Scott Foil - Westbrook Cycles

cgrenn
cgrenn Posts: 206
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Need some help,

Got about £1,500 to spend on a new bike. Saw an Amazing deal on Westbrooks for a Scott Foil with Di2 for £1,300. Already have Mavic Cosmics so the wheels wont be an issue.

Just read that you need to assemble yourself. Anyone had any experience putting together Di2, if not how much roughly is it to get your LBS to assemble?

Thanks all

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    you should ask your LBS - mine charges around £120 for the job.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Don't forget it's just the frame, fork and groupset (stem too?). So you'll also need, handlebars, seatpost, saddle etc?
  • cgrenn
    I think It comes with 'FOIL Aero Seatpost'

Ohh yeah forgot to add the Handlebars saddle!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    It's actually really easy, especially on that frame. It's an absolute bargain and makes me want to add another Foil to my stable. :D

You will need stem, handlbars, saddle, pedals and wheels. Other than that it should come with everything else.

Also, be absolutely certain that you use a torque wrench on the seatpost clamp and don't over-torque it. There are horror stories out there although by following my own advice I've never had issue on either of mine.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cgrenn
    Grill wrote:
    It's actually really easy, especially on that frame. It's an absolute bargain and makes me want to add another Foil to my stable. :D

You will need stem, handlbars, saddle, pedals and wheels. Other than that it should come with everything else.

Also, be absolutely certain that you use a torque wrench on the seatpost clamp and don't over-torque it. There are horror stories out there although by following my own advice I've never had issue on either of mine.

Aww thanks for the advice Grill. With torque wrenches what sort of a good/cheap one?
  • Grill
    I use M Part (same as the BBB). You can get the for £35 here: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.M-Part-Torque-Wrench_45214.htm
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    If just for seatpost bolts and stem bolts then the preset ones are probably sufficient - Bontrager and Ritchey do ones for £15
  • Grill
    andyrr wrote:
    If just for seatpost bolts and stem bolts then the preset ones are probably sufficient - Bontrager and Ritchey do ones for £15

Except they're not as the seatpost requires 8-10nm and the saddle clamp is 10-12nm.
  • Grill wrote:
    I use M Part (same as the BBB). You can get the for £35 here: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.M-Part-Torque-Wrench_45214.htm

Excellent. I need one of these for my new foil.

By the way, my shoes are black with yellow trim, as is the helmet and my bib shorts. Black gloves. This was fine with my old red/white Raleigh. However the foil is black with yellow trim.

Is it acceptable / encouraged to colour co-ordinate bike and clothing to this extent?
  • Grill
    ? The Foil is silver...

And there's no need to match the bike. Pretty much the only people that vested in coordination ride Bianchis...
  • Grill wrote:
    ? The Foil is silver...

And there's no need to match the bike. Pretty much the only people that vested in coordination ride Bianchis...

I know there's no need, it's happened by accident

My Foil is black and yellow

2013-09-20-18.36.18-500x332.jpg
  • cgrenn
    Grill wrote:
    ? The Foil is silver...

I quite like that... Anything Matt affect has me!
  • Grill
    Grill wrote:
    ? The Foil is silver...

Haha, had you confused with the OP for a minute! Don't worry about matching. I've got a pink bike and don't worry about those sort of things.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Grill wrote:
    andyrr wrote:

Except they're not as the seatpost requires 8-10nm and the saddle clamp is 10-12nm.

Ok, fair enough - it seems that 4 - 5 nm is common for those bolts but the Foil is obviously quite different.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Im quite taken on getting one if these as winter bike. Is the silver "silver" or is it the tungsten type grey i see riding around mallorca? If its grey i will have one but the silver dont look that good to me in the flesh. Is a bargain though when you look at other stuff around
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,878
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,878
    Grill wrote:
    ? The Foil is silver...

That's beautiful!
    I too am a huge fan of black and yellow, my Matt black CR1 SL is going to be 'highlighted' with various yellow bits, as like yourself I have loads of black and yellow kit, and also another black and yellow bike :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • cgrenn
    Im quite taken on getting one if these as winter bike. Is the silver "silver" or is it the tungsten type grey i see riding around mallorca? If its grey i will have one but the silver dont look that good to me in the flesh. Is a bargain though when you look at other stuff around

I think its Silver "silver". The Tungsten Gray type seem to be Scotts 2013 Model.

The Frame on offer seems to be a 2012 Model? Anybody correct me if I'm wrong!
  • richiegwy
    richiegwy Posts: 171
    Does anyone know if there are differences between the 2012 frame and current frames apart from paint?
  • gotwood25
    gotwood25 Posts: 314
    CGRenn wrote:

I think its Silver "silver". The Tungsten Gray type seem to be Scotts 2013 Model.

The Frame on offer seems to be a 2012 Model? Anybody correct me if I'm wrong!

No you are right, the 2012 model is a bit garish. I have the 2013 which is the matte grey one which is lovely (if I do say so myself).

As far as I am aware the frames are identical to the current model other than finish. I actually aint too keen on the 2014 livery, the new decals just don't do it for me.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    9579206878_fe2fb158fd_z_d.jpg

My ex-Westbrook Di2 Scott Foil HMX - very happy with it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    CGRenn wrote:
    Need some help,

Got about £1,500 to spend on a new bike. Saw an Amazing deal on Westbrooks for a Scott Foil with Di2 for £1,300. Already have Mavic Cosmics so the wheels wont be an issue.

Just read that you need to assemble yourself. Anyone had any experience putting together Di2, if not how much roughly is it to get your LBS to assemble?

Thanks all
    See ... http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... allation-1
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Meanredspider, nice bike you have there. Was tempted when they had them on offer last year.

Yeah not keen on that silver i like the matt coloured one. Im gonna pass even though its a bargain i would always think about the colour and i dont like it.
  • cgrenn
    Humm I do love the 2013 Model.

Think I'm going to take the plunge and purchase it sometime this weekend. Quite exited about the build now, Garden + Westmalle + Sunshine!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Meanredspider, nice bike you have there. Was tempted when they had them on offer last year.

Yeah not keen on that silver i like the matt coloured one. Im gonna pass even though its a bargain i would always think about the colour and i dont like it.

Thanks it's very good - comfortable enough for a day in the saddle.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Grill

Do it! My Foil is now my winter bike. It will actually take 28c tyres which is nice (if not a bit unnecessary).
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Anyone got the Foil and fitted Crud Roadracer mk2's?

Have a CR1 SL with DA9000 groupset and C24's and looking at this Foil for a "winter" bike but would need guards for half the year at least.
    Already have Campag Zondas 11sp on another bike as my winter wheels so a wheelset is covered.
    Cheers, Stu
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    duckson wrote:
    Anyone got the Foil and fitted Crud Roadracer mk2's?

Have a CR1 SL with DA9000 groupset and C24's and looking at this Foil for a "winter" bike but would need guards for half the year at least.
    Already have Campag Zondas 11sp on another bike as my winter wheels so a wheelset is covered.

Yep, fitted the Roadracers ok on a foil 20.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • loukir
    loukir Posts: 65
    Can anyone recommend handlebars/ stem please.
  • Grill
    I use Ritchey WCS C260 (best weight to stiffness and money stem on the market) and Ritchey WCS Curve bars on two of my bikes.