Scott Foil - Westbrook Cycles

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    It would certainly make sense to take a bike like that with you to the next world. But what sort of influence would having your internal organs pickled in jars have on your FTP? And are you insured against tomb robbers?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    edited June 2014
    borisface wrote:
    You appear to live in an Egyptian pyramid.

I'm back in Arizona at the moment and my dad happens to be an Egyptophile. He has more sarcophagi than I have bikes!
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Grill wrote:
    I'm back in Arizona at the moment and my dad happens to be an Egyptophile. It's has more sarcophagi than I have bikes!

He's actually 2,000 years old.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Are they sending out Foil's in black/grey rather than silver?
    I go to the webpage and it shows silver then when I enter the frame size etc details it shows a black/grey frame.

This link ;
    http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott- ... Hz3YTw_wcB
    Cheers, Stu
  • cgrenn
    cgrenn Posts: 206
    duckson wrote:
    Are they sending out Foil's in black/grey rather than silver?
    I go to the webpage and it shows silver then when I enter the frame size etc details it shows a black/grey frame.

This link ;
    http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/scott- ... Hz3YTw_wcB

Yeah its the Black Grey Frame you get!
  • duckson
    Is the battery still external?
    Does the headset come fitted like the BB seems to do?

(sorry the search option on the forum is bust!).
    Cheers, Stu
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Grill wrote:
    borisface wrote:
    You appear to live in an Egyptian pyramid.
    <br abp="933"><br abp="934">I'm back in Arizona at the moment and my dad happens to be an Egyptophile. He has more sarcophagi than I have bikes!

I wonder what the right number of sarcophagi to own is...... :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jgarpotter
    jgarpotter Posts: 83
    duckson wrote:

The battery is external, the headset doesn't come fitted, but you receive everything you need, although you will want to cut down the fork.

Finished my build:

ypXpNtA.jpg
  • jon33
    jon33 Posts: 256
    Went to the local(ish) store today to have a look at some Scotts. Didn't have any foils so didn't get a chance to see them but I did ride an addict, which was brilliant, felt super light an responsive - anyone ridden both? Hopefully a Foil feels similar as the Addict was ALOT more expensive than a Foil so I'm still leaning towards the Foil. The guy at the store was saying how uncomfortable Foils are.

Realistically on a 50mile ride am I going to get off an Addict feeling fine and get off a Foil feeling crippled? Or in the real world is there not much difference?
  • jgarpotter
    jgarpotter Posts: 83
    jon33 wrote:
    Went to the local(ish) store today to have a look at some Scotts. Didn't have any foils so didn't get a chance to see them but I did ride an addict, which was brilliant, felt super light an responsive - anyone ridden both? Hopefully a Foil feels similar as the Addict was ALOT more expensive than a Foil so I'm still leaning towards the Foil. The guy at the store was saying how uncomfortable Foils are.

Realistically on a 50mile ride am I going to get off an Addict feeling fine and get off a Foil feeling crippled? Or in the real world is there not much difference?

I've only ridden the addict on the turbo so I can't offer any advice there!

I've done two rides on my foil so far, a 31 miler (steady), my arms felt dead slightly the next day but nothing major, and then a 63 miler that next time, but it ended up being a fixer because my cables came out at the shifter and I didn't know what the issue was but carried on riding, still did an okay avg. speed of 17mph, and I was fine the next day - just had cramp from over spinning. I am using 25mm tyres though, but the ride isn't that bad - my specialized allez is far worse.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    jgarpotter wrote:
    duckson wrote:

The battery is external, the headset doesn't come fitted, but you receive everything you need, although you will want to cut down the fork.

Finished my build:

ypXpNtA.jpg
    Now that is lovely.....I have the silver 2012 frame but that is much nicer I'm very jealous
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    I have a 2013 Foil Premium and 2011 Addict R3. Since it was built in April I've covered 1000km on the Foil. Longest ride a mere 103km. The carbon spec of the two is different, so it's not a fair comparison, regardless the Foil is significantly stiffer and on some road surfaces hammers away through the bars a bit. It isn't an issue for me, and I'm intending to ride it for the 152 mile 'Flat Out In The Fens'.

Personally I reckon that while the Addict is less uncomfortable than the Foil, if comfort is a serious issue then probably neither should be in the frame (sic).

(2013 Foil Premium frame came through my LBS at less than half list price, it's a really nice bike, but perhaps stealth grey is a bit last year....)

Paul
  • jon33
    paul2718 wrote:
    I have a 2013 Foil Premium and 2011 Addict R3. Since it was built in April I've covered 1000km on the Foil. Longest ride a mere 103km. The carbon spec of the two is different, so it's not a fair comparison, regardless the Foil is significantly stiffer and on some road surfaces hammers away through the bars a bit. It isn't an issue for me, and I'm intending to ride it for the 152 mile 'Flat Out In The Fens'.

Personally I reckon that while the Addict is less uncomfortable than the Foil, if comfort is a serious issue then probably neither should be in the frame (sic).

(2013 Foil Premium frame came through my LBS at less than half list price, it's a really nice bike, but perhaps stealth grey is a bit last year....)

Paul

Thanks for that reply, Paul. Sounds like you prefer the Foil out of the two?

Another thing to consider (I hate shopping and having to pick between things...) is that the Foil can be had with Di2, having never used it is it something that will significantly tip the balance towards the Foil?
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    jon33 wrote:

The guy was talking BS in my opinion. I've had my Foil 10 a few weeks now, and the longest two rides I've done have been 57 miles which included over 5,000ft of climbing with Holme Moss in there, and a flatter 103 mile Sportive last weekend. I got off the bike with nothing aching but my arse because I need to change the saddle to a wider one. I'm 38 and reasonably flexible but am no racing snake with a yoga degree.

Yes the frame is massively stiff, but that makes the bike superb on the flat and up hills. The only time it's harsh is on bad road surfaces, then I won't lie it's a bit of a boneshaker. But I do run 23c tyres with 100 front 110 back which isn't going to help. (I know I don't need those pressures weighing 72kg but I don't like the feel of softer tyres).

I bought the bike mail order, and my big worry was that it would be uncomfortable for long rides and that I'd have wasted £3k. Happily that's not the case at all!
  • jon33
    NorvernRob wrote:
    The guy was talking BS in my opinion. I've had my Foil 10 a few weeks now, and the longest two rides I've done have been 57 miles which included over 5,000ft of climbing with Holme Moss in there, and a flatter 103 mile Sportive last weekend. I got off the bike with nothing aching but my ars* because I need to change the saddle to a wider one. I'm 38 and reasonably flexible but am no racing snake with a yoga degree.

Yes the frame is massively stiff, but that makes the bike superb on the flat and up hills. The only time it's harsh is on bad road surfaces, then I won't lie it's a bit of a boneshaker. But I do run 23c tyres with 100 front 110 back which isn't going to help. (I know I don't need those pressures weighing 72kg but I don't like the feel of softer tyres).

I bought the bike mail order, and my big worry was that it would be uncomfortable for long rides and that I'd have wasted £3k. Happily that's not the case at all!

Thanks for that reply, leaning towards the Foil for the price/Di2!
  • pauljink
    pauljink Posts: 51
    Im the last couple of years I've ridden an Allez, a Roubaix, a Canyon SLX and a Foil 15. The Allez was easily the most uncomfortable, and there wasn't much between the other 3 in regards to comfort.
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    I picked up a foil 15 frame w/ di2 from Cycledivision. I'm 46, 77kgs, not particularly supple and have not found the Scott to be uncomfortable in the slightest. I've done about 10 rides so far, maybe 5-600kms - the longest 120 kms and 3,000m ascent - without any issue whatsoever. It feels stiff for sure and very sure-footed, it descends and climbs excellently. All my descents feel a bit quicker than before and have got a fair few KOMs. The di2 is good too although I'm glad I got it as part of a great deal and probably wouldn't bother otherwise. The bike it has replaced: a dolan mythos w/ Force seems floppy in comparison but no more comfortable in my experience. I can't honestly say that the shifting is a sea change from the force.

I've had neck/shoulder pains on longer rides in the past but quite a lot of whether or not a bike is comfortable is down to the fit. The Scott seems to have a fairly tall headtube and plenty of steerer tube which has mean that getting a good fit has been straightforward for me as I struggle to get really low, although, I actually have fewer spacers than on the dolan.

I had spare bars/stem/wheels, tyres etc/bar tape already, so basically, for £1400 I've ended up with a £4k bike. What's not to like?
  • duckson
    Foil has a short headtube?

Small is 120cm, my CR1 SL in small is 136mm in comparison.
    Cheers, Stu
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Fairly tall ie not small XL = 180mm Perhaps its just me but it seems fairly high at the front.
  • duckson
    Yea wierd, its a race geo....but if you like it its all good. :)
    Cheers, Stu
  • jon33
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I think you've made my mind up!

But that's only the frame... :'(

Now I've tried the search function, which doesn't seem to be working (honest!). So I need to wheels to accompany the Foil. Seems like a minefield, I'd rather not stick a crap set of wheels on and I'd prefer to get it from a store so I can stick it on the finance.

Couple of things have popped up from my googling - Shimano Dura Ace 9000 C24 at around £600 down from £800 (this seems to review well). Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Mega G3 again around £600 down from £900. There's hand built but I honestly wouldn't know where to start with them. Thoughts?
  • duckson
    I have DA C24's but would go RS81's if i had my choice again (same rims), they are great wheels though. Saying that i'd go handbuilt for cheap(er) repairs if required.

Handbuilts probably Pacenti SL23 rims eg http://thecycleclinic.eu/collections/ro ... s-t11-hubs

Or

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/race24

If you weigh quite a bit i would go definitely handbuilt as you can spoke them up more.
    Cheers, Stu
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    borisface wrote:
    Fairly tall ie not small XL = 180mm Perhaps its just me but it seems fairly high at the front.
    The Foil has a fork that is about 1 cm longer than standard, so you need to add 10mm to the head tube heights to get the equivalents on most bikes. Although increasingly more bikes are coming out with non-standard fork lengths, so head tube heights are in danger of becoming rather loosely related to actual frame stack height.
  • jon33
    Seems like wheelsmith are behind at the moment and can't get any wheels out for the next three weeks. Which is a shame as I was hoping to get the bike stuck together before then.

Their race 24 wheel was at an ideal price, does anyone have any other alternatives for around £450-500 that are of similar quality?

Also what stem/handlebars would people recommend to complement the Foil? (and don't break the bank)

Thanks
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Ritchey WCS C260 and WCS Curve.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • duckson
    Cheers, Stu
  • pedalbasher
    pedalbasher Posts: 215
    I am about to hit buy on the black model (frame and Di2).

Just wanted to triple check sizing.

I have been riding a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX in size M but it was a touch too big for me - ended up with not quite enough seat post showing, a 90mm stem and saddle a touch further forward than ideal.

I am 5"8 and a bit!

Was going to hit buy on the Foil in 52 as that seems to be comparable to the Canyon in size S, which would have been ideal.

But should I go for 54? I don't want to fall into the trap of sizing up and then being left with a bike that I feel is a touch too big. A 120mm stem is better than an 80mm, right?!

For what it's worth, I have long ish legs (32.5 inside leg) but a short torso.

Many thanks
  • pedalbasher
    And one other question:

If I want to run an internal di2 battery rather than the external one that comes as part of the deal, can I simply buy the internal (seat post) battery (either 6870 or the DA 9070 one)? Presumably I might need to get different cables too, thinking about it, as the lengths might not be the same as required for the external battery.
  • duckson
    I am 5ft 8in and 30.3" inside leg and ride a 52cm CR1 SL with 110mm stem & 5mm spacer (only cus Scott say i have to have 5mm minimum). Maybe could of also ridden the frame one size smaller. Its obviously a more relaxed geo than the Foil.

If i was going for a Foil personally i'd be going for a 54cm probably (but not certain!) as there will be more seat post showing than on the my CR1 (top tube meets the top of the seat tube on the Foil) and the Foil has a very short 120mm head tube in the 52cm frame which would lead me to needing some spacers & a 110mm stem.....a slammed 100mm stem on the 140mm head tube in the 54cm might be better! Its a difficult decision though!
    Looking at their size chart 5ft 8in (~173cm) is top end 52cm and bottom end 54cm so neither i guess is 'ideal' middle of the road.
    Cheers, Stu
  • pedalbasher
    Thanks a lot. After much deliberation and geo comparisons, I've gone for the 52. The TT on the 54 (M) is 55 which is longer than my slightly-too-big Canyon. Ultimately I have shortened the reach on the Canyon by about 3-4 cm from stock/standard position, so pretty sure the 52 will work for me. Plus I do the occasional triathlon so a slightly more compact position will help with that (tri bars).

I'm definitely short in the torso so think I've done the right thing sizing down rather than up. Fingers crossed!

Out of interest why do Scott say you need a 5mm spacer minimum?