London Ride 100

Comments

• alansd1980
    alansd1980 Posts: 201
    Would anyone be interested in a route recce/training ride early one Sunday?

Just realised it's not the usual up and down of leith hill and a lot of the roads are unfamiliar so riding them before there are hundreds if others might be an idea. Always make plans to go out but if it's arranged it's harder to find excuses to stay in bed.
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    training before an event? ....pah!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • alansd1980
    I only left it till 4 weeks before!
    FCN 4
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    not ridden in a wee, been drinking 6+ pints a day and eating double cheese burgers - perfect prep in fact I might need to top up my fluid levels now, just in case 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • alansd1980
    Went out today to scope out the surrey section of the route.
    All nice enough but with closed roads the descents will be epic. Did the climb to new lands and boxhill
    The climb up leith hill is closed for resurfacing for several weeks so had to take a detour up a more narrow lane, bit of a bugger and as it was wet has some wheel spin issues!

Really looking forward to this now.
    FCN 4
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I seem to have got roped in to this, with a free place from work. No idea what wave or where we're all going to stay yet, but I'm sure we'll get it sorted out. Quite excited but that chunky Kit Kat I just ate will be the last one for three weeks :-(
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    msmancunia wrote:
    I seem to have got roped in to this, with a free place from work. No idea what wave or where we're all going to stay yet, but I'm sure we'll get it sorted out. Quite excited but that chunky Kit Kat I just ate will be the last one for three weeks :-(

So you're ranting about being given something that everyone else has been fighting tooth and nail to get? I don't think you've quite got the hang of this ranting lark... :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    msmancunia wrote:

So you're ranting about being given something that everyone else has been fighting tooth and nail to get? I don't think you've quite got the hang of this ranting lark... :P

But I'm not ranting and I'm not in the Rants... thread! I'm just a bit shocked that I actually agreed to do it :lol:

(I am foregoing a ticket to the England vs India Test at Old Trafford the day before which I got my Uncle as a Christmas present. It's a bit mean, given that I bought two tickets for him and me to go, but he jumped at the chance to take one of his cricketing mad mates for free instead of his favourite niece...)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Kieran_Burns
    By the way - please pardon the question but I've just looked at the route: what's the whole 100 route and Classic route thing? Also, where the heck does the classic route go at that Southern bit?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    alansd1980 wrote:
    All nice enough but with closed roads the descents will be epic.

It's in Surrey. The descents won't be epic! The only epic things in Surrey are the house prices. :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    By the way - please pardon the question but I've just looked at the route: what's the whole 100 route and Classic route thing? Also, where the heck does the classic route go at that Southern bit?

The Classic is the professional race that goes off afterwards. The route maps are pretty poor tbh, especially if you don't know the area.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Kieran_Burns
    Asprilla wrote:

The Classic is the professional race that goes off afterwards. The route maps are pretty poor tbh, especially if you don't know the area.

2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Rolf F wrote:
    alansd1980 wrote:

It's in Surrey. The descents won't be epic! The only epic things in Surrey are the house prices. :lol:

Newlands south in the dry is a brake free decent, 40mph (ish) Leith Hill is a little longer but shallower.

I like Coldharbour Lane off Leith Hill and Combe Lane but both are much tricker and they have wisely avoided them.
  • alansd1980
    Rolf F wrote:
    alansd1980 wrote:

The only epic things in Surrey are the house prices. :lol:

Dont have to tell me about that!

Still maintain on the closed road the descents will be mega epic!
    FCN 4
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Asprilla wrote:

I've plotted it out with MapMyRide w.r.t. on the one on the website (wanted some idea of the where the climbs are), so if anyone wants a GPX they can download it here:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/471374740
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    itboffin wrote:
    not ridden in a wee, been drinking 6+ pints a day and eating double cheese burgers - perfect prep in fact I might need to top up my fluid levels now, just in case 8)

This is me, my training has been minimal and involves copious amount of duvel, the training starts on Sunday, 2 weeks to get fit. What's the problem...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I was in BoxHill on Wednesday, having a break on the MTB, chatted to a few roadies who where training for box/leith since they didn't know the area, the cafe woman and I did point out that though short Wimbledon hill was as steep as BoxHill and a fair number of riders may not realize its there.
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    alansd1980 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    alansd1980 wrote:

Assuming the route hasn't changed since last year, Newlands Corner descent is lovely, can easily top 40mph with relative ease.

Leith Hill descent, tight winding roads with rocks and trees either side and very little room for manouvre. Take it very steady! I averaged about 22 mph with my brakes screaming for relief and it still felt too fast.

Enjoy it! I did it last year and it was amazing. Didn't sign up for it this year as we had our 2nd child at Xmas. Probably have a go at getting in for next year though.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    IanREmery wrote:
    alansd1980 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    alansd1980 wrote:

Assuming the route hasn't changed since last year, Newlands Corner descent is lovely, can easily top 40mph with relative ease.

Leith Hill descent, tight winding roads with rocks and trees either side and very little room for manouvre. Take it very steady! I averaged about 22 mph with my brakes screaming for relief and it still felt too fast.

Enjoy it! I did it last year and it was amazing. Didn't sign up for it this year as we had our 2nd child at Xmas. Probably have a go at getting in for next year though.

Box Hill can and should be done flat out as there is another sharp incline which can be overcome with momentum
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Rubertoe....
    I'm cycling down from Oakwood for a 7.17 start, 15 minutes earlier doesn't make much difference when getting up at ridiculous o'clock... What route where you thinking, maybe we could head down together?
  • rubertoe
    Pbo.

Pm me, we will sort something out, I'll probably cycling down with club mates, but you would be welcome to join us.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Just found this thread, added myself to the table.

Question - I'm planning on riding up to the start from Crystal Palace, which route should I take to get to the start? In particular I'm wondering which bridge to cross...

Name_____________Wave________Start_______Expected Time
    itboffin.....................Blue A..............6:00..............
    tetm........................Orange A...........6:02.............Not as fast as willy b last year
    BigMat......................Orange A...........6:02............3:59 (got to aim high!)
    turnstyle...................Orange A...........6:02............ 4hrs 31 last year, hopefully faster this year.
    Cat With no Tail .........Orange D...........6:12 .............4hrs 45
    Mpdouglas................Orange D...........6:12..............4hrs 49
    Cyclingprop...............Orange D...........6.12.............. ~5 hours.... on no training... lol
    Wrath Rob................Yellow A............6:15.............. 4hrs 15
    Spasypaddy...............Orange C...........6.22.................. Sub 5 hours
    Alansd1980................Blue G..............6:25..............5 Hours hopefully...
    London-Red...............Blue G..............6.25...............5hrs 30
    TheStone..................Blue G..............6.25...............5hrs 00 (aiming for sub-5, but unlikely)
    Coopster 1st..............Orange E...........6:27................4h 50m, maybe 4h 45m
    W12 Lad...................Black J.............6.37................sub 5.30
    TimothyW.................Yellow C............6:40...............5:30 ish
    Asprilla.....................Black A.............6:42...............5hrs
    Cycler00...................Black A.............6:42...............
    Monkey Monster.........Blue L..............6:45............... 5hrs 15ish too (aiming for sub 5 but we'll see...)
    FoldingJoe................Blue L...............6:45................ 5hrs 30ish
    marcusjb..................Black B..............6:52................on the tandem to have a good time, not to do a good time
    Rubertoe.................Green A ........... 7:00............ sub 6 Hours
    Elbowloh.................Green A.............7.00..................5 hours 30ish
    Daddy0....................Orange K...........7:12..................5hrs would be nice
    Veronese68..............Blue N...............7:15................6 hrs
    PBo........................Black D.............7.17................ 6 h
    Applespider.............Yellow F............7.30...............6.45
    Leeefm...................Black G.............7:47................ 6hrs 30
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Just found this thread, added myself to the table.

Question - I'm planning on riding up to the start from Crystal Palace, which route should I take to get to the start? In particular I'm wondering which bridge to cross...

Name_____________Wave________Start_______Expected Time
    itboffin.....................Blue A..............6:00..............
    tetm........................Orange A...........6:02.............Not as fast as willy b last year
    BigMat......................Orange A...........6:02............3:59 (got to aim high!)
    turnstyle...................Orange A...........6:02............ 4hrs 31 last year, hopefully faster this year.
    Cat With no Tail .........Orange D...........6:12 .............4hrs 45
    Mpdouglas................Orange D...........6:12..............4hrs 49
    Cyclingprop...............Orange D...........6.12.............. ~5 hours.... on no training... lol
    Wrath Rob................Yellow A............6:15.............. 4hrs 15
    Spasypaddy...............Orange C...........6.22.................. Sub 5 hours
    Alansd1980................Blue G..............6:25..............5 Hours hopefully...
    London-Red...............Blue G..............6.25...............5hrs 30
    TheStone..................Blue G..............6.25...............5hrs 00 (aiming for sub-5, but unlikely)
    Coopster 1st..............Orange E...........6:27................4h 50m, maybe 4h 45m
    W12 Lad...................Black J.............6.37................sub 5.30
    TimothyW.................Yellow C............6:40...............5:30 ish
    Asprilla.....................Black A.............6:42...............5hrs
    Cycler00...................Black A.............6:42...............
    Monkey Monster.........Blue L..............6:45............... 5hrs 15ish too (aiming for sub 5 but we'll see...)
    FoldingJoe................Blue L...............6:45................ 5hrs 30ish
    marcusjb..................Black B..............6:52................on the tandem to have a good time, not to do a good time
    Rubertoe.................Green A ........... 7:00............ sub 6 Hours
    Elbowloh.................Green A.............7.00..................5 hours 30ish
    Daddy0....................Orange K...........7:12..................5hrs would be nice
    Veronese68..............Blue N...............7:15................6 hrs
    PBo........................Black D.............7.17................ 6 h
    Applespider.............Yellow F............7.30...............6.45
    Leeefm...................Black G.............7:47................ 6hrs 30

Blackwall tunnel.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • PBo
    So, how's everybody feeling. Prepared? Looking forward to it? apprehensive?

It's going to be great! Although, please, no sh!t weather..

Can I also at this point, quite shamelessly and blatantly direct you to my sig in case anyone feels this is a charity worth supporting?

Ithankyou

PBo
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I have a sore on my foot from wearing flip-flops that won't heal, a saddle sore on my bum from the BWC, my back hurts and suddenly my saddle feels like it's in completely the wrong position.

So, things are going great.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rubertoe
    PBo wrote:
    So, how's everybody feeling. Prepared? Looking forward to it? apprehensive?

It's going to be great! Although, please, no sh!t weather..

Can I also at this point, quite shamelessly and blatantly direct you to my sig in case anyone feels this is a charity worth supporting?

Ithankyou

PBo

I'll tell you how I feel.

I have been back on the bike for 3 days after a 3 week lay off due to illness and holiday. My legs are like jelly today and last nights extended commute home has probably done nothing to help me try and get some fitness back.

Basically I think the whole thing is going to be a struggle and I am going to rely heavily on my club mates for shelter and support.... I shall be dumping my bike at my office by the mall when I finish and be going either to sleep there or on the tube on the way home, But probably to the pub....Oh and I have been drinking alot of Duvel recently but as itboffin says, its ok, its carb loading.

On a positive note. I am about 4kgs lighter than I was before I got ill and I am so far manageing to keep the weight off, so there is less of me to drag round.

:lol:

• PBo
    So, going well for you two then!!
  • rubertoe
    Its London, its flat, how hard can it be....

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I think I'm less prepared than Rubertoe or Asprilla.
    I have done hardly any riding other than my short commute and a couple of extra laps of the park. There's still plenty of time for training isn't there?
    I think I will just get through by sheer bloody mindedness. I bought some Rubino Pro tyres as they should roll more easily compared to the Randonneur Cross tyres that I have at the moment. I reckon the drop in rolling resistance will make all the difference. Perhaps.
  • rubertoe
    I'll meet you in the first pub that is open on the route Veronese.

All day drinking when you should be riding a bike for the win.