• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    coriordan wrote:
    London-Red wrote:
    Entered. Wonder if I'll get a hat-trick of rejections :roll:

+1

+2!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Sketchley wrote:
    Well I've entered, but I should have a place carried over from this year, which I find out about in October. So I didn't donate this time. I did last year and have to pay again for the carried over place anyway. Please note the ballot closes once they have 100k entries which I don't think will take very long.

If you've got a place carried over from this year then why do you need to enter again?
    (I think) I've got my place deferred from this year - so assumed that was that?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Slowbike wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    Well I've entered, but I should have a place carried over from this year, which I find out about in October. So I didn't donate this time. I did last year and have to pay again for the carried over place anyway. Please note the ballot closes once they have 100k entries which I don't think will take very long.

If you've got a place carried over from this year then why do you need to enter again?
    Deferring guarantees you a place this year, but you still have to pay for it I think.

I'd assume the rationale is that the entry fee last year paid for the event. The event wasn't cheaper for them because you didn't turn up. They still need to pay for this year, so you still need to pay too.

Edit: May have misread and you weren't querying the payment, but just the need to go in the ballot again.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Al deferees will have to pay again.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • slowbike
    dhope wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Deferring guarantees you a place this year, but you still have to pay for it I think.

I'd assume the rationale is that the entry fee last year paid for the event. The event wasn't cheaper for them because you didn't turn up. They still need to pay for this year, so you still need to pay too.

Edit: May have misread and you weren't querying the payment, but just the need to go in the ballot again.
    I wasn't querying the payment - just the apparent need to go in the ballot? Perhaps I'll give the helpdesk a call. :)
  • slowbike
    helpdesk said I don't have to do anything - just wait for them to contact me ... :)
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    My missing kit bag appears to have developed quantum properties - the act of checking with the helpdesk seems to change the location and indeed very existence of the bag itself. Last week they didn't have it, then later when I called to discuss compensation they told me they did have it. Today I call to check when they'll be couriering it back to me and they don't have it again. :roll: :x
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    edited August 2014
    Maybe I didn't need to enter again, which is why I didn't pay upfront this year. My thought process was that the ballot closes at 100k entries, if something went wrong with deferment then I'd want to be in the ballot so I entered.

I don't have a lot of faith in their systems as I got lots of emails prior to the event telling me start times etc, plus a congratulations on completing the event email and click here to view your photos after. They did tell me via email that I was down as withdrawn and to ignore the emails but....

Anyway if their systems are fine I've used the same email I used last year so their system should be able to sort out the fact I have a deferment.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    My missing kit bag appears to have developed quantum properties - the act of checking with the helpdesk seems to change the location and indeed very existence of the bag itself. Last week they didn't have it, then later when I called to discuss compensation they told me they did have it. Today I call to check when they'll be couriering it back to me and they don't have it again. :roll: :x

Are they looking in the right box? Did they find a cat? Was it dead or alive?
    --
    Chris

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Hmmm.... I may have entered but I was not asked for any money....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rubertoe

me neither... maybe full up.

If so I will go down the charity route. I have several charities that i'd like to support.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    You have two options for registration - prepay the fee or not. I chose not to therefore no downside to registering for the ballot. If you prepay there are some upsides if you lose out e.g. free jersey, additional second chance ballot.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dhope
    rubertoe wrote:

me neither... maybe full up.

If so I will go down the charity route. I have several charities that i'd like to support.

You're not asked for money unless you choose to donate.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    I thought that was the case. although i am sure that i had to pay last year in advance of the ballot...

or that is what the Nigeran sounding guy who I spoke to who asked for my pin and 3 digit security code said.

• sketchley
    As above you have the option to donate your entry fee if unsuccessful. I did this last year and was successful. However, I withdrew and do not get it back and have to pay again next year. I didn't get a Jersey either.
    --
    Chris

• keyser__soze
    Sketchley wrote:
    Are they looking in the right box? Did they find a cat? Was it dead or alive?

Given the weather on the day and the wet kit placed in a waterproof bag, I suspect if it's ever returned the cat is well and truly dead given what it'll smell like.
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    menthel wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

+1

+2!

+3

Odds have to give one of us a pretty good chance of getting in!
  • slowbike
    Sketchley wrote:
    As above you have the option to donate your entry fee if unsuccessful. I did this last year and was successful. However, I withdrew and do not get it back and have to pay again next year. I didn't get a Jersey either.
    I paid for lastyear too - you had to if you wanted to defer your entry ... so you end up paying twice for the privilege of riding - but as I'd got in and couldn't do the date this year it seemed sensible to pay the £48 rather than entering the gamble for getting a place in next year's ride.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Lefthook wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

+1

+2!

+3

If you don't get on and you are desperate to do it, just pick a charity and get a guaranteed place. You only have to raise 500 quid for some.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    antfly wrote:
    Lefthook wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

+1

+2!

+3

If you don't get on and you are desperate to do it, just pick a charity and get a guaranteed place. You only have to raise 500 quid for some.

Did that this year and thoroughly enjoyed it, but won't next. It would still be a hat-trick of ballot rejections if I don't get in though...
  • antfly
    Fair enough, I did it for charity last year but got on through the ballot this year.
  • antfly
    BigMat wrote:
    3:23 for me. Didn't have the legs for the sprint after crashing on Wimbledon Hill and burying myself to get back on. I reckon I would have snuck in under 4 hours if it was the full distance! ;)

That's impressive, is that your official time because that would make you one of the very fastest to finish the ride as the fastest time was 3.23.23 ?
  • keyser__soze
    He was one of the very fastest. Hat.
  • rubertoe
    No one told me it was a race.

• dhope
    rubertoe wrote:
    Silly Commuter Sportive
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    dhope wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Silly Commuter Sportive

Ffs I didn't get the meme.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,646
    antfly wrote:
    Lefthook wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    London-Red wrote:

+1

+2!

+3

I'd struggle to raise £500 unfortunately so it's either ballot or nothing.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Do a team entry through your club, we had about 10 I think, over 100 riding on the day when you include those who got in through the ballot.