London Ride 100

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Just to point out I did my first ever 100 mile ride (sportive) on the back of the usual 12 mile each way commute with a couple of 40 mile loops out.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    rubertoe wrote:
    I'll meet you in the first pub that is open on the route Veronese.

Now that's a plan. An enforced pint stop (minimum one proper pint) lasting no less than 45 minutes at four nominated pubs en-route. Would make comparing overall times far more "roleur"-friendly and should offset the natural advantage the spindly-legged climber types have. Only problem is Rick Chasey would have to remember to take ID else he wouldn't get served.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    First 'rest' stop at the Albert just after Kingston Gate? Mind you it won't be open at that time. How are we going to recognise each other? Drunk and weaving?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    It might be open by the time I get there...I'll be the one that is leaving a trail of destruction... either that or follow the bottle tops trail that i'll leave
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    Duvel rattling away in the bottle cages?
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Don't forget, if you see some woman riding around with a bottle of dry white wine on a Trek smoking a Marlboro menthol*, that will be me.

*I haven't started again, I just had a couple of lapses :oops:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rubertoe
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Duvel rattling away in the bottle cages?

I might just fill my camelback with it. although it will get flat and warm

The stopping idea sounds best...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• veronese68
    msmancunia wrote:
    Don't forget, if you see some woman riding around with a bottle of dry white wine on a Trek smoking a Marlboro menthol*, that will be me.

We'll be outside a pub by the sound of it. :D
  • msmancunia
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

We'll be outside a pub by the sound of it. :D

So I see. Southern amateurs. You should rendezvous outside one of those pubs near Smithfield Market that open about 3am for the traders and have a pint before you set off :-)
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    I expect to see scenes like this on Leith Hill:

tumblr_mq5b4lVx1z1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i just withdrew :(

Withdrew!! Withdrew?? You'd better have a good excuse....
    .....like, I don't know, ....a ruptured tendon?

Eh? ....oh.....
  • veronese68
    msmancunia wrote:
    So I see. Southern amateurs. You should rendezvous outside one of those pubs near Smithfield Market that open about 3am for the traders and have a pint before you set off :-)
    What's your start time? We could be in real trouble by then.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    PBo wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Eh? ....oh.....
    :(
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Up until April I was in the best shape I've ever been in, even averaged 20mph on a 160 mile ride.

TBH I'm not sure where I'm at at the moment. I'm commuting 25 miles each way, but can't seem to get my average speed back in to the 20s. Permanently tired due to long commute, working hard and looking after the family.

But my speed is the least of my worries. SWMBO is ready to pop out our second son - due date is Monday... If he's a no show come Sunday gawd knows what I'm gonna do??? I've been having visions of being half way up Leith Hill and getting the call.

On top of that I'm still trying to raise funds. If any of you have a spare tenner for the MNDA then please help me out:
    https://www.justgiving.com/mlccpru100/
  • veronese68
    spasypaddy wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Eh? ....oh.....
    Did you manage to get it deferred?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    yeah but you dont get a refund and you have to pay for next year in october. so basically just means a guaranteed place
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Veronese68 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Eh? ....oh.....
    Did you manage to get it deferred?
    You can get a ruptured tendon deferred?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • msmancunia
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    What's your start time? We could be in real trouble by then.

Haha - if I see a load of half-cut layabouts outside one of the pubs I'll assume it's you lot.

No idea what my start time is yet - we got given a couple of very last minute team entries for supporting the ride so we've had to cobble together our teams based on who isn't on leave. All I know so far is that I'm doing it :shock:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    So, I've got a pass to the VIP tent in the morning; tea, coffee, juice, sausage and bacons sarnies. Oh and I don't have to go through the load period so I can stay in bed a bit longer.

Go me.

I believe that the Bliss tent at the finish line also has a masseuse for Bliss riders.

This charity lark has it's benefits.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    So is anyone meeting anywhere afterwards? The Morpeth isn't that far from the Mall...

Although having also had most of the planned training fall by the wayside, I'm not entirely sure what time I'll be doing it in! At the moment, having ridden the commute bike more than the 'fast' bike this year, I'm seriously thinking about doing on that - despite the rack, mudguards and disc brakes just for the comfort factor!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Never has so much been written by so many about such an average sportive! :lol:

Good luck to you all with it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    Rolf F wrote:
    Never has so much been written by so many about such an average sportive! :lol:

Good luck to you all with it.
    Take a look at the thread in the road routes section. :shock:
    There are some people taking it way too seriously.
  • veronese68
    So is anyone meeting anywhere afterwards? The Morpeth isn't that far from the Mall...
    Great idea, but it's on the route to the finish so will probably be really busy. Any other pubs around there we should meet at?
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Is the route going up or down Ranmore common road from westhumble? The road is a right bloody state. There are repairs going on at the moment (the road is closed but they didn't mind a cyclist going up today). The repairs didn't look all that comprehensive and going down it at speed in a group would be treacherous as it stands.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Gutted to not be doing this year... At least I have a place for next year sorted.

For the meet up at the end, can I suggest you all leave your bikes in the very well run secure bike parking provided at the mall, they give you a wrist band with a number and an identical one for the bike and it worked well last year, and then meet in the fan park towards green park station that way people can join as they finish. There is a Sainsbury's or something similar at green park that sells beer or you could do what I did and have the wife meet with a four pack and a hip flask*. There are also big tents you can change in once you pick up your kit bag so you can be fresh!

*Please note that I am in not why condoning the user of beer or spirits as recovery following a 100 mile bike ride......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    If anyone hasn't yet decided how they're going to get to the start area, the following might be an option for you.

Last year, I had the wife drive me up the A3 and drop me off just near the OXO tower. I then cycled the last few miles to the Olympic Park (easy cycle and lots of people doing it - crossed at London Bridge).

I have an earlier start time this year and I don't think the wife will be persuadable to get up sufficiently early.

As it happens, there is an APCOA carpark on Cornwall Street (a couple of hundred yards from Waterloo Station) that is open and manned 24 hours a day (http://www.apcoa.co.uk/parking-in/londo ... -road.html). It's only £20 for 24 hours.

And it should be an easy getaway after the event too (being south of the Thames).

I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going to do. But note to self - car park has height restricting barriers - do not use roof rack for bicycle!
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    For anyone who is worried about being late, I did it last year and I am doing it again this year and there is nothing to stop you going in a later wave if you are late. Ignore the advice about getting there an hour earlier, you will be standing around for ages. Also, it was pretty cold last year at 5 am so maybe take a lightweight jacket or something.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • rubertoe
    A couple of Questions for the un prepared.

When do i need to pick up my bits from Excel? (assuming it is excel)
    When is the actual ride?
    Anyone else heading down from High Barnet area want to stop me from getting lost?

• veronese68
    I'm going to Excel on Thursday evening to pick up my stuff. I did a bit of training last night, a short ride followed by a couple of pints.
    The ride isn't for ages yet, plenty of time to prepare and do training type stuff.