Scott Foil - Westbrook Cycles

Comments

• pedalbasher
    pedalbasher Posts: 215
    Neal1984 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Neal1984 wrote:
    Neal1984 wrote:
    Sorry but this is going to sound like a stupid question. In my defence I've never built a bike and know little about Di2. My main sticking point at the moment is where the SM-JC41 (junction B) goes. Everywhere references it as being internal but with the BB fitted from the factory (not keen to remove it) I fail to see how? Also there's no bracket for it? How have people wired their foils up? This is the internal battery kit.

Removed the BB to do it. Have a bike shop do it - should be 5 mins.

Ah cheers for that. I'd been scratching my head for an hour trying to figure out where it goes. Wonder why they fit it if you need to remove it to wire up the Di2?

It's fairly common for internally routed frames (and not just Di2). Chances are you'll need to replace the BB long before you'll have to mess with the junction box.

I find it a bit strange they fit the BB knowing to route the cabling it will have to be removed again but hey ho thats how it is. I'll try to tap it out later and do the cabling. Prob go to LBS to do the reinstallation as I want to make sure its right. Thanks for all your help. (no doubt a million more questions when I start the actuall assembley process).

My Foil 15 is being built by the LBS as I type, hopefully ready tomorrow. Had exactly the same issue with the BB - find it strange that they put it in at the factory, knowing it has to be removed in order to feed the internal wiring through.

Also had to get a new saddle as the Ritchey 1-bolt system won't accept ovalised rails (I think most Fizik saddles have ovalised rails and my Prologo Nack rails are certainly incompatible). Annoying and worth factoring in before you hit buy!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Also had to get a new saddle as the Ritchey 1-bolt system won't accept ovalised rails (I think most Fizik saddles have ovalised rails and my Prologo Nack rails are certainly incompatible). Annoying and worth factoring in before you hit buy!

Yes it will. There are three different bolts available for 7x7, 7x9.6 and 8x8.5.
    http://ritcheylogic.com/road/seatposts/wcs-carbon-1-bolt-clamp-kit.html
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • jon33
    jon33 Posts: 256
    Right, got my frame, really want to try put it together myself. What tools will I be needing? What type of grease will I need, or will any brand do? Thanks!
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    Just about to remove the BB. Any tips?

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Neal1984 wrote:
    Just about to remove the BB. Any tips?
    See a few pages back! :wink:
  • pedalbasher
    pedalbasher Posts: 215
    Grill wrote:

Yes it will. There are three different bolts available for 7x7, 7x9.6 and 8x8.5.
    http://ritcheylogic.com/road/seatposts/wcs-carbon-1-bolt-clamp-kit.html

But nowhere in the world has these things in stock :(

(looking for 7x9.6 in black)
  • Grill
    Have you tried Epic? Paligap should have them too so you should be able to have your LBS order them for you. I have a 3 of them and didn't find them at all difficult to source...

http://www.probikeshop.com/ritchey-wcs-1-bolt-clamp-kit-for-ovalized-rails-7x9-6/60774.html
  • neal1984
    Just noticed that the internal wires did not come with the cable tie pack that's supposed to stop rattling.

1) do I really need them? Anyone found they rattle without?
    2) if needed can I just used small cable ties that are secured around the wire?

Not being tight but £10 is steep and I don't want to have to wait for them as in shops seem to stock. Was planning on doing the electronics in Saturday.

Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Tie wraps will be fine
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • neal1984
    Tie wraps will be fine

Cheers.

Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • neal1984
    My builds coming along nicely now. Pretty slowly as I'm waiting on wheels being built so just plodding along this week.

The last job to do is fit the rear brake calliper and I was hoping someone could advise me if the outer goes through the frame or do I cut it and just have the cable going through? That appears to make more sense given the grommets that came with the bike?

Lastly I was hoping to check torque specs as the last thing I want to do is over torque anything. So this is the specs I believe I should be using:

Seat post clamp - 12nm
    Saddle clamp - 12 nm
    Brake Callipers to frame / fork - 6nm
    Stem bolts - 5nm
    Crank arm - 14nm
    Rear derailleur - 9nm
    Front derailleur - 6nm (I've only nipped this up and it was creaking?)

As it stands its all together but nothing has been tightened down as I wanted to make sure on specs. This is the specs I believe are correct but I'm happy to be corrected?

Thanks for all your help! Builds gone pretty smooth with all your advice!

Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • jon33
    Started putting mine together, got to attaching the battery and noticed I didn't have the smaller clamp to attach it just the huge one that goes under the bottle cage as well. For anyone that's ordered it did yours come with the smaller attachment? (The pictures posted appear to have them)
  • neeb
    edited June 2014
    Neal1984 wrote:
    My builds coming along nicely now. Pretty slowly as I'm waiting on wheels being built so just plodding along this week.

The last job to do is fit the rear brake calliper and I was hoping someone could advise me if the outer goes through the frame or do I cut it and just have the cable going through? That appears to make more sense given the grommets that came with the bike?
    Outer only goes as far as the frame entry point and fits into the plastic insert, only the cable goes all of the way through. You need another length of outer at the rear brake cable exit point too obviously.
    Neal1984 wrote:
    Lastly I was hoping to check torque specs as the last thing I want to do is over torque anything. So this is the specs I believe I should be using:

Seat post clamp - 12nm
    Saddle clamp - 12 nm
    Brake Callipers to frame / fork - 6nm
    Stem bolts - 5nm
    Crank arm - 14nm
    Rear derailleur - 9nm
    Front derailleur - 6nm (I've only nipped this up and it was creaking?)

As it stands its all together but nothing has been tightened down as I wanted to make sure on specs. This is the specs I believe are correct but I'm happy to be corrected?
    Hmm, my seatpost clamp has 6-10 Nm written on it (I usually do it to about 8 or 9). Saddle clamp is 12 Nm as written on it. Front derailleur - my frame has a sticker on it saying "max torque 40 KGF/CM", which I believe is only about 4 Nm...

The rest depend on the groupset and mine is different, so don't know about them.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    As above, my Foil 10 says 6-10 on the seatpost clamp (8 is enough for it not to slip) and 40KGF/CM on the front derailleur clamp which as already said is the equivalent of 4nm. I have a chain catcher fitted to mine too and 4nm is plenty of torque for nothing to move.
  • neal1984
    Thanks Rob much appreciated. You are correct I noticed after I posted my seat post clamp also states 6-10. I usually target the nominal so I'll go with 8 and see how that goes. FD also says 40 KGF/CM. I've never heard of this unit of measurement but I'll go with that rather than the Shimano specs. I'll run the rear brake cable tomorrow. Cheers again!

Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • neal1984
    Thanks also to need. Sorry I didn't mean to be rude just had a quick glance before bed! Thanks to both of you!!

Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • neeb
    Neal1984 wrote:
    Thanks also to need. Sorry I didn't mean to be rude just had a quick glance before bed! Thanks to both of you!!
    And you spelled my username wrongly too.. :lol:
    No worries, good luck with the build.
  • neal1984
    Haha I'm blaming autocorrect or something else that's not my fault :-)

Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • Just finished building my 52cm Foil up last night. Took it out for a 70 mile test ride round the lanes of the Shire today.

14294023457_d29f6a5d7c_h.jpg
  • neal1984
    Looks great. How did it ride?

Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • Neal1984 wrote:
    Looks great. How did it ride?
    Felt good.
    Replaced my 2003 TCR carbon frame which was a small 44cm - certainly did not feel uncomfortable compared to the TCR. Definitely felt more rigid when climbing and sprinting out of the saddle than the TCR.
    After 70 miles on the reasonably rough roads and lanes around here there were no ill effects.
    I Have the stem slammed atm but it still needs to drop another 2cm to get the same position as on my TCR - just need to get a stem with more 'drop'.
    With the external battery there is not enough room for the seat tube bottle on the small frame - so have ordered the Shimano b.cage adapter http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-ba01-di2-battery-mount-adaptor/rp-prod34650
    Botched a cage for today's ride.
  • jon33
    Just finished building my 52cm Foil up last night. Took it out for a 70 mile test ride round the lanes of the Shire today.

Looking good!

Just a quick question that I'm trying to find an answer to (can't really see from the pic). Did your battery mount come with the small attachment or the long one which runs right underneath the bottle cage?
  • Hereford Flyer
    Hereford Flyer Posts: 26
    edited June 2014
    jon33 wrote:
    Just finished building my 52cm Foil up last night. Took it out for a 70 mile test ride round the lanes of the Shire today.

Looking good!

Just a quick question that I'm trying to find an answer to (can't really see from the pic). Did your battery mount come with the small attachment or the long one which runs right underneath the bottle cage?

Mine came with the long mount like yours. I modified the long mount to become a short mount. Cut the long bit off leaving the last 2 holes on the bracket. Counter sink the top hole and use a 'chamfered' machine screw think it's M4 or so. The oval bottom hole just bolts on with the supplied allen bolt. Use a spacer under each bolt - when mounting on the frame.
  • jon33
    Brilliant, that's what I was thinking about doing - I thought I'd lost a part then for a second!
  • J273
    J273 Posts: 382
    Can anyone advise on size please? Im 181cm tall barefoot (Shade under 6 foot) - 33 inseem (32 trousers)

Many thanks
  • gin0rm0
    gin0rm0 Posts: 40
    J273 wrote:
    Can anyone advise on size please? Im 181cm tall barefoot (Shade under 6 foot) - 33 inseem (32 trousers)

Many thanks

I think you'd need a size large, although there is a size chart based on height if you Google it.
  • neeb
    Yup, I think most people your size would take a 56(L) in the Foil, although of course it depends on a bunch of things in as well as absolute height.

The size chart would put you in the bottom third of the size range of the 56, and at the very extreme top end of the 54. I'm 175cm and the 54 fits perfectly, which corresponds very well with the size chart which puts me right in the middle of that size.
  • neeb
    That said, you've got pretty short legs for your height if that inseam measurement is correct! I guess that means your upper body is long, so probably still 56.

The sizes from 56 upwards come with a 25mm setback seatpost, while the smaller sizes are zero setback. It's possible you might be better off with the zero offset post if you really do have short legs.
  • Grill
    J273 wrote:

Many thanks

Same size and I ride a medium. Large should be okay though.
  • J273
    J273 Posts: 382
    Ok thanks guys. Im primarily a MTB'er and the last road bike i had was a ribble R872 and i was put on a 52.5 which seemed to fit fine even though it looked tiny. I must be too used to mountain bikes.

Geo of the ribble: (size 522)
    ynVZK77.png

And the foil geo:
    ctNXJce.png

Looking at those 2 am i correct in saying the 56 L would be ideal if i found the ribble pretty much bang on?

Many thanks