like the cycling equivalent of shopping for clothes in M&S of old: A beige jumper might be sensible and well-made but...
    ...I'll never do a beige jersey...promise...I only have black, red, white, blue, orange, green, grey, turquoise, pink, purple, claret and yellow combinations in my range...what would you like to see ?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,100
    Torm wrote:
    Interestingly the ones that are selling well at the moment are Claret with White, Turquoise with Black and Grey with black...

    I was torn (or should I say torm?) between claret and grey... so I can say I represent your average customer... :-)
    left the forum March 2023
  • ExCyclist
    ExCyclist Posts: 336
    Torm wrote:
    ExCyclist wrote:
    Great to see Torm doing well. I used to wear their jerseys years ago and when I was blogging about cycling and my bike repair business I pushed them via my blog a lot.

    Sadly I had a sort of mental breakdown after a messy divorce and lost all I'd built up then flogged all my Torm jerseys and basically all my cycling kit either on here or elsewhere. Hence Ex-Cyclist.....

    I think I'll replace with some of their newer jerseys and caps. Really liked their gear.

    Footnote: Just tried to register with Torm so I can buy some bits and bobs. Doesn't seem to be working when I log in yet all info is correct. Sort it out Torm :D

    Thanks for your kind words...as we've got a new website I'm afraid you'll have to register again...sorry.

    Aye I spoke to Paul via email about it but ended up ordering a cap and phone cover and paying via Paypal. Have to say - great service and very happy with the items. Top quality again!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Hey Mr Torm you should do some socks to match your excellent jerseys. I have a T7 and T8 and love them both. Great value and quality imo.
  • Torm
    Torm Posts: 234
    ExCyclist wrote:
    Torm wrote:
    ExCyclist wrote:
    Great to see Torm doing well. I used to wear their jerseys years ago and when I was blogging about cycling and my bike repair business I pushed them via my blog a lot.

    Sadly I had a sort of mental breakdown after a messy divorce and lost all I'd built up then flogged all my Torm jerseys and basically all my cycling kit either on here or elsewhere. Hence Ex-Cyclist.....

    I think I'll replace with some of their newer jerseys and caps. Really liked their gear.

    Footnote: Just tried to register with Torm so I can buy some bits and bobs. Doesn't seem to be working when I log in yet all info is correct. Sort it out Torm :D

    Thanks for your kind words...as we've got a new website I'm afraid you'll have to register again...sorry.

    Aye I spoke to Paul via email about it but ended up ordering a cap and phone cover and paying via Paypal. Have to say - great service and very happy with the items. Top quality again!
    That's good to hear...it's just me and Al at Torm but you'll normally end up talking to me as Al spends most of his time in the workshop at SP Cycles which is the bike shop we run.
  • Torm
    Torm Posts: 234
    giant man wrote:
    Hey Mr Torm you should do some socks to match your excellent jerseys. I have a T7 and T8 and love them both. Great value and quality imo.
    Me and Al only do from the waist up!
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I'll be in the market again soon. Have four Torm jerseys / ls tops still going strong after many years of year round use. They're only just starting to bobble but otherwise in top nick. Great kit.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    MrSweary wrote:
    I'll be in the market again soon. Have four Torm jerseys / ls tops still going strong after many years of year round use. They're only just starting to bobble but otherwise in top nick. Great kit.

    N + 1 rule applies