London Ride 100

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rubertoe wrote:
    A couple of Questions for the un prepared.

When do i need to pick up my bits from Excel? (assuming it is excel)
    When is the actual ride?
    Anyone else heading down from High Barnet area want to stop me from getting lost?
    You can pick up bits from ExCEL from the Thursday (7th) to Saturday (9th)
    Ride is on the 10th!
    No.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    You are no help... I actually got lost in regents park last night FFS
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • there are indigenous cyclists in Richmond Park you could just follow them round though you may have to buy a Dynamo shirt. I am pretty sure they live there so will be no help outside the park walls
  • rubertoe wrote:
    Anyone else heading down from High Barnet area want to stop me from getting lost?

Head in a south-easterly direction and after a short while you should see a lot of cyclists for 5am on a Sunday morning so follow them. If you reach the Thames or M25 you have gone too far :wink:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Rolf F wrote:
    Never has so much been written by so many about such an average sportive! :lol:

Good luck to you all with it.

Don't know if this is tongue in cheek but average? Plenty of other sportive events that get closed roads in London and Surrey?

Riding through central London without traffic is something to behold I can tell you.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    ... Dynamo shirt. I am pretty sure they live there...

Live there? Don't you know they own the place?

:wink:
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Don't know if this is tongue in cheek but average? Plenty of other sportive events that get closed roads in London and Surrey?

Riding through central London without traffic is something to behold I can tell you.

The closed roads in London should be fab, in Surrey of less intrest.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

The closed roads in London should be fab, in Surrey of less intrest.

Yes, it is a pity that the closed London roads come at the beginning. Wimbledon and Putney are good but an empty NKR and Embankment it a lonely place to be.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Actually Surrey is pretty cool. There were people out last year and if you are a child like me(!) there is something fantastically exciting about riding on the wrong side of the road...
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    rubertoe wrote:

Eeeerrrr, I think I might have just changed my plans for going down to the park with you!!!!!
  • rubertoe
    PBo wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Eeeerrrr, I think I might have just changed my plans for going down to the park with you!!!!!

:!: :wink:

Good job I'm not club ride leader or anything...

I'll pm you the route tomorrow :lol:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Current weather predictions look ominous for Sunday!! :(
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    FoldingJoe wrote:

Time Wind Temp Precip
    04:00 SW 6 mph to 8 mph 11 C 0 mm
    07:00 SSW 6 mph to 9 mph 12 C 0 mm
    10:00 SSW 9 mph to 14 mph 19 C 0.3 mm
    13:00 SSW 13 mph to 18 mph 19 C 0.5 mm

Looks alright to me.... whats the issue?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rubertoe
    FoldingJoe wrote:

Dont worry, Castelli have sold 15000 Gabba's in the last two weeks.... :wink:

I didnt buy one.

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    rubertoe wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:

I didnt buy one.

At 25c it's going to be far to hot for a Gabba.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • elbowloh
    rubertoe wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:

I didnt buy one.
    Yes, but they don't come into stock at Evans until...10/08/14.

BBC weather app is saying thunderstorms for Sunday. Yay!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    FoldingJoe wrote:

I didnt buy one.
    Yes, but they don't come into stock at Evans until...10/08/14.

BBC weather app is saying thunderstorms for Sunday. Yay!

BBC weather is biased against the Tories. It is a plot to make us believe weather is better under labour... try www.uk.weather.com far more upbeat and more importantly much more accurate
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Rode Leith and Box on Sunday. Strava has me at 8th place (for the year) and 50th overall (all time) on Leith. Hopefully bodes well for Sunday! Genuinely surprised by that as my legs felt very heavy until I was 40 miles into the planned 60. http://www.strava.com/segments/6691321

On another note, Box Hill was wall to wall with utter choppers on Sunday. One bloke fell off making the turn onto the climb (2nd time I've seen that happen this year). Lots of people who seemed unable to hold their line when ascending. Makes me a little worried about this weekend...
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Rode Leith and Box on Sunday. Strava has me at 8th place (for the year) and 50th overall (all time) on Leith. Hopefully bodes well for Sunday! Genuinely surprised by that as my legs felt very heavy until I was 40 miles into the planned 60. http://www.strava.com/segments/6691321

On another note, Box Hill was wall to wall with utter choppers on Sunday. One bloke fell off making the turn onto the climb (2nd time I've seen that happen this year). Lots of people who seemed unable to hold their line when ascending. Makes me a little worried about this weekend...

A friend and myself were up Ranmore Common, then through Peaslake etc to Leith and then up Box Hill on Sunday. Was a glorious day for it. Some daft bint had hit a car coming down Box Hill (looked as if she had been on the bridleway) causing a massive jam. It meant that we could slip past on the bikes and the traffic was fine apart from some fat, leather clad choppers on noisy w*nkerish motorbikes.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    menthel wrote:
    A friend and myself were up Ranmore Common, then through Peaslake etc to Leith and then up Box Hill on Sunday. Was a glorious day for it. Some daft bint had hit a car coming down Box Hill (looked as if she had been on the bridleway) causing a massive jam. It meant that we could slip past on the bikes and the traffic was fine apart from some fat, leather clad choppers on noisy w*nkerish motorbikes.

Paulsr.jpg

Whut?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:

Paulsr.jpg

Whut?

Nah, they were on "fast" bikes not biker bikes! Its quite funny to see then squeezed into the leathers, their massive frames teetering on the top of their bikes. Its a bit like a fat bloke cycling in lycra, except without the redeeming features of a cyclist- that they are actually getting some exercise and the cycling kit will wick some of the sweat away! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • elbowloh
    Its because of Rykers Café down at the bottom of the hill. Been a bikers hangout for years, especially on Sundays. They used to race up and down Mickelham bends, although it became harder for them when they reduced the southbound side to 1 lane.

(I grew up in Dorking)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • menthel
    elbowloh wrote:
    Its because of Rykers Café down at the bottom of the hill. Been a bikers hangout for years, especially on Sundays. They used to race up and down Mickelham bends, although it became harder for them when they reduced the southbound side to 1 lane.

(I grew up in Dorking)

I know Ryker's and the multitude of bikers. I just don't like them and their noisy, antisocial machines all that much in any circumstances. I doubt many would pass whatever noise regulations we have in force!
    RIP commute...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    didn't the welcome pack say we could rock up for registration on Thursday or Friday?
    I cant find the paperwork
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Yes, you need to take your passport or driving license as ID and your reg docs.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    antfly wrote:
    Yes, you need to take your passport or driving license as ID and your reg docs.

Ta
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    I'm coming down for this with a couple of work colleagues. We're staying at the Premier Inn at Buckhurst Hill. Anyone know that neck of the woods and what the roads are like into Stratford? I'm guessing even the main roads will be pretty quiet at 0500 on a Sunday...
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I'm coming down for this with a couple of work colleagues. We're staying at the Premier Inn at Buckhurst Hill. Anyone know that neck of the woods and what the roads are like into Stratford? I'm guessing even the main roads will be pretty quiet at 0500 on a Sunday...

Quiet other than those coming back from a night out. Amusing watching people stumbling around.

Route is fairly straightforward and most a gentle down hill roll to the Olympic park. About 7 miles. Here's a route, Premier Inn is just below the bit that says Buckhurst Hill. http://www.strava.com/activities/72081999

The ride back though is around 14 miles. First 10 through traffic and lights. Last 4 a gentle uphill grind.
  • My work colleagues are taking great glee in pointing out the news of Hurricane Berrha coming through on Sunday.

Would definitely make life interesting.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Indeed. Thunderstorms forecast on the BBC. If it's raining, I don't know whether to take my non mudguard, and 23c equipped road bike, or my mudguard and 28c equipped (but heavier) touring bike. I know how bad Leith Hill can get in the wet......
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this