Scott Foil - Westbrook Cycles

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Grill wrote:
    Dude, these are Di2 cables...
    <facepalm> Yup, that would make sense.. :)

No idea then. But don't go cutting them..
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    CGRenn wrote:
    Just had a quick go and it worked ! Thanks for your help neeb.

I have the day off work tomorrow to do the build and was just lying everything down. What size cables go were? I have the following;

1 X 300mm

2x350mm

1x600mm

1x700mm

1x1000mm

thanks for all your help once again all

Can't say for certain without knowing battery placement, but here's my best guess.

2x 350 if for the shifters to EW-90A
    1x 300 front mech to JC41
    1x 6/700 rear mech to JC41
    1x 6/700 battery to JC41
    1x 1000 JC41 to EW-90A

This is one of the best resources for Di2: http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-everything-you-need-to-know/

Also worth noting is that if you don't have the internal battery then you may have to go to a shop to get the firmware updated.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cgrenn
    cgrenn Posts: 206
    You were bang on the money grill. Worked all perfectly.

Pretty gutted. I believed my novotec hub to be 11 speed but is in fact 10. Anybody know if I can just switched the bodys around? Or will I need a new hub?
  • Grill
    Good to hear. I'm swapping my TT bike from 7970 to 6770 this weekend so I've been doing a lot of research as prep.

Should be able to buy a freehub body but there's a chance you may have to redish the wheel.
  • cgrenn
    Ahh would love to see some pictures Grill!

I just spoke to Pearsons my LBS. Good Lads, but said I have to either swap the whole hub (£230) or buy a new wheel. Only Carbonzones so I guess mine will be going on the Classifieds tonight, and ordering another one tonight.

Sad times
  • cgrenn

I just spoke to Pearsons my LBS. Good Lads, but said I have to either swap the whole hub (£230) or buy a new wheel. Only Carbonzones so I guess mine will be going on the Classifieds tonight, and ordering another one tonight.

Sad times
  • Just got myself one of these and about to start building it up. Am I correct in thinking the lower headset bearing races are moulded into the fork and frame as there wasn't a separate race for the fork and there's only bare carbon on the frame? Seem to recall reading somewhere in the past this is the case...
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    Yep that'd be right. Just a smidge of grease on the bearings and press the race in. Let me know how you get on with the rubber grommets on the pre-drilled holes for the front mech and battery pack. The hole seems too small for the grommet.
  • Cheers for confirming, just wanted to check... Haven't got further than unpacking thus far but will let you know how I get on with the grommets.
  • jgarpotter
    jgarpotter Posts: 83
    Has anyone else had problems with the rubber covers for the frame holes (for the di2 cables)? I can get the battery and front mech covers in fine but the rear derailleur and the cable that goes from the junction box to the port both seem impossible to get in?
  • richiegwy
    richiegwy Posts: 171
    I only received oval ones with the bike and had the same problem. I found round versions from evans, I think, and they worked a treat
  • jgarpotter
    jgarpotter Posts: 83
    richiegwy wrote:
    I only received oval ones with the bike and had the same problem. I found round versions from evans, I think, and they worked a treat

I'll have to a look at them, the oval ones don't fit at all! Will probably have to use tape in the short run...

EDIT: Managed to get the rear derailleur grommit to fit, just need to sort out the grommit for the cable going from the junction box to the port.

EDIT2: Got them all in, had to use change them around, not sure why though!
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Grill wrote:
    Also worth noting is that if you don't have the internal battery then you may have to go to a shop to get the firmware updated.
    Not 100% true, if you have EW-90A and the newer charger/USB programmer (£65) for the internal battery, which is much cheaper to buy than the older style firmware device (£135), then you can use that to do the firmware. You cannot firmware the external battery but it works 100% fine on everything else and all is still compatible. It does mean you have to buy the £65 charger and you can only use it for firmware and not charging, but it can technically be done and once done 2-3 times pays for itself anyway. If you don't want that, then save yourself a few pounds on the EW-90A and 2 x cables and just buy the older style 6770 junction/cable set for £39.
  • borisface
    jgarpotter wrote:
    richiegwy wrote:

I'll have to a look at them, the oval ones don't fit at all! Will probably have to use tape in the short run...

EDIT: Managed to get the rear derailleur grommit to fit, just need to sort out the grommit for the cable going from the junction box to the port.

EDIT2: Got them all in, had to use change them around, not sure why though!

How did you do it? Was it just a case of wriggling them about, and trying different grommets to get a fit?
  • jon33
    jon33 Posts: 256
    Looking at the 2013 Scott Foil 20 at the moment, but then seen this. I've heard the wheels on the Foil 20 aren't great. Would a better alternative be buying the frame/group set and then selecting a different set of wheels?

Could the price be kept below £2000?
  • borisface
    Easily below £2k.

£1400 frame and groupset
    £80 bars, stem & bar tape
    £50 saddle
    £350 wheels, tyres, tubes
    £20 bottle cages

What's that less than £1900?

The wheels will be the thing, sky's the limit really. But you should be able to get something for £300ish. Something like a fulcrum 3 or a campag zonda will keep the cost down and represent more or less best bang for the £. Lots of threads on £300 wheels on here.

You may have to budget for someone to build it if not confident but its pretty easy only allen keys really apart from the BB.
  • Grill
    jon33 wrote:
    Looking at the 2013 Scott Foil 20 at the moment, but then seen this. I've heard the wheels on the Foil 20 aren't great. Would a better alternative be buying the frame/group set and then selecting a different set of wheels?

Could the price be kept below £2000?

They're fine for what they are, but I'd go with the Westbrook deal as it's amazing.

Or you can buy my 2012 Foil 20 for £1,000... ;)
  • jon33
    borisface wrote:
    Easily below £2k.

£1400 frame and groupset
    £50 saddle
    £20 bottle cages

The wheels will be the thing, sky's the limit really. But you should be able to get something for £300ish. Something like a fulcrum 3 or a campag zonda will keep the cost down and represent more or less best bang for the £. Lots of threads on £300 wheels on here.

You may have to budget for someone to build it if not confident but its pretty easy only allen keys really apart from the BB.

Thanks for the reply, always wanted to build a bike from scratch so quite excited by the idea! Would the £300 wheels be an improvement over the stock on the foil 20?
  • Grill
    They'd be of similar quality at weight from new, but if you sourced used then you could do a bit better.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    jon33 wrote:
    borisface wrote:
    Easily below £2k.

£1400 frame and groupset
    £50 saddle
    £20 bottle cages

Thanks for the reply, always wanted to build a bike from scratch so quite excited by the idea! Would the £300 wheels be an improvement over the stock on the foil 20?

I put these http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product-info.php?CERO_AR30_Superlight_Alloy_Clincher-pid133.html on my build they're great and only 1395g
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • primalcarl
    primalcarl Posts: 579
    Anyone know how long delivery takes on this deal from Westbrook, would I get it by the weekend if ordered tonight?
  • Grill
    Maybe, but it wouldn't ship until tomorrow. You can always call and ask.
  • jon33
    Thanks for that link, they look great. Will they be ok for an 85kg rider?

I have a few more questions if you guys don't mind!

34/50 is a compact chainset?

Will I notice any difference between crank arm length? Not sure which I need between 172.5mm and 175mm. I have a 34inch inside leg so I'm thinking about going for the 175.

And again too many options, which cassette? 11-25 or 11-28? What's the difference?
  • Grill
    jon33 wrote:

Will I notice any difference between crank arm length? Not sure which I need between 172.5mm and 175mm. I have a 34inch inside leg so I'm thinking about going for the 175.

And again too many options, which cassette? 11-25 or 11-28? What's the difference?

1. At your peril. I'm lighter and wouldn't ride them
    2. Yes
    3. No, 175 is probably a better bet
    4. 11-28 unless you never plan on climbing
  • aha$$all
    aha$$all Posts: 16
    Get a rose all in £1850 carbon di2
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Grill wrote:
    jon33 wrote:

1. At your peril. I'm lighter and wouldn't ride them
    2. Yes
    3. No, 175 is probably a better bet
    4. 11-28 unless you never plan on climbing

I am 90 kg - I have the Cero wheels and ridden them for nearly 5000 miles and had no issues - I would get in touch with cycle division - their guys do know what they are talking about.
  • Grill
    CGRenn wrote:

Sad times

Ask and you shall receive. Here it is in training guise (I use a disc and trispoke for races).
    10300169_10154246375560541_492397201985287088_n_zps965aaf0c.jpg
  • Holy sh*t that looks amazing! :shock:
  • cgrenn
    Grill wrote:
    CGRenn wrote:

Sad times

Ask and you shall receive. Here it is in training guise (I use a disc and trispoke for races).
    10300169_10154246375560541_492397201985287088_n_zps965aaf0c.jpg

Mate... Those Qrings look the dogs. :shock:
  • borisface
    You appear to live in an Egyptian pyramid.