Scott Foil - Westbrook Cycles

Comments

• pedalbasher
    pedalbasher Posts: 215
    I have the following spare bars and stem combo (from my old Canyon Ultimate CF SLX):

Ritchey WCS EvoCurve bars
    Ritchey WCS 4-Axis 1 1/4 stem

Will they be ok / fit the Foil? If not, any suggestions?

Will also be using my Prologo Scratch Pro Nack carbon saddle and Ultegra carbon pedals. Plus Reynolds Assaults.

Keen to keep weight to a minimum so any other suggestions for weight saving?
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I have the following spare bars and stem combo (from my old Canyon Ultimate CF SLX):

Ritchey WCS EvoCurve bars
    Ritchey WCS 4-Axis 1 1/4 stem

Will they be ok / fit the Foil? If not, any suggestions?

Will also be using my Prologo Scratch Pro Nack carbon saddle and Ultegra carbon pedals. Plus Reynolds Assaults.

Keen to keep weight to a minimum so any other suggestions for weight saving?
    You'll need to replace the stem or else find a shim to take it down to 1 1/8. Everything else will be fine.

If you want to save a bit of weight, maybe sell the 1 1/4 stem and get one of these?
    http://www.dedaelementi.com/index.php?p ... 89&lang=en

Not cheap admittedly, but you should be able to get a few quid on ebay for the Ritchey stem as 1 1/4 ones aren't common.
  • pedalbasher
    pedalbasher Posts: 215
    Cheers, I'll look into that.

"Recommended mounting with Deda Elementi carbon handlebars only."

Presumably I should be looking at the Elementi bars too? :)
  • neeb
    )
    I think they are just trying to sell more bars.. I have one of those stems and it didn't say anything in the instructions that came with it about only pairing it with Deda bars. It would be very unusual to sell a stem that was genuinely bar-specific, and if there was a genuine safety issue they would need to say so far more explicitly.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610

To save more weight and have a stiffer stem and uniform look I'd go with the Ritchey C260.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Grill wrote:

To save more weight and have a stiffer stem and uniform look I'd go with the Ritchey C260.

Any published tests to show that the Ritchey is stiffer than the Deda? And I think you might need to work on your maths a bit! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Grill
    Deda always comes in heavy, but happy to be proven wrong. FWB tested the C260 but not the Deda. I have a few and they're certainly on the stiff side and the difference in clamping mechanisms is why I would assume the Ritchey is stiffer.
  • rolf_f
    Grill wrote:
    Deda always comes in heavy, but happy to be proven wrong. FWB tested the C260 but not the Deda. I have a few and they're certainly on the stiff side and the difference in clamping mechanisms is why I would assume the Ritchey is stiffer.

I think the Superleggera/leggero stuff comes in under weight if anything from what people have posted on line. And a 99g stem at 110mm is probably lighter than a 103g stem at 100mm!

I don't weigh enough or use a long enough stem to need to worry about stem stiffness! :lol:
  • Grill
    If that's the case then it's nice to see that they've changed their practice.
  • rolf_f
    Indeed. Seems very un Italian though!
  • Considering this...

Foil15 with more components, or Team Issue with better carbon, internal battery option (nice), but less components.

Same price ~

Hmmmm..... what to do.

I've stuck with the 15. Your comment about the seat stays logos is valid - they're terrible. I never ever wear team kit when out riding and wou;dn't want all the branding over my bike, it screams "look at me, I think I'm a pro".

I'm slightly miffed about the external battery that comes with the 15 but if I really don't like it in the flesh, I'll either get the internal kit for a couple of hundred or (if I don't like the ride in addition to the battery issue) I'll just sell the complete bike a few months down the line, probably get close to Westbrook price anyway or even make a profit!

I have however, been reliably informed that the seat stay decal diarrhoea is indeed an additional "stick-on", option and not under the lacquer....
  • neeb
    I have however, been reliably informed that the seat stay decal diarrhoea is indeed an additional "stick-on", option and not under the lacquer....
    Yup. Incidentally, if you /are/ applying the sponsor decals, beware that they are sandwiched between the backing paper and an extra transparent top layer that you peel off after applying them. This may not be immediately obvious.

I take a postmodernist approach to the sponsor logos and see them as part of the whole contemporary aesthetics of road bikes. It's a team issue frame, it's /supposed/ to look faux-pro.. :wink:
  • neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    I ordered the team issue the other day and it's being delivered Monday :) I didn't realise the foil 15 was available in black otherwise I would have been tempted! Glad I've got the internal battery thou but price difference of £300 by the time I buy components does hurt a little!

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • neeb
    Sort of off-topic, but has anyone heard any rumors about Scott's plans for the 2015 range as regards the Foil? The current frame has pretty much been unchanged for a few years now, but on the other hand it still holds its own perfectly well against the competition and seems still to be the bike of choice for most pros on Scott sponsored teams.

My guess is that they might do some minor tweaks along the lines of Bianchi's changes from the Oltre => Oltre XR => XR2, but keep the basic design. I hope they at least continue the Foil model name, along with the Addict it has become iconic for Scott in the same way that the Madone has for Trek, Tarmac & Venge for Specialized etc.
  • Grill
    Haven't heard a thing and haven't seen the pros riding anything different. The only thing I can think of that they might change is perhaps bringing out a lighter model that uses HMX-SL.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Local bike shop who deal with Scott a lot said that something new was incoming but not 100% on if it was a remodel of something new
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • neeb
    I guess we'll know by the time the TdF starts..
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Tempted by the team version and i have a spare 6800 chainset and the fact the chainstay logos are optional.
    Would look great with deep section tubs

Matt
  • Grill
    sa0u823e wrote:
    Local bike shop who deal with Scott a lot said that something new was incoming but not 100% on if it was a remodel of something new

There appears to be a new tri-specific Plasma in the works with direct mount rear brake, bento box and nose cone (with possible integrated hydration).
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    matt-h wrote:
    Tempted by the team version and i have a spare 6800 chainset and the fact the chainstay logos are optional.

Matt

Mine with the RS80 C50s on (excuse the crappy photo)

Foil.JPG
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    matt-h wrote:

Matt

Mine with the RS80 C50s on (excuse the crappy photo)

Foil.JPG

crappy photo all right - its upside down ! :D
  • So you opted to put the decals on the seat tube and the OGE decal on the front, or where they already on?
  • meanredspider
    edited June 2014
    crappy photo all right - its upside down ! :D

Funny you should say that. It's the right way up in my browser! And it's the right way up in the iPad album. But the FTP tool I used showed it upside down. I tried inverting it first and it STILL appeared upside down in the FTP app! God knows what's going on!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    So you opted to put the decals on the seat tube and the OGE decal on the front, or where they already on?

Came like that. It doesn't bother me TBH but I also wouldn't mind if they weren't there.
  • neeb
    I think that's one of the earlier 2013 (or late 2012) versions - the decals are exactly the same as on the frames ridden by OGE in 2013.

The later 2013 Team Issues (like mine) have "Foil" on the side of the headtube, lack the OGE logo on the fork and don't have the seat stay & Shimano logos pre-applied.

It's the same this year - the actual bikes that OGE are riding are a little different from the 2014 Team Issue frames that are being sold. They don't have the blue bits on the chain stays for example.
  • neal1984
    Sorry but this is going to sound like a stupid question. In my defence I've never built a bike and know little about Di2. My main sticking point at the moment is where the SM-JC41 (junction B) goes. Everywhere references it as being internal but with the BB fitted from the factory (not keen to remove it) I fail to see how? Also there's no bracket for it? How have people wired their foils up? This is the internal battery kit.

Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • meanredspider
    Neal1984 wrote:
    Sorry but this is going to sound like a stupid question. In my defence I've never built a bike and know little about Di2. My main sticking point at the moment is where the SM-JC41 (junction B) goes. Everywhere references it as being internal but with the BB fitted from the factory (not keen to remove it) I fail to see how? Also there's no bracket for it? How have people wired their foils up? This is the internal battery kit.

Removed the BB to do it. Have a bike shop do it - should be 5 mins.
  • neal1984
    Neal1984 wrote:

Ah cheers for that. I'd been scratching my head for an hour trying to figure out where it goes. Wonder why they fit it if you need to remove it to wire up the Di2?

Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • Grill
    Neal1984 wrote:
    Neal1984 wrote:

Ah cheers for that. I'd been scratching my head for an hour trying to figure out where it goes. Wonder why they fit it if you need to remove it to wire up the Di2?

It's fairly common for internally routed frames (and not just Di2). Chances are you'll need to replace the BB long before you'll have to mess with the junction box.
  • neal1984
    Grill wrote:
    Neal1984 wrote:
    Neal1984 wrote:

It's fairly common for internally routed frames (and not just Di2). Chances are you'll need to replace the BB long before you'll have to mess with the junction box.

I find it a bit strange they fit the BB knowing to route the cabling it will have to be removed again but hey ho thats how it is. I'll try to tap it out later and do the cabling. Prob go to LBS to do the reinstallation as I want to make sure its right. Thanks for all your help. (no doubt a million more questions when I start the actuall assembley process).

Boardman Team Carbon LTD